HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-29-2023, 04:17 AM   #1
Josh Jenkins

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Default New guy with a Firewall Question

Been on the forum for a long time. Have a firewall question with my 1971 Nova. I smoothed the firewall where the heater box was. Does this make the car illegal for Stock Eliminator? I had rather not have to put a new firewall back in if I don’t have to. I have looked at the rule book. Figured I may get a better answer here from someone who has been there, done that.

Thanks everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0983.jpeg
Views:	497
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	68209  
Josh Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 07:46 AM   #2
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts
Default Re: New guy with a Firewall Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@KYTP View Post
Been on the forum for a long time. Have a firewall question with my 1971 Nova. I smoothed the firewall where the heater box was. Does this make the car illegal for Stock Eliminator? I had rather not have to put a new firewall back in if I don’t have to. I have looked at the rule book. Figured I may get a better answer here from someone who has been there, done that.

Thanks everyone
Can't remember for sure but doesn't fenderwells bolt into firewall somewhere? AND I guess the answer would be "is it stock".
Liked
Old 08-29-2023, 08:15 AM   #3
dragracerray

Liked 126 Times in 59 Posts

Josh,
I have had several cars where I screwed a plate to the firewall to plug the heater core hole. Has never been a problem. You have gone a little farther. I would send this picture to your Division office for their opinion. If you don't get the answer you want go to the National office. Ray

Terry I see a drivers side fender to firewall bolt and a passenger side fender to firewall bolt. I also see a drivers side vertical bolt fender to cowl panel and a passenger side vertical bolt fender to cowl panel.
dragracerray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 08:21 AM   #4
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

I would suggest you get it cleared with the Tech Department.
The rule book reads as follows:

FIREWALL
Alterations prohibited unless expressly permitted in this section.
Firewall coverings prohibited. Where heater/air conditioning
units have been removed, area must be covered with minimum
.024-inch steel or .032-inch aluminum, including rear hood seal/
flange, as on GM A-body. Minor firewall modifications permitted
to C5 and C6 Corvettes for transmission installation. Roll cage
tubing may run across top or side of inner fender well/strut
tower and attach to frame horn. See General Regulations 7:4.

General Regulations:

7:4 FIREWALL
Each car in competition must be equipped with a minimum
.032-inch aluminum or .024-inch steel firewall, extending
from side to side of the body and from the top of the engine
compartment’s upper seal (hood, cowl, or deck) to the bottom
of the floor and/or belly pan. Firewall must provide a bulkhead
between the engine and/or fuel tank and driver compartment.
All holes in firewall must be sealed with aluminum or steel. In
certain instances, fiberglass, carbon fiber, or other composites
may be used. See Class Requirements or consult
NHRA. Use of magnesium prohibited.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 08:43 AM   #5
Josh Jenkins

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks guys. I was building this car for some small tire class stuff. Planned to Mini Tub it and all that. Can't bring myself to Cut this car up.

The whole small tire grudge game has gotten a little out of reach for my 496ci BBC I built.

Decided to look at Stock Eliminator. I have been interested in this class for a long time.

I am not above putting in a firewall half to be compliant with the rules. I will email the Divisional office and see what they have to say.
Liked
Old 08-29-2023, 09:12 AM   #6
Henrys Toy

Liked 484 Times in 165 Posts
Smile Re: New guy with a Firewall Question

Quote:

Thanks everyone
Good morning Josh and to all,
I've seen a couple of firewalls done in a similar fashion. I have a 1969 Nova Body and I riveted a .032 alum plate over my heater box hole. At least that's how I read the rule. Looking at your picture, I'm thinking about your steering box for power steering pump could be a problem, as well as your brake booster ( Stocker cams will have very little vacuum for that) !
The Tubular A arms (uppers) and the Fresh Air Hood have to be removed for a Stocker or Super Stocker, and anything else like that, that's not pictured.
The front inner fender wells bolt to the inner rail of the fender, under the hood and the outer front wheel well bolts with clip nuts. The forward portion of the inner fender well bolts to the Radiator support also with clip nuts. I'd hate like hell to build and finish a race car and show up at a Divisional and get turned away because some obvious infractions. I would either get a Rule Book or Read one on the NHRA Web site before continuing on with this project. No sense wasting time and money and thinking you're doing the right thing, only to find out you were misguided somewhere along the way. I'm not trying to discourage your build, but a little time spent reading the Rule Book before hand will lead to money spent in the right places.
Mini Tubes are also not legal at this time.
Good luck with your project.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA
Henrys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-29-2023, 10:03 AM   #7
Woodfin

Liked 70 Times in 38 Posts

Consider this suggestion. You could rivet or bolt a cover plate over your modified firewall that would be the same size as if it were covering the heater box. [covering the heater box opening is legal]
Woodfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:32 AM   #8
dragracerray

Liked 126 Times in 59 Posts

[QUOTE=
Decided to look at Stock Eliminator. I have been interested in this class for a long time.

Josh,
We welcome new people to the Stock/Superstock ranks! Welcome to you Josh! I hope you complete your project and we see you at the races! Ray
dragracerray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 03:26 PM   #9
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,566 Times in 1,730 Posts

Quote:

Thanks everyone
As stated, I think that you could pop rivet in an aluminum plate in the shape of the heater cover where it belongs. Hang a few wires off the upper firewall. Paint it in OEM semi-gloss and you should be fine. I tried leaving the wiper hole open and it didn't fly. Of course this was when they had real tech in the lanes. You could make a patch and just keep it with you. Leave it open , as a distraction. ;-)
A BBC will hide a bunch too, if that's what you're planning.
What combo are you thinking of?
Old 08-29-2023, 11:14 PM   #10
Josh Jenkins

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks guys. There are a lot of parts on the car that were geared more towards the small tire game. The steering box, brakes, tubular upper/lower control arms and front coil overs all would have to come out. Same with the leaf sliders in the back.

I am definitely gonna reach out to the Divisional office for clarification. No need to chance that. Like I said. I will patch in the firewall if needed.

As far as combo goes. I must like spending Money. I’d be looking at a 396 4 speed combo. I have a massive amount to learn and a long ways to go. It would be cheaper/easier to buy a car done is what I have been told a hundred times. I have never taken the cheap or easy route on much of anything. No point in starting now.