HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
Jim Bailey

Liked 505 Times in 104 Posts
Cool Stock and SS racers .... interesting, worth reading !

Sometime over this holiday season, take time to set down and read - "Why is bracket racing the only form of racing without rules." - well written by Jok Nicholson. Find it on ETdragracing.com .... Dead On with Jok Nicholson..... It's very enlightening and thought provoking. Merry Christmas -Jim-
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts
Default Re: Stock and SS racers .... interesting, worth reading !

Here:

http://etdragracing.com/magazine/201...-without-rules
Old 12-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
RJ Sledge

Liked 247 Times in 78 Posts

Jim that is an interesting read. I agree with Jok about the attendance issue and his explanation makes perfect sense.

I know absolutely zilch about the new electronics available, had a Race pack and all I could ever figure out was to check the flash on the converter. Don't doubt for an instant that these things are going on.

Seen racers who were run of the mill drivers for several years and then all of a sudden they can't lose. Then again if its not against the rules of NHRA their not cheating, their just taking advantage of the situation.

BB King sums it up best with........."The Thrill is gone".

RJ

Last edited by RJ Sledge; 12-10-2014 at 06:16 PM.
RJ Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 704 Times in 176 Posts

After reading the article, many issues come to mind relating to bracket racing, whether electronic or non-electronic, that have not been addressed by any sanctioning body or race track. The economic need for consistent easy-to-operate programs for tracks has pushed the "no rules" situation Mr. Nicholson describes. If participation in high revenue drag races is to thrive, then it has to have controls imposed. It will cease to be a sport when it becomes merely a display of technology in action. A fan will only be attracted if it is a real competition of participants' skills during the contest, not the ability to beat the system with money and technology.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Dave Noll

Liked 217 Times in 104 Posts

To me this is simply a matter of enforcing rules we already have,

"Timed vehicle control devices (counters, time displays,etc.) except as outlined under Class Requirements, are prohibited.
Data recorders are permitted in Advanced E.T. and Super Pro only."

(Section 4 page 1)

It's obvious that a car needs an ignition system to run ,but "timed" and "control" are key to me here.

"Once you leave the line with the trans-brake that signals the uploaded Programmed RPM to Time limits (Slew Rate) to start."

Using a program in a laptop to change pulse width and timing could be compared to changing jets in a carb and re-curving a distributor but this is about Controlling the RATE of acceleration. I don't see the need for new rules, just enforce what we've got
Old 12-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
Jim Bailey

Liked 505 Times in 104 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Stock and SS racers .... interesting, worth reading !

One easy thing, that could be done, is to not allow hand held programmers in the car during a run. That would make it easier to check the programmable ignition's program at the end of a run. That's a simple plug in transfer to a lap top.
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

I may not have the correct terms,this will be in KY hillbilly terms.
I had a customer a few years ago that was doing what the article talks about by accident.
He had mustang sbf turbo running 8.5X26 outlaw class, they ran a low 5.20 and was going down track like was on a string,they tried to step it cranked around 4-5 lbs. more boost in should have blowed tires off or flew,still went low 5.20 like it was on string,took them a while to figure out,that they couldn't go any faster than a low 5.20 until they changed the timing curves in box,everytime car went to spin or rpm went above certain rpm at certain time/point it would yank timing out to keep it within the settings of their baseline low 5.20 pass.
Made changes in ignition box then they could blow tires off and go faster,went 5.0's almost instantly eventually went 4.90 something.
A guy in shop yesterday said dirt track guys run two boxes,when track gets black slick during race they switch boxes.
I'm not sure,I guess you have to hook laptop up to make changes,would be why they use two boxes?
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
ken robinson

Liked 163 Times in 68 Posts

Thats very interesting . I always ran the no electronic classes ( no 2steps , auto shifters delay boxs , trans brakes ) . But it could be used in a newer stocker efi car .
ken robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:16 AM   #9
Gary Smith

Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts

Wasn't this the basis of the "Terrible Twelve" infractions several years ago that got them "banned" from several tracks and big money brackets? The driveline "slew gauges"???
Old 12-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

You need to quote a little further:

Quote:
Once you leave the line with the trans-brake that signals the uploaded Programmed RPM to Time limits (Slew Rate) to start. If the air is the same as your base run, your car will now be slower because the Slew Rate program will not allow the engine to accelerate faster than your program. To accomplish that, the rev limiter kicks in and out to keep the engine at a certain rate of acceleration
Quote:
I don't see the need for new rules, just enforce what we've got
You are correct. In addition to the Time Vehicle Controls section, downtrack stutters are expressly prohibited.

Quote:
Wasn't this the basis of the "Terrible Twelve" infractions several years ago that got them "banned" from several tracks and big money brackets? The driveline "slew gauges"???
"Dirty Dozen." It was a different system, but similar concept.

Cars are so good these days that it doesn't take a lot of adjustment to take them from great to nearly perfect.