HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-04-2022, 09:43 PM   #1
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts
Default Explain to me again, please

Why are (some not all) stockers still running flat tappet lifters when a motor with flat tappets ain't been made in 20 years and a set of tool steel lifters is $2100, 4-6 months back order . Guess my old head just don't see the reasoning or the difference between lifters and rockers. .
Liked
Old 01-04-2022, 11:39 PM   #2
john ancona

Liked 103 Times in 32 Posts
Default Re: Explain to me again, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Cain View Post
Why are (some not all) stockers still running flat tappet lifters when a motor with flat tappets ain't been made in 20 years and a set of tool steel lifters is $2100, 4-6 months back order . Guess my old head just don't see the reasoning or the difference between lifters and rockers. .
You only have to go back to 1/15/2016 on this site to see my post about this topic , one can clearly see that NHRA has implemented rule changes that changed everything in the valvetrain but the lifters , lifters the became the weak link , many racers not only have told ,and showed NHRA over ,and over again over many years ,not weeks or months for years now the destroyed engines ,pistons ,cams ,and lifters costing racers a lot of money needlessly , if they would have left the rules in place on the valve train in the first place we would not be waiting months for ordered lifters today !
Old 01-05-2022, 12:09 AM   #3

Liked 927 Times in 240 Posts

Most don't want solid roller cams in stock, just go back and read posts about it in the past. Opening up that box will get you one more step closer to making a stocker engine a super stock engine with a lift rule.

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:36 AM   #4
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 940 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
They haven`t made an engine with a carburetor in about 35 years neither, do you suggest all older Stockers should be allowed EFI as well? Also been over 20 years since Chevy built a non LS small block, do you suggest LS engines for old cars? I personally believe that NHRA has allowed far too many superseded/approved/updated parts to the "STOCK" class, be nice if at least some semblance of "STOCK" components remains, before it turns into an anything goes bracket class. If you just have to have a roller cam, there are plenty of combinations that came with them from the factory, to chose from.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:16 AM   #5
john ancona

Liked 103 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
Most don't want solid roller cams in stock, just go back and read posts about it in the past. Opening up that box will get you one more step closer to making a stocker engine a super stock engine with a lift rule.
Then put the rules back ,and most will wine about that , in case you haven't noticed stock is already Super Stock ,the lifters will not change fact that stock has gotten way out of hand ,you stated Open up that box will get one more step closer to making a super Stock engine with a lift rule , well, you and others better look again if we are only the lift rule away if we change the lifters what about the other enhancements to stock over the years to get us all to this point ,You freely use the word most ,would they be the guy's that are cheating spending lot's of money to cheat are they the ones that you call most ! The point you ,and others are missing ,and it is still the same as it was back in 2016, and even before that the old cars are at a disadvantage you ,and others may just want to see them disappear while you drive a late model race car with roller lifters ,and have others that can't aford to keep dealing with the lifter problem !
Old 01-05-2022, 08:28 AM   #6
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,809 Times in 1,526 Posts

Ya piks yer kombo and ya pays yer dooz.

If you want a roller lifter combo with EFI then that's where you start.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:21 AM   #7
Terry Cain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
Maybe we need a poll because MOST (from my outlook with all the new motors available) are already running solid rollers. They wouldn't need to vote. It looks to me like the only ones not running them are the cars from 60-early 80's. At the rate of $2100 a set and 6 months wait time for tool steel lifters they can lower the entry to 30 and 95% will be roller motors. If I have to qualify for a event spot against a non-vin, state of the art, factory made race car at least make it fair for the old flat tappet cars.
Liked
Old 01-05-2022, 10:36 AM   #8
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,809 Times in 1,526 Posts

Quote:
If I have to qualify for a event spot against a non-vin, state of the art, factory made race car at least make it fair for the old flat tappet cars.
Soooooooo.......... you don't care about qualifying being "fair to the old flat tappet cars", you care about it being "fair" to you!
Here's a "fair" way to make this work without affecting anyone else, why don't you go and buy a "non-vin,state of the art, factory made race car"!

It's thinking like THIS that has S/SS in the screwed up state that it's in and why there needs to be some re-thinking and some back-tracking of some of the rules by NHRA and Tech.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:05 AM   #9
SDT1DYI

Liked 395 Times in 125 Posts

Just like after market heads, if you car did not come with Roller lifters, if you want to run them, add an additional 5 hp to your
Combo.
NHRA should have implemented other HP adjustments for several other non OEM approved engine parts.
Would of leveled the playing field in Stock.

Steve Teeter Stk/SS 620
SDT1DYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:15 AM   #10
Terry Cain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Soooooooo.......... you don't care about qualifying being "fair to the old flat tappet cars", you care about it being "fair" to you!
Here's a "fair" way to make this work without affecting anyone else, why don't you go and buy a "non-vin,state of the art, factory made race car"!

It's thinking like THIS that has S/SS in the screwed up state that it's in and why there needs to be some re-thinking and some back-tracking of some of the rules by NHRA and Tech.
I would think a rule change would effect "all flattappet motors. Am I wrong to think that?