HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 03-05-2021, 01:51 AM   #1
gnicholson

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Aero scoop seal or not to seal

I have a different engine combination and I ended up having to go with an aero scoop for my hood on my 70 Chevelle. Trying to decide whether to seal the carb or just leave it open. Wondering if drawing some underhood air might allow a little more consistency during extreme air temp changes. Probably overthinking it. Any opinions?
gnicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:23 PM   #2
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts
Default Re: Aero scoop seal or not to seal

I've experimented with and without air pans on many of my own and customers car over the years .
The bottom line is , "your results may vary" ...
If your hood scoop is at least 3 or more inches above the carb vents ,an air pan will nearly always net an improvement ,however some combos do not like total pressurization and need '"vent " holes in the pan . this is due to scoop design ,frontal area ,turbulence and carb calibration, and a million other things that cant be discovered without a wind tunnel !
Carbs that are very close to the scoop usually are somewhat indifferent to air pans ,or at least ones that are tightly sealed.........I've been told this is due to the incoming air having to make a sharper turn at the venturi and creating turbulence.
when I went to the triangle opening scoop on my Vette it completely changed my fuel curve and Air/Fuel ratio. . .....It was necessary to put two 3/4" holes in the pan to reduce the pressure inside the scoop.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:55 AM   #3
gnicholson

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Good info definitely going to try it both ways . Be interesting to take pressure readings with a water manometer
gnicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #4
Superstreet29

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I’ve always figured if you were pulling from under hood air it should be less sensitive to weather changes. My thought it you would be pulling from the same heated air source all the time 🤷🏼*♂️
Superstreet29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked