HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #91
Bryan Worner

Liked 410 Times in 66 Posts
Default Re: NHRA 2020 Rule Amendment SS Intakes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
It was never built for SS, I suppose you have first hand knowledge why it’s “junk”?
So was it built for Stock, where it was really illegal???
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #92
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

http://fepower.net/Products/feiamr.html
Liked
Old 12-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #93
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 148 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worner View Post
So was it built for Stock, where it was really illegal???
no Bryan,...nobody in stock runs that... You can run it in SS.
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #94
fredjohnston

Liked 55 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron morehead View Post
I'm gonna jump in on this one since there are UNINFORMED creatures out there. Our Heads that are in question are roughly 2-2 1/2 years old its the Gen 3 stuff. If these modifications are illegal why did it take this long for them to say this when they NHRA saw this configuration Long before Indy this year. If You so called racers think that we are .15 ahead of everyone except Zavala is all in the head design you need to quit right now because you have no work Ethic. The individuals that are the SO Called engine builders that are complaining are more interested in racing instead of being in the shop, on the Dyno or at the test sessions working with there customers instead they are promising there customers that this will work or that will work and all the customers are doing is lining their engine builders pockets. NHRA should have warned or stopped this design 2 years ago the first time they saw this JUST like the did to the HEMI design. Stop whining and get to work.

It helps to go fast when you race a combination with a relative soft HP factor...just saying.
fredjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:34 PM   #95
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredjohnston View Post
It helps to go fast when you race a combination with a relative soft HP factor...just saying.
Jump on in! The water’s fine.
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-17-2019, 08:31 AM   #96
cbohannon

Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

This, in my opinion, is just another "stretch" of a rule. The question of right or wrong and our opinions of it probably matter very little at this point. The problem here is somewhat the same as it has always been...NHRA. If these heads went through tech and were approved 2 years ago then they are problably always going to be legal from here on out, just like pretty much every other rule that has been "stretched" over the years. Honda rod journals, modified combustion chambers, aftermarket cranks, gas ported pistons, blah, blah, blah...

A couple thoughts...

1. I commend Eric Jones for asking for permission before he started doing this modification. Wether it be for a mopar, ford, chevy...whatever. Its not the way things have been done in the past for the most part and I for 1 look at it as the respectable thing to do.

2. I have spoke with John Gulius on a few occations...dude is the Don Garlits of super stock motors for sure. He is an innovator no arguments on that. But I feel this is just the straw that broke the camels back or the excuse he needed to say I'm done. There is no way this is the only reason he quit...To my knowlege he's in his 70's, I'm sure he has his reasons.

For the record...

We have 2-L98 motors...one has some modifications done that become illegal based on this new ruling if it stands, the other is legal either way.

THE MOTOR THAT IS LEGAL IS FASTER!!!!!

That is all...I'll head back to the couch and wait for next season to get here!
cbohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #97
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbohannon View Post
This, in my opinion, is just another "stretch" of a rule. The question of right or wrong and our opinions of it probably matter very little at this point. The problem here is somewhat the same as it has always been...NHRA. If these heads went through tech and were approved 2 years ago then they are problably always going to be legal from here on out, just like pretty much every other rule that has been "stretched" over the years. Honda rod journals, modified combustion chambers, aftermarket cranks, gas ported pistons, blah, blah, blah...

A couple thoughts...

1. I commend Eric Jones for asking for permission before he started doing this modification. Wether it be for a mopar, ford, chevy...whatever. Its not the way things have been done in the past for the most part and I for 1 look at it as the respectable thing to do.

2. I have spoke with John Gulius on a few occations...dude is the Don Garlits of super stock motors for sure. He is an innovator no arguments on that. But I feel this is just the straw that broke the camels back or the excuse he needed to say I'm done. There is no way this is the only reason he quit...To my knowlege he's in his 70's, I'm sure he has his reasons.

For the record...

We have 2-L98 motors...one has some modifications done that become illegal based on this new ruling if it stands, the other is legal either way.

THE MOTOR THAT IS LEGAL IS FASTER!!!!!

That is all...I'll head back to the couch and wait for next season to get here!
John closed the shop because of the lingering implementation of the rules. His shop was empty from Indy till he closed.His customers was told not to build his stuff, because it "might" be illegal. Our engine had 200 runs on it but I kept dragging my feet awaiting the new rule package. Good thing I did. Bottom line, John built a engine that fit the current rules,had four or five different customers go through teardown and pass,only to have NHRA change the rules deeming those members illegal..
Don't bring his health into it, or his age. He's in better health than you and me put together. His hobby is hunting in mountains in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Russia, Iran, at peaks of 15 thousand feet that will make a common man wilt. A friend of ours was sharing a room with John while at the races. He had the crap scared out of him about four in the morning, only to turn on the light to see Gulius doing push ups in between the beds ! One thing for sure,his age or health didn't bankrupt him.....

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 12-17-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #98
cbohannon

Jeff, I appoligize if you took my post wrong...

I didnt even imply Johns health was bad, I only feel this can't be the only reason he decided to quit, especially considering the rule is probably never going to be implemented.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #99
Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE=cbohannon;603992]This, in my opinion, is just another "stretch" of a rule. The question of right or wrong and our opinions of it probably matter very little at this point. The problem here is somewhat the same as it has always been...NHRA. If these heads went through tech and were approved 2 years ago then they are problably always going to be legal from here on out, just like pretty much every other rule that has been "stretched" over the years. Honda rod journals, modified combustion chambers, aftermarket cranks, gas ported pistons, blah, blah, blah...[QUOTE]

Does anyone really think that the tech department just lets stuff slide right thru teardown or approves modifications that are clearly against what Stock and S/S stands for?

Like all businesses the tech department is probably governed by powers higher than themselves. Those higher powers more than likely have the final say on rule changes and what is deemed illegal or legal, even though the higher powers may know very little about the mechanical workings of racing engines, especially Stock and S/S.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:07 PM   #100
cbohannon

I'm not knocking the tech guys at all, especially the guys that are there every weekend trying to make things fair and safe for all of us. But there is documentation from the nhra tech dept that approves these type modifications.