HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Stock/Super Stock Associations > Southern Stock and Super Stock Association

Old 05-31-2022, 09:08 PM   #21
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Wink Re: So, How Did The Gainesville Race Go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyAnderson View Post
Jim I'm sure you are aware of the quota system in place at National events. All of the races you speak of had 50, 55, or as in Gville 60 car caps. You also know that as in Gville when the forecast isn't good some/many pull out last minute. There are also travel issues and breakage issues so to see that almost every event went off close to max sits well with me. If you pay attention you will see that most races fill up at 6-8 grade points so I see that as "high demand".

The participation at LODRS races has been pretty strong also ESPECIALLY considering fuel prices. While I don't necessarily disagree with you in essence, class racing has a more "mature" base of racers, there are quite a few young guns showing up. Austin Alvey, Tyler Bohannon, Houston Raikes, Conner Statler, Autumn Greene, Jason McCandless, Dan Young, Curt Smith Jr., Danny Waters Jr.,Trey Payne, the Wilson sisters, my kids. Not to mention established racers adding new entries like Johnathan and Melissa Anderson, and Keith and Terri Bennett. I think we're going to be all right for the time being.

The IHRA deal I agree with. I LOVED the IHRA format but to be honest, two points exist. Most N racers looked down at the I program..... Snobbish at best especially considering the I actually paid better in many cases! And second..... this still blows my mind. Most N guys won't race 1/8 mile. I still amazes me how many load up and roll out after a LODRS and choose not to race the National Open cause they don't like 1/8th. The hard part is over! Your here! Roll your junk out and race! IMHO after doing it for years, 1/8 definitely sharpens up your skillset!
Of course I'm familiar with the quota system, however I didn't just make up my figures! Facts are facts. It's nice that there are a few younger people racing now however they are a drop in the bucket compared to what it used to be years ago. My whole point is unless there is major changes (you are correct in your statement about N racers and 1/8 mile racing) we are doomed to repeat what happened to the IHRA class racers. Class racers better support their local S/SS Associations or there will be no place to go (brackets) when NHRA decides they are losing money on us. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:53 AM   #22
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts
Default Re: So, How Did The Gainesville Race Go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
Of course I'm familiar with the quota system, however I didn't just make up my figures! Facts are facts. It's nice that there are a few younger people racing now however they are a drop in the bucket compared to what it used to be years ago. My whole point is unless there is major changes (you are correct in your statement about N racers and 1/8 mile racing) we are doomed to repeat what happened to the IHRA class racers. Class racers better support their local S/SS Associations or there will be no place to go (brackets) when NHRA decides they are losing money on us. Jim

NHRA is not loosing any money on the sportsman classes except for possibly TS TD and comp eliminator.Those classes are not always full. The other sportsman classes are full at the national events unless there is a weather issue like Gainesville had. Gainesville was full until the weather went downhill fast. In stock and super stock there was 60 cars + entered. If you just figure one crew person with each entry NHRA took in $54,000 in revenue. The super gas and Super comp classes had about the same car count so they brought in a similar amount of cash. The payout is probably less than $8000 per class. They are not loosing money on these 4 classes for sure. If NHRA was smart they would raise the quota and bring in more of our hard earned cash. The next few years will tell the tale. Fuel prices and less disposable income might have some effect on the car counts. Time will tell on that. NHRA is pretty much the last place for us to race our types of classes.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:39 PM   #23
KennyAnderson

Liked 243 Times in 86 Posts
Default Re: So, How Did The Gainesville Race Go?

Correct Mike... NHRA doesn't keep the sportsman classes around cause we are pretty faces!! LOL!! We are THE cash cow that keeps the show on the road.

Facts ARE facts.... Unless something drastic happened, like Gainesville's forecast.... EVERY race this year filled quickly and went off at or near max capacity.
KennyAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked