HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Is It Worth it???

I am in the process of looking at converting one of my Mustangs to race in Super Stock, I know I have been talking about it and asking questions for some time, but the ultimate question is..

Is it all worth it?

Jumping through all the hoops, rules, right part #'s, and all???

My car would be an easy fit in any of the index classes, but there is just something about the Stock Super Stock class that keeps me looking...

Why do you guys do it? instead of just run an index?

Thanks..
NMRA 2012 Outlaw 10.5 #10
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: Is It Worth it???

Freddie,

My age is 67, I can offer a view after 52 years drag racing. I have raced stock, the old gas classes, the 90's classes, crate motor stock, and lots of bracket racing.

Just now I am returning to class racing with the construction of an S-10 for super stock GT.

For me, the allure of class racing is the structure and competing with race cars of similar design. I like the qualified fields, the organized competition, racing with cars with similar performance.

There is simply nothing that suites me better. Just coming of several years of successful bracket racing it has become ho hum, I look forward to some new challenges.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

If you are looking for monetary reward then it's not worth it.
If you appreciate the work to make your car competitive, like being around people who are passionate about the sport and you like being behind the wheel and feeling your heart thumping, then it might be worth it.

JimR
Old 07-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,042 Times in 274 Posts

To quote Tommy Lee Jones from the original "Men in Black":

"Yeah, yeah, it's worth it. If you're strong enough."
Old 07-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Freddie,
Class racing is just cool... but lot of money and time involved.
I know - I know, lot of money with any racecar... but SS/S is different.
I don't have the years that Larry quoted, getting there, but have ran a lot of different cars and classes too. I like stock. I like the challenge and the structure of class racing. Would love to do it at a stronger level than I do now...
With that said, you need a different level of time, money and commitment to run S/SS vs. bracket racing. If you do not have the time and MONEY to put up, this drags you down, and that is why a lot of people sell cars, or they sit not finished for a long time. You need to test, and test and test... Just a different commitment. The guys that are really fast in class, are the tweakers. And spend a lot of money trying things(or they have the money to just go buy the latest and greatest).
You can race class cars without trying to win class, but if you are slow in class, then you are trying to dodge the guys on the ladder, etc. Makes it much harder to win.
If you just want to be able to go race when you feel like it, then brackets or maybe a .90-index class is a better fit.

Good luck, which ever way you go.

Ken
Kegracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone, I know there is a different level of commitment, and I dont know of too many racers who do it for the $$$...
Old 07-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

A lot depends on where you live also.

Take me, for example. Other than Norwalk (140 miles), Columbus (170 miles) and Pittsburgh (85 miles), every other NHRA/IHRA race is three hundred plus miles one way. Out west is worse for many. I would basically have to budget a thousand dollars (or more) per weekend to go racing, when you count gas, tolls, motels, entry etc etc etc.

Also, depending on where you live, I highly recommend building an NHRA-legal car. All NHRA classes are also in IHRA; IHRA has many classes not in NHRA. Some S/SS combo races do not allow IHRA cars (stupid), so that would eliminate an alternative avenue.

Time is another factor. Depending on what you run, you are looking at needing three to five (or more) days off potentially each time you race an NHRA/IHRA race. 2003, I was gone eighteen weekends a year at NHRA, IHRA and combo races (and a weekend bracket race). 35-40 nights that year in hotels (not cheap).

Is it worth it? To some, yes. To me, no. Every year, the costs went up, the bullsh!t went up, the fun went down, until I decided that it wasn't worth spending a thousand dollars (or more) and taking 3-5 days off, travelling 300-400 miles each time I wanted to race, and *hope* I enjoyed it. And, at age twenty-seven in 2007, I said "F it" and quit. I can find other things to do, more fun and a hell of a lot less money, than Class Racing.

Sorry if this is a grim scenario, but it is better to know the time, money and effort required beforehand.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
Is it worth it? To some, yes. To me, no. Every year, the costs went up, the bullsh!t went up, the fun went down, until I decided that it wasn't worth spending a thousand dollars (or more) and taking 3-5 days off, travelling 300-400 miles each time I wanted to race, and *hope* I enjoyed it. I can find other things to do, more fun and a hell of a lot less money, than Class Racing.

Sorry if this is a grim scenario, but it is better to know the time, money and effort required beforehand.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
No truer words were ever spoken on the subject. Calculate the total amount of time spent in the car on the track vs. the $$ (in dollars AND time) spent to get there, and that will pretty much answer the original question. In my experience, a very large number of class racers are motivated more by the social aspect of the events than the actual racing.

Last edited by Bill Harris; 07-20-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Some interesting replies...

I figure no matter how I set the car up I can bracket race it locally when I want to.

The big thing I am struggling with is do I spend weeks if not months tracking down a few specific parts to be SS correct, and make the changes to the car, or simply put it back together with a delay box and a throttle stop and index race it?

I will still attend the same amount of divisional and national events if I was to run Super Stock, and would still be able to bracket race when I wanted to...

Only difference I guess would be the ability to race for class, and have to qualify at national events...

With where we live in Central Florida the divisional schedule is not horrible for us, and will be at most of them with my sons S/C Dragster anyway.

I guess the biggest thing is I have to change a bunch of stuff, and add back in several things that we did not need when racing heads up.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
Some interesting replies...

I figure no matter how I set the car up I can bracket race it locally when I want to.

The big thing I am struggling with is do I spend weeks if not months tracking down a few specific parts to be SS correct, and make the changes to the car, or simply put it back together with a delay box and a throttle stop and index race it?

I will still attend the same amount of divisional and national events if I was to run Super Stock, and would still be able to bracket race when I wanted to...

Only difference I guess would be the ability to race for class, and have to qualify at national events...

With where we live in Central Florida the divisional schedule is not horrible for us, and will be at most of them with my sons S/C Dragster anyway.

I guess the biggest thing is I have to change a bunch of stuff, and add back in several things that we did not need when racing heads up.
What specific class you want to race?
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote