HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #101
B Aceves

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Important if you run D-H/S or SA

Once again you Mopar guys have with a stroke of a pen managed to have stock take another step back.
I'm not sure how you managed to convince that there is no advantage to this intake but I will do my best now to convince them they are wrong .
Enough is Enough with this BS.
B Aceves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #102
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Storms View Post
I guess while the topic is up , as a 340 owner myself and knowing the 2 aluminum intakes that have factory part numbers, not really knowing the other brands, did any of them receive alternative intakes back in the day?? Just curious!! Or was Edelbrock only sleeping with Chrysler engineers???....,,
AMC had an Edelbrock R4B manifold with an AMC part number and in the AMC parts book. But when it was proposed as a legal part a few years ago, it was squashed like a cockroach. I guess the smell of this MoPar cockroach has been ignored.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #103
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 767 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Storms View Post
I guess while the topic is up , as a 340 owner myself and knowing the 2 aluminum intakes that have factory part numbers, not really knowing the other brands, did any of them receive alternative intakes back in the day?? Just curious!! Or was Edelbrock only sleeping with Chrysler engineers???....,,
Jim, Edelbrock also did the 440-6 intakes for the '69's , casting #3412046. These intakes also have the 'Edelbrock' logo cast on one of the runners. In 1970, the 440-6's went to cast iron intakes.

As far as the LD4B & LD340 intakes....I've seen a NOS one in the original Edelbrock box that had the Chrysler number on it. -Al
Old 02-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #104
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

One rule of thumb is any Edlebrock manifold that Chrysler used ( 69 440 6, late 70, etc)had Edlebrock and the casting number embossed on them in that time period. And they made stuff for all the manufacturers. I think the 396 Chevy had that manifold with the middle machined out that became legal and I think the 70 350 Chevy had a couple of alternate manifolds. Any know how that came about. That part number is definitely that time period. Being as NHRA has the Technical Service Bulletin number from 73 or 74 that allowed that piece, I am trying to find someone who has all those old TSB's. I think they (the intake) have been out there for some time. Anybody got one and where and when did you get it. Anybody got a factory cut manifold for the 396. There are a couple in my shop that belong to Helms. When did that happen. I know there is an NHRA letter saying it's ok. Anybody got that while we are talking. Just as soon get all the old stuff out of the system. Then we can start with the 80's and 90's crap and then we can move in the 2008 and later stuff. Somebody order pizza and we can watch the Super Bowl while we do this.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #105
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 767 Times in 228 Posts

Double post...oops.

Last edited by Alan Nyhus; 02-05-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Alan Nyhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #106
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

Seems to me if Chrysler or any other manufacture had an outside source supply them with a product and an OEM part number was cast into it, and you could buy it over the counter, it should be allowed. Just saying.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #107
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

My big problem with the NHRA in this incarnation is.......

They just can't leave it alone........

I don't know why that is???????????????
Old 02-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #108
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
If there is any logic in this,
Yea, Why not allow the Z-28 cross ram and the 1967 L-88 427??
Has Jeff Lee been doing Copy and paste on this like was done on the AMC's? Maybe someone will get around to the paperwork for the cross ram and the '67 L-88, someday.
I just don't see a legal manifold that the carb will not fit. OH, fit without machine work.
Adger,

Jeff Lee never copied and pasted the AMC Group 19 section of the parts catalog.

It was the Chrysler racing representative at the time who submitted the catalog section to both NHRA and IHRA on behalf of AMC racers.
After seeing what was taking place with the allowance of parts on other makes of cars based on the premise of catalog parts, Service Bulletins and TSB's that contained dealer installed only parts, that they made the request.

AMC even issued a letter explaining to the industry why they would not install these parts on delivered cars because of budget.

I know Billy has a following on this forum and I respect his position on the issue. Nevertheless, I also believe it was a personal rift with Jeff that made Billy go after the AMC products. Why not go after the other makes of cars with the same perseverance as he did with the the AMC brand? How many AMC race cars are out there when compared to the other makes and brands? The other makes are as guilty or worse than what NHRA has allowed on other brands.

Also, I am posting the copies of the AMC letter and the sections of the Group 19 parts catalog so you can see there were not many parts when compared to the other auto makers catalogs.

In the early days, Chevrolet, Ford and Chrysler had these sections in their parts catalogs. I still chuckle and remember helping a friend with a Ford 2300 engine in a Pinto station wagon that had wiped the camshaft lobes. When we went to the dealership to get a new camshaft, the parts catalog showed a 0.600" lift camshaft for the 2300 engine with an OEM part number. He asked me if it would help his Pinto Station Wagon go faster...I just rolled my eyes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	group19_1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	38215   Click image for larger version

Name:	group19_2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	38216   Click image for larger version

Name:	group19_3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	38217  

Name:	group19_4.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	38218   Click image for larger version

Name:	group19_5.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	38219   Click image for larger version

Name:	group19_6.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	38220  

Name:	group19_7.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	38221   Click image for larger version

Name:	group19_8.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	38222   Click image for larger version

Name:	group19_9.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	38223  

SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #109
Coleydog

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Nyhus View Post
Jim, Edelbrock also did the 440-6 intakes for the '69's , casting #3412046. These intakes also have the 'Edelbrock' logo cast on one of the runners. In 1970, the 440-6's went to cast iron intakes.

As far as the LD4B & LD340 intakes....I've seen a NOS one in the original Edelbrock box that had the Chrysler number on it. -Al
I have one for the 383-4 & 440-4 & 440-6 with Chrysler part numbers, Edelbrock parts, had them a long time.
Coleydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #110
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
AMC had an Edelbrock R4B manifold with an AMC part number and in the AMC parts book. But when it was proposed as a legal part a few years ago, it was squashed like a cockroach. I guess the smell of this MoPar cockroach has been ignored.

and I got blamed for it...

and the QFT carb.