Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #31
Mark Faul

Liked 43 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: 2016 Oildown enhancements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Hulquist View Post
As I read these posts about the rising cost of racing and the anger that it causes a very vocal few. I can't help but wonder why you the few continue to complain about YOUR situation or imply that its NHRA's problem that YOU don't have the resources to race and enjoy yourself. I'm fortunate enough to be self employed and enjoy some of the benefits that it affords me most of the time, but what struck me this morning was the renewal of the commercial insurance policy that has increased for the 16th year, and if I had not passed the cost on thru the services I provide, I would be scratching a broke ***** here today. I also wish the cost of racing was less and the payout was more but like so many, common sense tells me for that to happen the entry fee would have to be increased substantially, just pick a number 1,000, 2,000 3,000 entry and the purse would be better for the top two cars and trickle down accordingly. The facts are the cost of doing everything is up and we have little or no control. I have read the posts about the salary that the management @NHRA received and, if that was the problem IHRA would be the answer. I haven't seen their W2's posted, but I don't think they are compensated the same so, I don't believe complaining on Class Racer is going to change that one dollar, its unfortunate that everyone can' t play, but that's life in general. Be happy with what you have or stay home and complain to your dog, wife or whoever is willing to listen. I'm very thankful I woke up this morning, most things on my body are working and I'm not going to complain about a damn thing today.
Dale, yes racing is expensive. We all know that going in. What really bugs me is the entry increase vs the purse lack of increase. I'm a relative newcomer compared to some racers out there. I ran my first national event in 1996, and the entry was $160. Plus you could sell the extra crew pass they gave you back to NHRA for $40 if you didn't need it. When I won my first national in 1998, the purse was $1800 in SS.
Fast forward to 2016...Entry is $320 and crew pass is $85. The purse? $1800. Plus as others have pointed out, the contingency is horrible. I won a total of &15,000 20 years ago without trying as hard as now on the stickers. Now I'd be lucky to get $10,000.
Mark Faul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #32
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Dale,
All is well and good here, but just like you everywhere it is getting more expensive. I could afford to build another track and run it, but NHRA's policies are not even conducive to a track owner making the profit he should for the investment. Over a decade ago I did exactly what you suggested. I chose to run only IHRA. Then I got the ego rush to run some NHRA races. It didn't take long for me to remember why I had made the decision to let my membership and drivers license expire. In may 2008 I decided they were not getting any more money or support from me until they changed some of their policies toward sportsman racing. I have not seen any good significant changes despite a lot of their rhetoric of doing so. The oil down enhancement was one of those policies that was a tipping point for me. I also sat back and looked at the big picture. NHRA management doesn't want but enough sportsman racers at a National event to make for good filler. They are now having trouble selling their divisional events and need to move Sportsman participation from National events to participating at Divisional. Why, can't they just come out and say that instead of hiding their intentions behind rules and quotas. Without going into the difference of how the National events and the Divisional races pay NHRA I'll just say they have milked the track owners that hold Divisional races just like they have Sportsman racers. The medium size track cannot afford NHRA. If they changed a few policies and cut some of the heavy overhead out they could probably make things more affordable and grow the sport instead of just squeezing a dollar out of it. Point: just look at how their policies have run the contingency sponsors away. Sportsman racers depended on them for money and support.
As far as writing on class Racer, I will probably continue to voice my opinion, esp on the subject of where NHRA is taking the Sportsman program. If you don't appreciate my humor or opinions or even like or agree you can see my name clearly displayed (not hidden in a Screen name avatar or alias) and move on to something more suitable to your reading habits.

Last edited by Adger Smith; 02-11-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #33
tpoh815

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Thumbs down Re: 2016 Oildown enhancements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER1530 View Post
Really ? When are you guys going to get a set ? You all need to walk away and show them you don't have to put up with there ship,the NHRA is just as bad as the government but you don't have a choice with government. There are more choices out there where they are not trying to push you out,look at some of the alternatives. Local tracks,assioatiion races,big dollar bracket racing,or just keep letting them bend you over.
Your choice !!
Thought the same thing. They are making it harder for racers that want to be a part of it all. I agree if the car blows up you might as well oil both sides and get your moneys worth!
Old 02-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #34
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,610 Times in 377 Posts

Well said. Dale. Always the same old witch hunt
Old 02-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #35
Racer 6x64

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is a bit a bull**** rule, I say that because at our home track they also have an oildown penalty of a $1000.00 however... they do not enforce it if you have a diaper or belly pan. If they feel you did what you could to prevent it then its not your fault.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:09 PM   #36
Jim Bailey

Liked 571 Times in 107 Posts
Cool Re: 2016 Oildown enhancements

Don't over react guys. I was involved at a pro level when all this stuff started. An oil down back then, was defined as "WHEN THE TRUCKS ROLL". As long as NHRA doesn't get crazy about mopping up a few drips, I don't think we have much to be worried about. At least I hope that's the case.
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:09 PM   #37
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 458 Times in 173 Posts

Has any Sportsman racer been subject to the oil down tax yet?
Old 02-14-2016, 04:39 AM   #38
Rod Greene

Liked 204 Times in 72 Posts

I would expect that Markus Svensen got a fine for his trans blow up on Thursday in Pomona with Meadors great white whale. It was about a half hour clean up.