Angry EPA To Prohibit the Conversion of Street Cars into Race Cars

https://www.sema.org/news/2016/02/08...-into-racecars
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:41 AM   #2
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 938 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: EPA To Prohibit the Conversion of Street Cars into Race

What a load of crap! How would the EPA know what somebody does with their own car after they buy it? If I was to buy another old Mustang, and did not register or insure it for "on road use", how would they know it was now a race car, or sitting out in the yard under a tree, or taken apart and scrapped? I wonder if this is supposed to affect only new cars, or any car, regardless of age. It could certainly affect the COPO, Cobra Jet, and Drag Pack MoPars if it applied to new cars, but then again, they are not titled for street use anyhow. If somebody takes their brand new Mustang, Camaro, or for that matter, a Prius, to the local drag strip for a Street Legal night, or weekend bracket race, does the act of using a bottle of shoe polish to put a number on the window constitute "converting a street car into a race car?"
Old 02-09-2016, 01:01 AM   #3
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

Time to get on the phone with your representatives and senators. Email works also.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:00 AM   #4
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 260 Posts

They will piggy back it on the back of something that is important to get it passed. that is the kind of Garbage that needs to be stopped. If something goes into law it should stand the test of standing alone, not hiding in the fine print of another law!!!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #5
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

There is a petition for signing:

https://www.change.org/p/u-s-house-o...edium=copylink
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
They will piggy back it on the back of something that is important to get it passed. that is the kind of Garbage that needs to be stopped. If something goes into law it should stand the test of standing alone, not hiding in the fine print of another law!!!
This doesn't have to be voted on so it will not be attached to any other measure that gets voted on in Congress. This is purely a government-defined and enforced regulation that will be put into law by the EPA. This regulation will be just as binding as legislation that is voted on however and will be almost impossible to reverse if it becomes law. This is serious folks. This administration is quietly changing your American way of life by punishing you for your freedom and sovereignty in the name of stuff like "sustainability", "civil liberties", "social responsibility", the "green movement", etc. Get involved. Support SEMA. Write your congressional delegation. This is a regulation that will be put into effect June 2016 unless Congress stops it.

I have subscribed to the Congressional Review via email since 1996. Along with a report of the activities of Congress, I receive a summary list of all the new regulations imposed by governmental agencies that have authority over so many activities within our society. During the Clinton and Bush administrations, the list of new regulations was commonly 15 to 20 pages long. Since this administration has taken office, the report has grown to 500 to as high as 1100 pages of new regulations PER MONTH. And about 60% of the regulations include punitive actions described and authority given to unregulated agencies that can include fines, jail time and confiscation of property. Get scared and get mad. Something will have to be done.

Get involved and follow this issue. Their most effective tactic is to continue to hammer the issue until they get their way. It will not be a victory to simply stop this action. It will come up again and again and again. We will have to constantly fight.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Get involved and follow this issue. Their most effective tactic is to continue to hammer the issue until they get their way....We will have to constantly fight.
This is the most important message of all. Contact your congress men and women, and keep contacting them. This affects not only racers, but manufacturers, chassis builders, etc. This is a huge overreach of your freedom.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #8
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,448 Times in 1,953 Posts

I will do my part.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #9
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

When the EPA manufactured its own definition of "navigable waters" to turn your backyard into an EPA-regulated "wetlands" if there was a puddle there, nobody noticed and nobody cared. Now there's this.

A government big enough and powerful enough to do things you want is big and powerful enough to do things you don't want. This is what big government progressives have wrought - both R's and D's. It's well past time to WAKE UP. This is why politics, principles and returning to a constitutionally-limited government matter. This is why it matters to fight for what's right, even when you're not part of an afflicted group. As drag racers, we are a minority segment of the population. Voters weren't there to fight all of the other government overreach and abuse, so who do we think is going to fight for *us*?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #10
Ellis V Buth

Liked 274 Times in 53 Posts

What does this mean for cars that are already "converted?"

I sure do hope they get enough people showing their concern to keep this from happening. I don't usually get worked up about stuff like this, and the article doesn't go into enough detail to know exactly how far they are trying to go, but this one really upsets me.

Every day, I wish more and more that I'd been born 10 years sooner...
Ellis V Buth is offline   Reply With Quote