http://www.ihra.com/News/2011/11/15/1/

Looks like San Antonio, Memphis and MIR for 2012
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,869 Times in 641 Posts
Default Re: IHRA Expands Sportsman Spectacular to 3 weekends in 2012

Not a very good idea in my opinion, most of the division 4 car counts have been low around 20 stockers and 6-10 super stockers. Maybe it will work out for them, time will tell. Hopefully racers in that area will support it, I personally enjoyed the format and think some more would too if they give it a shot. I just believe IHRA would have been better suited to have another one closer to their base area say Pittsburgh. Time will tell.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree 150%.
Pittsburgh
Baton Rouge in the spring
Darlington or Rockingham
All of these are much better choices just because of rheir history with large car counts at Divisional races.

I think memorial day weekend was not a good idea either.
Chip Johnson
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
K Stubbs

Liked 20 Times in 3 Posts

Finally we get some of these great races closer. Nice job.
K Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,869 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE LEGEND View Post
I agree 150%.
Pittsburgh
Baton Rouge in the spring
Darlington or Rockingham
All of these are much better choices just because of rheir history with large car counts at Divisional races.

I think memorial day weekend was not a good idea either.
Chip Johnson
Darlington would be an excellent choice and only 3 hours from my house, and alot closer to yours huh? I still don't understand it the more I think about it they had horrible car counts at the Nitro Jam there.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
luckydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It would be great to have one a little closer to division 3. I think Pittsburgh is the obvious choice. I went to Budds Creek last year and really liked the format. With the races getting farther away for this season, I doubt you'll see me at one. Be nice to have one here in Ohio if there were any tracks left!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
I went to Budds Creek last year and really liked the format. With the races getting farther away for this season, I doubt you'll see me at one.
How much further is Maryland International Raceway than Budds Creek? LOL

Memphis is only 30 min or so further for you than Budds Creek. Couple it with the free entry $10K to win Tournament of Champions, and it looks like a pretty worthwhile trip.

But hey, maybe people don't know about it. DragRacingOnline's Jeff Burk has this epiphany: "What took them so long? The IHRA has just announced a three-race series for sportsman racers that will pay seven Sportsman classes $5,000 to win and is open to every racer that has either an IHRA or an NHRA license. What a great decision on someone’s part at Feld or IHRA! They may have been allowing any racer with a license from either sanctioning body to race, but this is the first I’ve heard of it. Then again the IHRA has always been a little more Sportsman friendly than the NHRA and this decision proves that. " ...despite the reposted announcement on DRO's own site about the races which begins "After a successful debut in 2011..." 'course, this is coming from the same guy that brought us another epiphany in the same editorial: "Are any of the ETs that are recorded for professional classes (Pro Stock Motorcycle excepted) at NHRA events for the actual track distance distance of 1,000 feet or 1320 feet? The answer is no! I was watching the slo-motion camera of the finish line during the big broadcast of theNHRA World Finals and suddenly it hit me. None of the Funny Cars, Pro Stock Cars, Pro Mod, or Top Fuel cars actually receive an ET for the full distance. All of those classes of cars stage with the front tires and then break the timing beam with the bumper or front wing. So the Pro Stock, Pro Mod, and nitro cars are actually racing about 996 or 1316 feet." Nooooo..... really? I just read captions in another magazine referring to GT/GTHA. I'm not sure what class that is.

Sorry this post is all over the map. Just venting.

Sucks that I can't make the one at Budds Creek next year. Same weekend as the World Footbrake Challenge. Can't pass up three $10K's and a $5K! I've been to San Antonio a few times, but we typically have some really good races around here on Memorial Weekend. I don't know what big races are typically done out west on that weekend... with no NHRA/IHRA conflicts, San Antonio *could* be a lot better than you think. Memphis: I'm all in, and looking forward to it. I've been past it a couple times, but have never had the chance to race there.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

I don't know why there weren't more NHRA racers at the big IHRA races last year. For me it was just a little too far. Memphis is a different story and should be a heavily attended race. One thing that bothers me and I think it bothers a lot of stock and super stock racers are the buy backs. I truly believe that the track and IHRA will take in more money by not having them in the form of increased participation. Also class races with trophies or even plaques and some contingency would definitely help with the turnout.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
luckydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
How much further is Maryland International Raceway than Budds Creek? LOL
The $700 it cost me to get there and back is what will keep me away this year. I'm sure it will only cost more this time around. Nothing agaist the race, I loved it . Gotta pay if you wanna play, I just don't wanna play with Mastercard!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: IHRA Expands Sportsman Spectacular to 3 weekends in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hill View Post
I don't know why there weren't more NHRA racers at the big IHRA races last year. For me it was just a little too far. Memphis is a different story and should be a heavily attended race. One thing that bothers me and I think it bothers a lot of stock and super stock racers are the buy backs. I truly believe that the track and IHRA will take in more money by not having them in the form of increased participation. Also class races with trophies or even plaques and some contingency would definitely help with the turnout.
It was brought up in the forums when the Sportsman Spectaculars were originally discussed - to consider having buybacks only if there are less than X amount of cars. IHRA didn't know what to expect from the new format, but the tracks needed some sort of guarantee towards the bottom line. Now that they have a better idea of what to expect and have been recieving feedback, perhaps they can compromise by taking a step towards the possiblity of having buybacks ONLY if the turnout is less than anticipated. If racers compromise in return and take a chance on having enough show up, perhaps buybacks can eventually be eliminated alltogether. A little "give" on both sides and the racers can promote that fact to get more of their friends to attend.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote