HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-17-2011, 12:44 AM   #21
comp 670

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ford and Pro Stock

All of you do realise that GM is not supporting Pro Stock either and has not for a few years right? Yet a GM won the championship this year... WHY do you think Ford not funding teams is going to kill Larry's program when he has not got one dollar from them anyway? As Ford racers we know it's up to us to fund our deals and we WILL make it work. The factorys have very little to do with Pro Stock......The factorys DO NOT do the R&D,the TEAMS do. The best thing the factorys do is help with aero stuff by letting the teams use the wind tunnel. And Ford has done that for Larry.

I'm going to do the best I can to run PS next season but it's TOTALLY up to me to find the funding to do so,not Ford...Would I like to see Ford step up and fund a few Pro Stock teams? YES,but I understand why it will not happen. It's more about inside Ford politics then anything else.
comp 670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:48 AM   #22
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cool Re: Ford and Pro Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kilduff View Post
No disrespect to Bob Glidden, but I think one could argue that Warren Johnson's and Lee Shepard 's images could define NHRA Pro Stock just as well.

Let's not forget Shepard was ruling the roost at the time of his death.
No disrespect to you, Michael,,but if you're going to honor the late great Pro Stock champion, spell his name correctly: Lee Shepherd,, and you're right, he was ruling the roost at the time of his fatal crash.
Go to Youtube: " Steve Evans on Lee Shepherd" this video was at the next national event following Lee's demise.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #23
Michael Kilduff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geerhead55 View Post
No disrespect to you, Michael,,but if you're going to honor the late great Pro Stock champion, spell his name correctly: Lee Shepherd,, and you're right, he was ruling the roost at the time of his fatal crash.
Go to Youtube: " Steve Evans on Lee Shepherd" this video was at the next national event following Lee's demise.
Danny Durham
Spelling is corrected. Thank you for pointing out my mistake, Danny.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #24
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I hope our spelling mistakes never mis-type anything.

Guess autocorrect changed a mis-typed "mistakes" to something dirty. lol
I should pay more attention. Sorry.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 11-17-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #25
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But they (Ford) does support the NASCAR teams to the tune of about 5 million per car per year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comp 670 View Post
All of you do realise that GM is not supporting Pro Stock either and has not for a few years right? Yet a GM won the championship this year... WHY do you think Ford not funding teams is going to kill Larry's program when he has not got one dollar from them anyway? As Ford racers we know it's up to us to fund our deals and we WILL make it work. The factorys have very little to do with Pro Stock......The factorys DO NOT do the R&D,the TEAMS do. The best thing the factorys do is help with aero stuff by letting the teams use the wind tunnel. And Ford has done that for Larry.

I'm going to do the best I can to run PS next season but it's TOTALLY up to me to find the funding to do so,not Ford...Would I like to see Ford step up and fund a few Pro Stock teams? YES,but I understand why it will not happen. It's more about inside Ford politics then anything else.
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #26
Jim B

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOval Ralph View Post
But they (Ford) does support the NASCAR teams to the tune of about 5 million per car per year!
Yes but any big corporation (or any well run business for that matter) aims to spend their advertising money to get the most exposure for the buck. It would be hard to justify expenditures in present day NHRA drag racing when you compare the difference between the 10's of thousands of spectators at a Nascar Sprint Cup race and the spectator attendance at an NHRA national event. Yes, NASCAR attendance is down but the sanctioning body is taking proactive measures to reverse the trend. Not that it is soley NHRA's responsibility but you can't even compare the two sanctioning bodies when it comes to the marketing, preservation and expansion of the sports they individually regulate. The lower "classes" in NASCAR (truck, short track and grassroots, etc.) have not even come close to the level of degradation that the NHRA Sportsman categories have experienced, not entirely but largely due to business and common sense proactive measures taken by the sanctioning body. Whenever a regulatory agency choses to ignore a sizeable faction of it's knowledgeable member population it is rare that a declining scenario improves. Sad but true.... JMHO

Last edited by Jim B; 11-17-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Jim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #27
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts

Pro Stock is in need of a change anyway, they should be flat hoods with FI, 375 ci. No one can relate to 500 ci with 2 x4 carbs anymore. Funny cars with doors!
Casey Miles
248H Stock?
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #28
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Ford and Pro Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
Yes but any big corporation (or any well run business for that matter) aims to spend their advertising money to get the most exposure for the buck. It would be hard to justify expenditures in present day NHRA drag racing when you compare the difference between the 10's of thousands of spectators at a Nascar Sprint Cup race and the spectator attendance at an NHRA national event. Yes, NASCAR attendance is down but the sanctioning body is taking proactive measures to reverse the trend. Not that it is soley NHRA's responsibility but you can't even compare the two sanctioning bodies when it comes to the marketing, preservation and expansion of the sports they individually regulate. The lower "classes" in NASCAR (truck, short track and grassroots, etc.) have not even come close to the level of degradation that the NHRA Sportsman categories have experienced, not entirely but largely due to business and common sense proactive measures taken by the sanctioning body. Whenever a regulatory agency choses to ignore a sizeable faction of it's knowledgeable member population it is rare that a declining scenario improves. Sad but true.... JMHO
Very good post on one of the problems with NHRA today.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #29
Dan Bennett

Liked 353 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
...And Ford racers, the GT500 now comes with a carbon fiber driveshaft. Sounds like a superseded part in the making!
That's a great point which clicked on a light bulb in my brain.

In the early 50s, Zora Arkus Duntov wrote a letter to the big wigs at Chevrolet. He strongly made the case that the key to making the brand a performance icon (remember, at this time all they made were six cylinders) was to make inexpensive parts which would allow anyone to hop up their small block.

We got Duntov cams, big valve heads, intakes, and more. That was a stroke of genius, and the rest is history.

Why do we see so many Camaros in Stock and Super Stock? Because they follow Duntov's premise: fairly cheap (at least at one time), good performance, and easily available parts.

So here it is in 2011 and we have the same concept, of a manufacturer providing hard core racing parts to the masses. Except this time it's Ford.
They are the only OEM that cares about drag racing and it shows.

Keeping with the spirit of the thread, in my mind a carbon fiber driveshaft sold to anyone is much more significant than a hand-built Pro Stock car or two.

Unless one of the other manufacturers decides to compete, I would wager big money that the Mustangs will be the dominant cars 10 or 20 years from now and appear in the big numbers that Camaros do now.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #30
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Great post, Dan.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 11-17-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote