HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 03-22-2023, 09:48 AM   #791
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts
Default Re: Dumbo The Flying Elephant

Dave how long did it take to find the broke wire in the harness. I carry a coil pack or two, two old Hemi spark plugs boots to check timing, plugs, trans and converter. Spare tires and wheels.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:08 AM   #792
Dyno

Liked 525 Times in 173 Posts

I bought a complete extra wiring harness for my Holley system. That way you do not have to disassemble half the car to dyno an engine and you also have a spare to carry in the trailer.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:51 AM   #793
Dave Reuland

Liked 35 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
Dave how long did it take to find the broke wire in the harness. I carry a coil pack or two, two old Hemi spark plugs boots to check timing, plugs, trans and converter. Spare tires and wheels.
Six days of testing at the track. We could not duplicate the problem unless we were launching at a prepped track. As the coil drivers got worse, the engine would not start after the drivers warmed up, so we had to find and fix that issue before we could trace down the harness issue. When multiple electronic issues appear at the same time, diagnosis gets complicated. We now carry a known good spare for every sensor and an extra set of coil drivers. We are getting the original harness repaired and will carry that as well.
Dave Reuland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 09:41 AM   #794
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

I checked out two coil pack harness's and an injector harness for continuity. All of them checked good and were from the FAST system. To get the harness to fit the Holley system I just have to re-pin to the Holley stile plugs for the main harness.

I need help in what company makes good tools to re-pin and or repair wiring harness's. Also a good source of the plugs for the harness.

We should smell smoke today.
Liked
Old 03-25-2023, 06:20 PM   #795
Mike Gray

Liked 480 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
I checked out two coil pack harness's and an injector harness for continuity. All of them checked good and were from the FAST system. To get the harness to fit the Holley system I just have to re-pin to the Holley stile plugs for the main harness.

I need help in what company makes good tools to re-pin and or repair wiring harness's. Also a good source of the plugs for the harness.

We should smell smoke today.
I’m thinking Todd G. In the 8.50 build down a couple of post is using what you would need ( Deutsch connectors) see pg 17 & 18 of his build.

Last edited by Mike Gray; 03-26-2023 at 11:25 AM.
Mike Gray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:20 AM   #796
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Thanks Mike I will check it out.
Did not get to smell smoke yesterday. Since we will be going to a chasse dyno I had to hookup my trans temp sender, I don't want to fry the trans. Did another Stupid Old Man Trick. I had the shifter in park and the trans in reverse. I found that out when I went to tighten the rear wheels they kept on spinning. The recipe for disaster involves the neutral safety switch located on the shifter. The switch closed allowed the starter to engage with the trans in reverse. It could have been a new garage door and a return trip to the body shop. To adjust the shifter I had to remove the collector, tether, and part of the trans shield. Got it adjusted and put back together.

Trans temp sending unit goes in the pipe bung in the pan. I was able to install without too much of a mess. Then it was a one year old birthday party and NCAA Basketball men's quarter finals.

Another Good Day!
Old 03-28-2023, 10:39 AM   #797
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Well I did not smell smoke or even got close. Three of the smaller wires that go straight to the positive post had fallen behind the battery and were not connected. I spent most of Sunday afternoon trying to figure out what was wrong. Monday morning I spent rereading the FAST info and checking the simple stuff. Monday afternoon we spent celebrating our 53rd anniversary, my mother-in-law gave us less than a year. Today we start on # 54. Our honey moon car was $400 57 Chevy TwoTen 2 dr post 265 2 barrel three speed manual radio delete purchased from a retired spinster school teacher.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:03 AM   #798
Greg West

Liked 46 Times in 19 Posts

Happy Anniversary!
Greg West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:54 PM   #799
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

After I got all the wires in the correct place the car started like it had been turned off 5 minutes ago. I had some new sensors to try some worked and some did not work. On the cam sensor the ones with a different polarity N/S did not work and the car would not start. Crank sensor only one OEM part number would work.
We did get to smell smoke on our anniversary we were both happy!
Old 03-29-2023, 09:02 PM   #800
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Spent this afternoon figuring out what sensor work and what sensors a dealership hooked me on. Some of the Hemi stuff is getting a little hard to find from non support.