HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
rod

Location: Kingman, NW AZ. in the middle of the longest stretch of Route 66
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Default oil filter info

I saw this in a mag. and thought I would pass it on. since it was in a public mag. I hope no one objects to it being replayed.
==========================================
Choosing the right filter for break in.
using an oil filter designed for racing may not be what you want for breaking in a new engine or cam shaft. these filters are designed to move more gallons of oil per minute than a stock filter. to obtain this outcome they do not filter to as small a micron as a good production oil filter. for example one major filter mfg'r Chevy race filter has a flow rate of 28 gpm while designed to filter down to 61 microns. the same mfg'r production filter will move 11gpm and filter down to 21 microns. this means it is able to remove particulate matter that cannot be seen by the human eye. [which can see down to 40 microns FYI].
this is important because what you can't see can hurt your engine. remember that 32 microns is equal to 1 1/2 thou of an inch [0.0015"].
that means that 61 microns is almost .003"-larger than the clearance in most racing engines and much larger than the clearance inside a hyd. lifter. if you are thinking your big block Chevy is running .0035" clearance on the mains and this is not a problem. remember that this clearance is divided in half. we may be talking about 1 thou. or less on one side of a typical rod bearing.
clearance size particles are the ones that get stuck in between bearings and journals and between lifters and lifter bores.
Engine Pro Tech. Committee. Special Thanks to Lake Speed Jr. and Driven Oil Racing Oil
rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
carl hinkson

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: oil filter info

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod View Post
I saw this in a mag. and thought I would pass it on. since it was in a public mag. I hope no one objects to it being replayed.
==========================================
Choosing the right filter for break in.
using an oil filter designed for racing may not be what you want for breaking in a new engine or cam shaft. these filters are designed to move more gallons of oil per minute than a stock filter. to obtain this outcome they do not filter to as small a micron as a good production oil filter. for example one major filter mfg'r Chevy race filter has a flow rate of 28 gpm while designed to filter down to 61 microns. the same mfg'r production filter will move 11gpm and filter down to 21 microns. this means it is able to remove particulate matter that cannot be seen by the human eye. [which can see down to 40 microns FYI].
this is important because what you can't see can hurt your engine. remember that 32 microns is equal to 1 1/2 thou of an inch [0.0015"].
that means that 61 microns is almost .003"-larger than the clearance in most racing engines and much larger than the clearance inside a hyd. lifter. if you are thinking your big block Chevy is running .0035" clearance on the mains and this is not a problem. remember that this clearance is divided in half. we may be talking about 1 thou. or less on one side of a typical rod bearing.
clearance size particles are the ones that get stuck in between bearings and journals and between lifters and lifter bores.
Engine Pro Tech. Committee. Special Thanks to Lake Speed Jr. and Driven Oil Racing Oil
I have never used the R filters as I have seen a few of my circle track customers try them and the crank and bearings show micro scratches.I am no accustom to seeing that.

I have always used the 1061 NAPA gold with a 19 to 21 Micron rating with the filter bypass plugged with excellent results.
carl hinkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

That is the filter I have used for years, also with the bypass plugged. Good to hear you approve as well.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
Eman

Liked 104 Times in 59 Posts

Good info, I like the standard Wix filters for their smaller micron rating. Also stick rare earth(neodymium) magnets to the bottom of the filter. You'd be very surprised how much metal gets stuck to the shell of the filter with the magnets.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman View Post
Good info, I like the standard Wix filters for their smaller micron rating. Also stick rare earth(neodymium) magnets to the bottom of the filter. You'd be very surprised how much metal gets stuck to the shell of the filter with the magnets.
NAPA filters are made by WIX.