HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 08-18-2014, 02:02 AM   #1
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts
Default Strange truck/trailer electrical problem.

Earlier this year I replaced my old ramp truck with a F350 dually and 24 foot Wells Cargo trailer. On Saturday morning I was all loaded up for a race, but when I was ready to leave home, as soon as I turned on my trucks headlights, the red light on the brake controller came on and the trailer brakes were engaged. Turned the lights off, and the truck would move, turn the lights on, and the trailer brakes locked up. When I unplugged the trailer harness from the truck, the controller light went out, and the brakes were released. I have used the truck and trailer before with no issues, so it can`t be anything wired up wrong, but I`m guessing power is being fed back thru the electrical system. Anybody experianced this before?
Old 08-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Painter

Liked 161 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: Strange truck/trailer electrical problem.

More than likely your trailer has been grounding thru the hitch ball. Trailer sat awhile without being hooked up and some corrosion formed in the coupler and on the ball. Most strange electrical problems when you first hook up can be traced to bad grounds between the truck and trailer.
Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
drgrcr1156

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Another area to lock is the 7-way plug. Look for corrosion tracing between the terminals.
drgrcr1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

CHECK the wiring to make sure you have the wires in the correct position in the trailer plug in relation to the truck receptacle--- look inside the cover flap on the truck and it will give you the position number and the wire color for each position make sure it matches the trailer pattern--- some use the RV pattern and others may have used the commercial truck wiring pattern--- also if your truck is over about 10 yrs old the factory wiring receptable is probably corroded inside & you can get a replacement unit on ebay for less than $10--- my experience on this!!!!---FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

Most all "strange" electrical problems come from bad grounding. I always recommend running a separate ground wire for the trailer wiring and not rely solely on the hitch to make the ground.
Dan
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

My son just had a similar issue with his rig...only when he turned his ignition on the trailer brakes would apply (turning the ignition on makes the Aux. battery terminal hot in the 7 pin plug, at least on the fords) He unhooked the plug a few times and it stopped but I'm certain there's corrosion in either the vehicle plug or the trailer plug or both. The only other option is one of the 2 is miswired. If the truck has the factory 7 pin plug then that would be wired correctly, at that point I'd look closely at the trailer wiring. Good luck Joe BTW any modern enclosed trailer has a dedicated ground wire in it's plug...so grounding thru the ball is a thing of the past.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
Wayne W

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Poor ground.
Wayne W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

You might also check the trailer wiring where exposed for rodential munching.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote