HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-15-2017, 01:13 AM   #11
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts
Default Re: Location for relays for fan fuel pump etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Yes, all nice and neat looking, but DC power diminishes with wire length.
Also, as stated , the w/p and fan both use a bunch of amps.
Best to keep the the wire large and the run short on those items, in my opinion.
Mark, I value your opinion. I was also thinking of making a small board and mounting it to the upper flat section of the driver's firewall
David Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #12
Eman

Liked 104 Times in 59 Posts

Here's a link to some good info and a wire sizing chart http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431340&highlight=wiring+skills Do yourself a big favor and buy a lot of different color wire and also make a wiring diagram. At home it's no big deal to trace circuits, at the track it's frustrating.

Last edited by Eman; 09-15-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #13
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

Putting all those relays together in the glove box or on a piece of aluminium in the driver's compartment sure looks nice and tidy. Guess what happens if your fuel pump self destructs and dead shorts. I'll tell you, your heavy feed wire to the pump will fry all the way back to your fancy relay panel melting every other wire it's close to. How would I know that?
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #14
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

All my circuits are fused no matter what amperage they run. I have a breaker in the main power distribution block, too. It shut my car off when I floored it once. Something big shorted out. Nothing burned. Same for the fuel pump. Shorts pop fuses.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #15
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Same here...everything fused and fused correctly. Funny, why would anyone take advice from someone who admitted to burning his junk down?
Old 09-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #16
Eman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Putting all those relays together in the glove box or on a piece of aluminium in the driver's compartment sure looks nice and tidy. Guess what happens if your fuel pump self destructs and dead shorts. I'll tell you, your heavy feed wire to the pump will fry all the way back to your fancy relay panel melting every other wire it's close to. How would I know that?
That's why everything gets fuses or a circuit breaker for protection. I've seen the burned wire to the fuel pump on cars before, no fuses and some had no relay. I don't class race and my battery is in the back. My fuel pump and it's relay are in the back also and both circuits to the relay are protected. Also my fuel pump ground goes directly to the battery, not a sheet metal screw into the floor pan.Nothing increases current draw like a bad ground.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #17
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Same here...everything fused and fused correctly. Funny, why would anyone take advice from someone who admitted to burning his junk down?
My stuff was all fused through an ARC panel. Maybe the pump did not dead short, but the feed wire melted back to the relay and the pump was toast. Never burned it down. Funny, how my junk managed to set the NHRA SS record 3 times.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:43 PM   #18
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

I had an ARC relay set before I rebuilt my panel. One of the relays went bad right away and all of the wires seemed too small a gauge for the amps required by race electronics. A relay is just a low voltage switch in a high current draw line. The wire in from power and out to the device still needs to match the needs of the load. I can see a bad fuel pump burning out 18-22 gauge wire on an ARC relay. My Pico relays came with 14G pigtails.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #19
Eman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
My stuff was all fused through an ARC panel. Maybe the pump did not dead short, but the feed wire melted back to the relay and the pump was toast. Never burned it down. Funny, how my junk managed to set the NHRA SS record 3 times.
The ARC panel fuses the trigger for the relay. The main feed to the relay that powers the pump should have a circuit breaker or fuse properly sized for the wire and the load it's feeding. If the fuse is rated higher than the wire the wire burns. That's the reason I posted the wire gauge chart, size and length of the wire is important.
I have a friend with an ARC panel and it was the same deal but he didn't have a relay and still burned the wire, basically his wire became the fusible link.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #20
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman View Post
The ARC panel fuses the trigger for the relay. The main feed to the relay that powers the pump should have a circuit breaker or fuse properly sized for the wire and the load it's feeding. If the fuse is rated higher than the wire the wire burns. That's the reason I posted the wire gauge chart, size and length of the wire is important.
I have a friend with an ARC panel and it was the same deal but he didn't have a relay and still burned the wire, basically his wire became the fusible link.
But...he obviously knows what to do. After all, he set a SS record three times.