HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-18-2023, 10:35 AM   #1
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,499 Times in 634 Posts
Question NHRA Track Prep

With all the problems coming from track prep recently, I thought you guys should have a thread to express your concerns. Hopefully someone from NHRA will see it and respond.

Good track prep is what each and every racer pays for, needs, wants and should receive at each and every event. What is it going to take before the tracks are prepared consistently????? God forbid that a racer is killed because of poor track prep. You all know the things that can happen and NOW inconsistent track prep is at the top of the list.

I am not sure who must be contacted, but someone high up should know just what is going on and work to fix the problem before the unthinkable happens.

O.K. Guys here is your thread to vent about track prep.

Just so you know - - I don't think there is one easy answer to this situation.

Last edited by Carguy49; 03-18-2023 at 10:52 AM. Reason: more
Carguy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:11 AM   #2
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,932 Times in 901 Posts
Default Re: NHRA Track Prep

They already know…you have some very knowledgeable folks in the tower who can see what’s happening. That includes respected announcers who repeatedly make comments about cars spinning or see cars running in dangerous conditions (first round of Super Stock at Baby Gators comes to mind) and aren’t empowered (or fearful of retribution) such that they can get the race director’s attention. Fortunately, we’re all safer now with those pesky blinders sidelined. “Let them eat cake” is the prevailing attitude seen thus far this season.
Set another place at the table
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:28 AM   #3
jamie2370

Liked 239 Times in 90 Posts

Here is the real question. With Gainesville the track prep is in the hands of NHRA because it is an NHRA owned track. SGMP on the other hand is not. So who is actually responsible for track prep? Is it SGMP or NHRA in this instance? Now the other question pertaining to SGMP. New owners as of this week, what were they left with as far as supplies and employees? So who's fault is it?
jamie2370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-18-2023, 11:31 AM   #4
Mike Volkman

Liked 493 Times in 48 Posts

Feel free to correct me. Track prep is on the track owner/operator. NHRA doesn't usually bring in equipment, compound etc and it appears that the only way things happen is by the influence the DD's have with the operators and the operators attitude towards their facility/nhra/racers.

SGMP was a mess this weekend as the owner just sold out and the new guys are not in yet. Really nothing new. The timing system has been acting up for how many years now. Hopefully the new owners want us and have a better attitude. Orlando's conditions overall are not much better and if we didn't need to go their we probably wouldn't.

Bristol and Charlotte both feel points meets don't generate the $$ to cover the expense although Cody is trying to arrange a double or something to get us there.
Mike Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:46 AM   #5
jamie2370

Liked 239 Times in 90 Posts

Mike, SGMP's issues have been laid at the previous owners feet for some time now. Most of the bracket racers(myself included) have not been there in a while due to those issues. Hopefully the new owners will turn things around. However in this instance(new owners/ in limbo with management) I feel as though SGMP should get a pass this weekend before everyone condemns them on social media. The DD needs to reel in the problem, slow down and make a safe race. Quit trying to rush and get everyone home Sunday at lunch. Back in the day, sometimes we drove Sunday night home and got back in time to drop me off at school Monday morning lol.
jamie2370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:22 PM   #6
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 819 Times in 220 Posts

If a track needs equipment call Bandimere Drag strip in Denver at 303 697 6001 they produce all the latest and best equipment to prep a track FYI
Old 03-18-2023, 12:41 PM   #7
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,740 Times in 551 Posts

I just hope they are listening. I don’t care which track. This has been an issue last year on to this year hoping that track prep will continue to get better
having to lift during a race is just no fun and a waste of money, wrecking a car is even worse. Come on guys you can do better let’s prep the track and I mean the entire track
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 05:59 PM   #8
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,864 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Volkman View Post
Bristol and Charlotte both feel points meets don't generate the $$ to cover the expense.
Perhaps this is a problem that needs to be address at the top, beyond directors and tracks operators. What is NHRA charging these tracks to host these races? Is NHRA showing any flexibility given the current economic climate? Can tracks start trying to pack more spectators in and not put the burden of revenue solely on the racers' backs? How much is "glue" costing nowadays? I've heard lots of these timing systems run on Intel 386 processors from the 80s and utilize hardware from that time period. I understand it is a very tough time to own a track, does NHRA subsidize any member track improvements or help them in any way?
Old 03-18-2023, 06:37 PM   #9
J.R. Haddad

Liked 1,017 Times in 221 Posts

Good post Bobby. The arrangement for LODRS races needs some attention
from what I have seen/heard. In my area for the first time ever, Brainerd
has refused the points meet unless it was run in conjunction with the National event. Due to Topeka being the week before, this could not be arranged. Being from the north, this takes away my closest grade point opportunity( at 7 hours) to Earlville Iowa at 12-13 hours. Some track operators cannot make money at these races, some can. It is a double edged sword. The National event tracks won't market the points meets because they think nobody will attend. They can have a great show, booked in cars, fireworks, etc. and charge the customer a lot less than a National event. Car load sales, radio give aways, Ladies night, Mens night, Veterans
night, get creative. When Tony Stewart announced he was running for the
T/AD championship, how many track owners with the Alcohol Regional Races at their tracks phoned him and tried to get him to run their Regional race? Tony Stewart will be HERE driving a FUEL DRAGSTER!!
It is easy to say it can't be done, but it can. Combine the race with a no prep race. NHRA puts them on display at National Events. Make it special, put fans in the seats, sell hotdogs, beer, shirts, have a wet t-shirt contest, have your local parachute club land there in the afternoon. I went to an Association race last September in Sioux Falls South Dakota. Friday night they had a street grudge race set up, you couldn't move the place was so full. We have to quit thinking linear and open our minds to new and better ideas, and there is lots of them out there.

J.R.

Last edited by J.R. Haddad; 03-18-2023 at 07:12 PM.
J.R. Haddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:31 AM   #10
Frank Beasley

Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Volkman View Post
Feel free to correct me. Track prep is on the track owner/operator. NHRA doesn't usually bring in equipment, compound etc and it appears that the only way things happen is by the influence the DD's have with the operators and the operators attitude towards their facility/nhra/racers.

SGMP was a mess this weekend as the owner just sold out and the new guys are not in yet. Really nothing new. The timing system has been acting up for how many years now. Hopefully the new owners want us and have a better attitude. Orlando's conditions overall are not much better and if we didn't need to go their we probably wouldn't.

Bristol and Charlotte both feel points meets don't generate the $$ to cover the expense although Cody is trying to arrange a double or something to get us there.
Would be nice to have a double in Bristol or Charlotte.
Frank Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote