does not matter 5 3.55%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #21
Rusty Gillis

Liked 87 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Tru-start poll for DIv 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
I remember in 1974-75 you ran off the National record with a tenth under breakout was allowed.
It was handicap racing, with the handicaps coming from the National record in your class

I think the index system came out in 1977 & if your car was faster than your given index
you were allowed to dial quicker, but not sure if you can dial different each round.
Don't think you were.
You could run a tenth under the record except there was no breakout in the final in 1971.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #22
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gillis View Post
You could run a tenth under the record except there was no breakout in the final in 1971.
I liked that deal. In the heat, at slower tracks, not everybody could run the record. Mattered how fast you were. Kinda dumbed down now.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:19 PM   #23
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I liked that deal. In the heat, at slower tracks, not everybody could run the record. Mattered how fast you were. Kinda dumbed down now.
So, someone shows-up with their U/SA capable of going .09 under their National Index. Unless his opponent hits the tree better or can go .10 under their National Index with the same light, the guy can't lose?
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #24
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmracing View Post
So, someone shows-up with their U/SA capable of going .09 under their National Index. Unless his opponent hits the tree better or can go .10 under their National Index with the same light, the guy can't lose?
Why would you think not? If he is the only car that can run that far under, and he is on time, how would he lose? Lower class cars won all the time. Very few could run so far under back then, at least around here, that there was not much "driving the stripe". A lot of the slow guys went bracket racing when that came along. Car counts went way down.
NHRA had to go to these slow indexes to draw the slow guys back. About any old thing will run under these indexes.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #25
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

The trouble with running off the records was basically two things. There was always somebody with a soft record and he would have a big advantage, and the flip side was somebody setting the record in mineshaft conditions hurting everybody else in the same class.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:59 PM   #26
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Most were smart enough to not bomb the record, since they had to run off them. It was not that big a problem. Most I have talked to that raced back then, liked it better.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:37 AM   #27
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Why would you think not? If he is the only car that can run that far under, and he is on time, how would he lose? Lower class cars won all the time. Very few could run so far under back then, at least around here, that there was not much "driving the stripe". A lot of the slow guys went bracket racing when that came along. Car counts went way down.
NHRA had to go to these slow indexes to draw the slow guys back. About any old thing will run under these indexes.
Just wanted to make sure I understood how it was back then. I guess Class Racing was starting to die when too many people just felt uncompetitive and NHRA changed the way things ran. No more heads-up unless you were in the same class. Kept more people interested, otherwise Stock would look like Comp now, if it was even still around.....
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:54 PM   #28
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Only heads ups were between cars in the same class. Had none at national events because only class winners ran eliminations. I won my first points race, at slow track, running a tenth off the record. Didn't have a real close race all day.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:32 PM   #29
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Do the guys not believing the vote was correct, expect it to be Yes by a large margin?
Is that why some believe it to be wrong? Or, just disappointed?
Old 12-31-2016, 05:07 PM   #30
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 655 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Do the guys not believing the vote was correct, expect it to be Yes by a large margin?
Is that why some believe it to be wrong? Or, just disappointed?
For sure 4 people voted in multiple division once. That's 12 more votes that were counted towards the total. Don't know which way a couple of the 4 voted. I'm sure there are more that voted in multiple divisions then the 4 I know of. My disappointment was the lack of good faith in some. I didn't think I needed to write a rule book on voting.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote