Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #21
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: This would be too cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
I have not been to a national event in awhile. Do the fans stay in their seats for Pro Mod?
Not many. When they run the factory shootout deal, the biggest crowd is on the starting line. Not in the stands. still nobody in the stands.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #22
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

Last year I was at the fence at Baytown national. As soon as the fuelers are done and they say pro stock is under the tower to come out everyone leaves the stands. I don't like it but that's the facts people.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #23
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Whats funny is that after the guys with the money get done with this "New" Pro Stock, it will be out of reach for many once again because at the end of the day, there are only a few than can afford the R&D and test sessions that will occur once current Pro Stock teams get hands on these cars. They would have a more OEM/stock platform but it would be out of reach very quickly for most once J&J, Elite, Gray, and Line/Anderson get the combos optimized. This is assuming that factory shootouts replace current day pro stock. I personally don't see it happening because NHRA is not going to walk away from guys who are investing millions unless they have a suitable replacement with as much money to turn to instead.
cutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #24
jimi

Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutta View Post
Whats funny is that after the guys with the money get done with this "New" Pro Stock, it will be out of reach for many once again because at the end of the day, there are only a few than can afford the R&D and test sessions that will occur once current Pro Stock teams get hands on these cars. They would have a more OEM/stock platform but it would be out of reach very quickly for most once J&J, Elite, Gray, and Line/Anderson get the combos optimized. This is assuming that factory shootouts replace current day pro stock. I personally don't see it happening because NHRA is not going to walk away from guys who are investing millions unless they have a suitable replacement with as much money to turn to instead.
I think a bigger problem with pro stock is they invest millions to be the quickest and the champion but nhra is probably only getting a tiny percentage for sponsorship to maintain the class. in a business situation this class is a loser . don't get me wrong as boring as it has become I still like to watch pro stock race but to the average person watching at home or at the track its boring .
I could see in the future if things do not turn around financially with the class and participation pro stock going away. nhra did it with modified eliminator , fuel altered, pro comp, pro stock truck!!!!! what the heck those cars will all fit somewhere in comp eliminator top sportsman or outlaw races , sound familiar?????
as for a true (untouched car bodies) pro stock type class stemming from factory drag pack cars, I would love to see it but I am sure millions would have to flow nhra's way from the big three before the class is conceived .
jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #25
Jason

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi View Post
As for a true (untouched car bodies) pro stock type class stemming from factory drag pack cars......
Most of us remember when Pro Stock class used untouched car bodies. Then backhalving was allowed. Next came strut front ends. It wasn't long until full tube chassis cars were the way to go. The last straw was carbon fiber jelly bean bodies that do not look like anything that has to do with the word STOCK!

So who is to blame for all this morphing from original stock bodies to what we see today? It looks like the sanctioning bodies did not (or would not) say NO when certain competitors asked for more modifications.

Will this happen again if a heads up Factory Stock category replaces the current Pro Stock? The phrase "history repeats itself" will probably apply because someone with deep pockets will want to gain an advantage over their competitor.

Last edited by Jason; 12-19-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #26
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Jason, the whole of Stock and Super Stock suffer from the 'allowables'. There are a million reasons why it happened over the last 60 years or so. Well maybe a few hundred anyway. Many things we take for granted today, were not allowed at some distant time. That would make for an interesting thing to create a post about what has changed in Stock and Super Stock since say 1955. Some of us were around. It might surprise everyone to see it in print, especially in this slow time of year.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #27
D.Johns

Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts

I like the jelly bean cars.

How can any car guy not tell a difference between them all? Even without the stickers they are still distinguishable.

I don't think the Factory Stock cars will or should replace Pro-stock. I do think it would be cool to have their own heads up class at every event. No AHFS and keep them separate from the stock eliminator class so it doesn't affect that.

I don't think Pro-stock is going anywhere anytime soon. Every class eventually runs it's course. Through creative destruction will form another class. It's just how the world is. All things come to an end eventually.

All Heads-up classes become expensive and the people that have the funds to compete at the top will continue to shrink as the class gets faster.
2014 Cobra Jet FS/XX #3345 STK/SS

Like us on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Daniel...25886327426822
D.Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #28
Fireofficer5

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts

My 2 cents.
T/F and F/C have noise and speed.
P/S is tolerated by spectators.

P/M- I was in the Toyota box at the Vegas race.
P/M's noise and speed, but what got a rise out of the crowd in the box was the red ( I think it was a camero) car launched, wheels up to around 330'.
Fireofficer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:55 PM   #29
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Johns View Post
I like the jelly bean cars.

How can any car guy not tell a difference between them all? Even without the stickers they are still distinguishable.

I don't think the Factory Stock cars will or should replace Pro-stock. I do think it would be cool to have their own heads up class at every event. No AHFS and keep them separate from the stock eliminator class so it doesn't affect that.

I don't think Pro-stock is going anywhere anytime soon. Every class eventually runs it's course. Through creative destruction will form another class. It's just how the world is. All things come to an end eventually.

All Heads-up classes become expensive and the people that have the funds to compete at the top will continue to shrink as the class gets faster.
If PRO STK is in trouble they need to look at themselves, the price is going up faster then the nat debt. they cant boo,who they did it to themselves.
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #30
Terry Knott

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuces wild View Post
Last year I was at the fence at Baytown national. As soon as the fuelers are done and they say pro stock is under the tower to come out everyone leaves the stands. I don't like it but that's the facts people.
Evidently you did not race at or attend the Top Stock or IHRA Nitro Jams of a few yrs. ago. At Pittsburgh, Budds Creek, Martin, people were packed in for the whole show!! When Top Stock was called to the lanes people were RUSHING to the fence to watch... I was there, I saw it personally. NOW... I think a great announcer and great marketing helped, but that is half the battle. AGAIN...people recognized the cars of Top Stock,(read-non jelly bean) and, understood first to the finish wins, no breakouts. It has happened before and if NHRA doesn't get their head out of theit A** it can happen again... Or maybe Michael Beard, Mike Carr, Jeff Ross, or any of the S/SS promoters can/will capitalize on this in the coming yrs. while NHRA promotes TF/FC at 1000 FT'(gross) and wonders why their revenue is down
Terry Knott is offline   Reply With Quote