Old 11-19-2011, 04:24 AM   #11
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Thumbs up Re: IHRA Expands Sportsman Spectacular to 3 weekends in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Stubbs View Post
Finally we get some of these great races closer. Nice job.
I'm with you on this, and I'm also excited to look on IHRA's news feed for the announcement that IHRA is creating a Division 7 of their own. Racer feedback will be key on expanding this to stretch out to include us too (given that it's mainly going to focus on the Summit ET Super Series type of layout for starters), but I think this is awesome for those of us looking forward to an alternative venue for our racing dollars!

At this years Nitro Jam race in San Antonio, it was a class race for us Stock racers, and I did get a plaque for my class win (as did all others who attended, since not one of us had a similarly classed car)...just in case anyone scoffs at only getting plaques for a class win, let me remind you of this years less than heartwarming (for individual class cars) format from the Glendora based association (not to mention the nearly non-existent class postings compared to years/decades past)!

I'm glad that one of those Sportsman Spectacular races is closer to us western area racers (it may be 900+ miles away, but for a chance at $5,000 bucks with only a $200 dollar entry, I'm planning for it)!!! Furthermore, Rocky Mountain Raceway will be holding a regular Nitro Jam national event next year, which means NO COMBO RACE THIS TIME, IT'S A REGULAR NATIONAL EVENT FOR 2012!!!

With the Div. 7 NHRA schedule being as it is for us Arizona based sportsman racers next year, I'm glad that a new Div 7 (IHRA), is being created, with future alternatives for those of us who aren't solely fixated on supporting the enhanced Glendora bunch(ONLY), once we get a lucrative option for our racing dollars. I'm looking forward to it, and the new possibilities this will create for us southwestern sportsman racers!

As for the Memorial Day weekend racing, per this years Lucas Oil Divisional schedule, only the Div. 4 race in Belle Rose, was on Memorial Day weekend (remotely close to San Antonio, that is), so it would open the door for southern & western D5 racers, as well as south/east D7 racers, plus any western D4 racers who may not be able to make the tow to La.? By the sounds of the track out there with Pat Joffrion in charge, if I lived in that part of the country, I'd be going to Belle Rose. However, we don't have people like Pat out here in our D7 Az. base (who do for us racers what he's done there), so I'll be going back to the site of "THE ALAMO", to support this race...especially with that kind of money up for grabs! It may be a bit hot there in San Antonio that time of year, but since IHRA left our indexes alone, I'll be competitive even in the summer-like Texas heat!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)

Last edited by GarysZ24; 11-19-2011 at 04:53 AM.
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote