Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 01-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #11
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts
Default Re: Military Exchanges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
I saw that. It is a step in the right direction. If it helps any veteran, I am all for it. I know that it will next fall before implementation. I also compared some current prices on AAFES items and they seem to be a little higher. The savings could come in no sales tax.

In my case, that doesn't make much difference because I live in Maricopa County and do not get hit with city tax when ordering on Amazon.

The big deal for me will be commissary benefits. Not in the works yet for disabled vets unless 100%, active duty, medal of honor or retired. I'm 90%.
I am a terrible bargain shopper but right before Christmas I called the NEX in Fallon asked them about price matching, they said they did. They matched Amazon on a 27" Retinal iMac, then they where having a sale and knocked $150 off, on top of that they handed me a scratcher, I scratched one of the dots for an additional 5% off for a total of $245 saving. In California, it was convenience and no 8.87% tax. Keep in mind all the Exchanges support Morale, Welfare and Recreation, which in turn supports the troops.
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:21 PM   #12
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddies66 View Post
Starting next Veteran Day 2017, all vets not just active and retirees can shop at the exchange (online). This is a vast savings for shopping at a discount department store.

https://www.aafes.com/exchange-stores/

I'm a bit confused. I served active 7/63 to 7/65 and inactive 7/65 to 7/69. Am I elegable ?
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #13
Eddies66
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
I'm a bit confused. I served active 7/63 to 7/65 and inactive 7/65 to 7/69. Am I elegable ?
Do you have an Honorable Discharge stated on your DD214? That is all you need.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #14
Eddies66
VIP Member

Another institution you may want to look into is USAA Banking. I use it for banking, cars, insurance (car, home and life), investments etc. Just need to be a Vet to be a member. I have been a member since 1977.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:37 PM   #15
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 458 Times in 173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Ed, looks like you were drafted also. Our draftee commitment was 2 years active and 4 years inactive (I think it was 4 years), for a total of 6 years. After 6, I got my Honorable Discharge Certificate. When I separated in Ft. Lewis, Washington, I got several copies of my DD214 and was told to hold on to them. My DD214 indicates "honorably discharged".
You can get copies of your DD214, just do a Google search. Good luck my friend.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:34 AM   #16
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
Ed, looks like you were drafted also. Our draftee commitment was 2 years active and 4 years inactive (I think it was 4 years), for a total of 6 years. After 6, I got my Honorable Discharge Certificate. When I separated in Ft. Lewis, Washington, I got several copies of my DD214 and was told to hold on to them. My DD214 indicates "honorably discharged".
You can get copies of your DD214, just do a Google search. Good luck my friend.
Thanks Eddie. SS Dart, I still have my original DD-214. Also my draft card. I don't seem to throw anything away.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #17
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 689 Times in 132 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Exclamation Re: Military Exchanges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddies66 View Post
Another institution you may want to look into is USAA Banking. I use it for banking, cars, insurance (car, home and life), investments etc. Just need to be a Vet to be a member. I have been a member since 1977.
Actually you don't need to be a vet to have USAA Ins. I have never been in the service and I have had USAA for over 45 years. My dad was in the service and that is why I was able to have USAA. If one of your parents or spouse was in the service and had USAA, you can join. They are rated #1. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #18
Eddies66
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
Actually you don't need to be a vet to have USAA Ins. I have never been in the service and I have had USAA for over 45 years. My dad was in the service and that is why I was able to have USAA. If one of your parents or spouse was in the service and had USAA, you can join. They are rated #1. Jim

So true, dependents can be members both girls have it. Wife's father was #17 in USAA. We got it first under her status and when I became an officer we got it under my status. At one time it was only open to officers and their dependents.