HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 07-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #91
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: Modified Eliminator Wars in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Missle View Post
I bought it a couple of weeks ago if we are talking about the same car. Butch Leal's 1975 B/MP Direct Connection Hemi Duster. Pictured as bought below.

Looking at the plexi windows and window trim and other "subtle" details make me wonder if this car is actually a "knock off" ..........and not the original.
The car in the vintage pics has factory door windows? and drip mldg ......decals have been replaced etc etc. Is that the original scoop , looks very similar but...nose seems high.....?
The Gummout" decal on the current car is smaller............

Last edited by joespanova; 07-16-2016 at 01:35 PM.
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:34 PM   #92
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rice View Post
There were quite a few 5 speeds from the mid 70s on.
Bob Rice
Of course, you are correct Bob. We absolutely had 5 speeds in the '70s.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #93
Steve Stasko

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
Looking at the plexi windows and window trim and other "subtle" details make me wonder if this car is actually a "knock off" ..........and not the original.
The car in the vintage pics has factory door windows? and drip mldg ......decals have been replaced etc etc. Is that the original scoop , looks very similar but...nose seems high.....?
The Gummout" decal on the current car is smaller............
It's the right car. It was run in Super Street for many years.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:52 AM   #94
Ghost Missle

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

This is the original car as verified by Butch Leal and by Gary Hansen who built the car at Ron Butler's. The car was being raced in Super Pro with a 440 that had fenderwell headers and a powerglide. The interior was full of starting line electronics and a single light weight seat. The access hole to the transmission area had been significantly enlarged and the original Butler roll cage, while still intact, had been added to with a front hoop, an under dash bar and lower side bars. Over the last 40 years the hood, deck lid and doors had been replaced with race-weight fiberglass components and a Lexan windshield was fitted. The car had been completely repainted at least once and the original wheels had been polished. A fuel cell had been installed and although the original Butler ladder bar rear suspension was intact, the leaf springs had been replaced with coil-overs while all of the original leaf spring mountings are still in place. Dual battery boxes on either side had replaced the original truck battery in the right rear. The entire front inner fenderwell and core support structure had been removed and replaced with lightweight panels. Naturally the image of the car “as-purchased” looks different than the 40 year old “as raced” pictures. Even the rear slicks which are 3” wider and 1” shorter than the originals and required spacers to be run behind the rear wheels for frame clearance give the car a decidedly incorrect look.

We are replacing the front half of the floor with a new AMD piece. The front panel structure, firewall, doors, hood, fenders and deck lid have been harvested from a completely rust free 1975 Duster bought in Texas. All non original roll bar pieces have been removed. The spare tire well is being replaced so a new stock fuel tank can be fitted. We have already removed the rear coil-over shocks and test fitted leaf springs; even the pads on the rear end were still there. The proper seats were purchased last week in Carlisle and will receive new Legendary covers along with new door panels. I have some old Super Tricks that we are going to use to experiment with for techniques to restore the original wheel finish. We have a Hemi, The correct Weiand I.R. intake, some 16-plug parts, headers, bellhousing and the car came with a fresh unused slick-shifted A833 4-speed. We still need to buy the proper sized (true 14 x 32) rear tires and the wheelie bars.

All of the contingency stickers still available were sent from the various manufacturers and the three or four that were no longer available will be recreated by our excellent graphics technician as will paint masks to make it possible to accurately replicate all of the original graphics and logos. Note that the paint scheme was even changed in the year and a half that Butch raced the car with the top half of the “California Flash” lettering on the doors being all white on the early version (as ours will be) while the later rendition had the top half of the letters painted red. Included with the car were the transferable rights to use Butch’s California Flash paint scheme and name. Every effort will be made to return this car to it’s original 1975 Image and specification. Original unpublished photographs taken during the creation of the Car Craft article were sourced from Peterson Archives. A lot of people can attest to our capabilities with this platform and on this board perhaps Daryl Klassen would be the best source to impart what to expect.

Now there will be a brief intermission in the build as the walls of our new 36 x 48 shop reach for the sky, the front half framed in the last two days. The car? We can’t wait to get back at it!

Last edited by Ghost Missle; 09-10-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Ghost Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-22-2016, 09:21 AM   #95
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

As you may have got from Johns post already, John and brother Denny are absolutely perfectionist in everything they do. If theres anyone that bring this car back to its roots correctly its these guys. They have a few very cool "insider" connections including Joe Pappas as an example just to keep an eye on things

Liteweight
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #96
joespanova

Sounds like it'll be "perfect" when you guys finish. Thanks for the clarification and info. Looks like that'll be a really nice shop when finished..............wish mine was that big.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #97
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Missle View Post
This is the original car as verified by Butch Leal and by Chuck Hansen who built the car at Ron Butler's.
Thanks for the history and details.

Pete
Old 07-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #98
mopar68
VIP Member

Old 07-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #99
mopar68
VIP Member

Old 07-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #100
joespanova

WOW
Talk about a "blast from the past" Ed Sielski..........had a speed shop in Downingtown ( ? ) Coatesville area in the seventies. Right off of 30 , across from a 7-11 I worked at right out of high school.
I remember him ( or who ever ) taking , what I believe is this car , for a ride right down 30..............I watched as he drove out of the parking lot and to my surprise right down the highway for a little ride........don't know if the cops saw him.
I know it was a Vega , and this had to be that car.
I stand corrected...Thorndale...it was in between Coatesville and Downingtown.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dai...?pid=156927951

Last edited by joespanova; 07-25-2016 at 07:10 AM.