HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #461
goinbroke2

Liked 175 Times in 61 Posts
Default Re: Factory experimental

C'mon Ed, mustangs or not, those are beautiful cars. And a factory coming into it so hard like this?

When they showed the drag pack challengers on here a year or so I was drooling, not because I'm a mopar guy but because the thought of factories getting into it again would be awesome. (plus they are beautiful cars too.

C'mon! BUILD THE CAMARO STOCKER CHEVY!!
Old 01-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #462
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Talking Re: Factory experimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbroke2 View Post
C'mon Ed, mustangs or not, those are beautiful cars. And a factory coming into it so hard like this?

When they showed the drag pack challengers on here a year or so I was drooling, not because I'm a mopar guy but because the thought of factories getting into it again would be awesome. (plus they are beautiful cars too.

C'mon! BUILD THE CAMARO STOCKER CHEVY!!
The Challengers dont seem to have Pinocchio writing spec sheets to NHRA,the Mustangs are beautiful,expensive
SS cars.

Ed F.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA

Last edited by Ed Fernandez; 01-25-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:28 PM   #463
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,477 Times in 1,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
Mark,
Sounds like I was given some bad information because I certainly wasn't in Arizona. I will accept reponsibility for what I post here. And stand corrected if wrong, but I just spoke to one of the folks who was supposedly in the loop and he said not a drop of rain hit the ground on Friday. He will try to contact the person who gave him the information and re-confirm the Hajek car's test results from Friday. I will post when I hear his response.

Sent over by a friend: http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...az0261?when=-2
It was described to me as a Chamber of Commerce Day. Please notice the zero rain total for the day.
Bruce, It DID rain in Glendale in the morning. I wasn't at Speedworld, which is about 30 miles away. It stayed overcast,with humidity at 3 X the norm. Same thing Sat til about noon. The point about the weather is that it was slow on Saturday and probably even slower Friday. I don't know for a fact that those cars didn't go down the track on Friday. I don't know who would have been driving them either.
If those cars were de-tuned after Friday, they were still spinning the tires on Saturday.
Seems hard to believe they could have been 2-3 tenths faster.
I'll find out if they went down the track on Friday, and will report.
I'm just reporting what I know.
This is the "no spin zone"
Old 01-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #464
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Mark,
I don't think either one of us is trying to spin anything. Obviously, I was many miles away and unable to confirm in person. So I have relied on very reliable folks to give me information as it becomes available. I was told that this was a closed session (nobody but track employees and the folks who were testing were allowed to be on the grounds) on Friday and that the track was well prepped for the folks who were testing. I would imagine the track was not as good on Saturday which I'm now told was a regular test'n tune session. I don't know which car was being tested or who was driving. I was told that the crew was jubilant when the time slip was made available to them. I'll work on it some more as well.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #465
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

The thing that really bothers me about this is that it's obvious that Ford did this with hp numbers they knew were bogus and that's like stealing. The other thing is that NHRA let them get away with it without protecting their own members from unfair competition. I was about ready to buy a new Ford Edge, I think now I will look at GM's.

Greg
Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 AM   #466
Chuck Beach

Liked 59 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Beach
Question Re: Factory experimental

Greg,
So who was stealing when they set the LT1 (305 factory) to 275hp and the LS1 (310 non ram or 325 ram air factory) to 305? NHRA or GM?

Last edited by Chuck Beach; 01-26-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #467
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Chuck, If you remember Pontiac was the official car of NHRA when the LT1's first came out. I had to run against them in my 67 Camaro with a 350 power glide. You talk about making a car irrelevant. The failure of NHRA to properly factor these cars led to creation of the fuel injected classes. After 14 years and 66 horsepower the LT1's are no better than a lot of combos but look how long it took that to happen. At least the Firebirds and Camaros were regular production cars and not aftermarket built racecars with motors that don't come in anything else. Do you think we should go through another scenario like the LT1's or the Ls1's? I don't.

Greg
Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #468
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,063 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Beach View Post
Greg,
So who was stealing when they set the LT1 (305 factory) to 275hp and the LS1 (310 non ram or 325 ram air factory) to 305? NHRA or GM?
Chuck,
Do you think it is okay to do it again, now, because it happened in the past? Two wrongs make a right?

How about we try to stop, or at least slow, the down hill slide?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #469
Evan Smith

Liked 94 Times in 4 Posts

I agree with Chuck.

Greg, please let me understand you better. Are you are saying it's not OK for Ford to under-rate a vehicle (which has been done since the inception of our beloved class), but it is OK for GM to claim a car that was never built (1998 LT-1 F-body)? Or clearly under-rate the LS1? Is this not cheating the system (for the purpose of manufacturers championships points)?

BTW, the Ford Edge is great vehicle and at last check Ford is offering X-plan-type incentives for any NHRA racers who want to purchase a Ford. You can contact Jesse Kershaw at Ford Racing for more details. What is GM or Mopar doing for racers?

Remember, it is still the NHRA's party and it can re-factor a combination as it sees fit. So, if this car is really that fast NHRA can act accordingly. We can type all we want but it is moot until the cars run in Pomona.

Evan
Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #470
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Evan I' m saying exactly that. When they put this new Mustang out with bogus numbers it's like stealing from other racers who have to race against it. One thing you are right about is that NHRA can do what they want without any transparency or without regard to how it hurts their own members. How it affects their organization as time goes by remains to be seen.

Greg

Last edited by Greg Hill; 01-26-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Closed Thread