HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
asmyth1783

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Double Bye Runs

For the sake of curiosity : How does everyone feel about double bye runs?

Double bye runs are becoming more and more common due to lower turnouts. I've been in a situation where I received two bye runs, and while it is always nice to go to the next round ... I'm not sure I agree with it. Ladders can definitely be setup to ensure that no racer has more than one bye run. I'm just curious to see how others feel about this.
asmyth1783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts
Default Re: Double Bye Runs

Allison - Take what you can get and don't look back!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Lyn Smith
VIP Member

Liked 841 Times in 156 Posts
Talking Re: Double Bye Runs

If you feel bad about getting a second bye run just turn it down.Im sure there will be someone else who would gladly take it.LOL
Lyn Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

The way the ladder is set (in a 'normal' race) the #1 qualifier can get two bye runs, when there is a certain number of cars (33, 65 for example). They can get the first or second round bye and the quarter or semifinal bye. Not counting any cars that break during eliminations. That would just be luck of the draw.

In a rainout situation, it can get more bizarre. 2002, the Dutch Classic rained out after round 1. We went back several weeks later. There were a lot of bye runs, and even some double bye runs (two drivers scheduled to race in round 2, neither showed, giving someone a bye in round 3). I think several drivers had back to back bye runs.

And yes, I will never turn a bye run down. I have had several in my bracket racing career for the best RT the previous round, and two 'broke' byes in Stock. I never complained.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
asmyth1783

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hahaha I will never turn down a second bye either! I was mostly thinking about the byes set in the ladder (not byes from another car breaking). I have looked at the ladders quite a bit, and it is possible to set them up so that no racer is eligible for 2 bye runs. I was thinking it might cut down on the ladder games if 2 bye runs are not available.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
Mike Schwartz

Liked 191 Times in 65 Posts

Do all bye runs in the first round if there is a odd/short field. From that point on, you should actually have to win races to advance. I hate seeing someone who qualified 56th earning a bye directly from a quarterfinal win straight through to the finals just because they inherited a quicker driver's scheduled bye.

Also, since NHRA is now eliminating through the quarterfinals on Saturday at some events, there can be as few as 2 meaningful races on Sunday in a class with a semifinal bye.
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmyth1783 View Post
For the sake of curiosity : How does everyone feel about double bye runs?

Double bye runs are becoming more and more common due to lower turnouts. I've been in a situation where I received two bye runs, and while it is always nice to go to the next round ... I'm not sure I agree with it. Ladders can definitely be setup to ensure that no racer has more than one bye run. I'm just curious to see how others feel about this.
you can actually get 3 bye runs in a race
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:09 AM   #8
BobOrme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmyth1783 View Post
Hahaha I will never turn down a second bye either! I was mostly thinking about the byes set in the ladder (not byes from another car breaking). I have looked at the ladders quite a bit, and it is possible to set them up so that no racer is eligible for 2 bye runs. I was thinking it might cut down on the ladder games if 2 bye runs are not available.
Hi Allison,

Single elimination ladder structure has to be based on a 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, or 256 ladder. The only way you won't have byes is if the number of contestants is exactly the same as the first round ladder number. I'm very curious to see how it is possible to set up a ladder where no racer is ever eligible for 2 bye runs.
BobOrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
Jim Whitehead

Liked 145 Times in 38 Posts

A competition single and a Bye are two different things. What Alison is saying is that you can change some of the ladders to eliminate the multiple or three byes for a single person at one race.
Jim Whitehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
asmyth1783

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A good example is the NHRA 33-car ladder. In this ladder, the #1 qualifier will get a bye in the first round. If the #1 qualifier is still in, he/she will also be eligible for a bye run in the fifth round.

The attachment "NHRALadder_33Car_alt" shows the 33-car ladder currently being used at NHRA events. The attachment "AltLadder_33car_alt" shows how the 33-car ladder could be setup to prevent this from occurring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AltLadder_33car_alt.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	24843   Click image for larger version

Name:	NHRALadder_33Car_alt.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	24844