HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #21
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,032 Times in 270 Posts
Default Re: Divisional spectator attendance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnca2010 View Post
Run a clock or something.. Having 15 or more minutes between runs grinds things to a halt... At least that is how it seemed today.. Not only myself, but some of my fellow photogs felt the same way.. slowing the show down, unless there is an obvious thing such as an accident or an oil down... Doesn't help keep peoples attention..

You and your fellow photographers evidently do not have a $30,000, 9,000 RPM big block Super Stock engine that requires cooling, fueling, and maintenance between rounds, not to mention charging the batteries.

Honestly, 15 minutes is not enough to even turn the stocker around.

A heads up run will take even longer.

It's about that hard for a fast Super class car as well.

Now, if you want to talk about a little better scheduling and organization, so that the classes can be separated a little and keep the time between passes down some, sure. But punishing expensive equipment is not a viable option.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #22
barnca2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

they defiantly need to do something to keep things moving.. again you cant account for accidents/oil downs whatever... spacing the classes would be nice for all.

https://www.facebook.com/WHEELZUPRADIO
barnca2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #23
nickh

Liked 219 Times in 96 Posts

If they would spend a few extra bucks and bring in some match races with some fuel altereds and some jet cars to fill in sometime to allow everyone to get their equipment cooled down it would go along way...JMO
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #24
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
If they would spend a few extra bucks and bring in some match races with some fuel altereds and some jet cars to fill in sometime to allow everyone to get their equipment cooled down it would go along way...JMO
They already normally have Top Sportsman, Top Dragster, not to mention the slop alcohol drippers (yeah, there are a few Top Alcohol guys who consistently make clean passes, that comment was not directed at you), so they have some cars putting on a "show".

Asking track owners to buy in jet cars and other exhibition stuff is cutting into an already small budget. It's also an expensive band aid, not a real solution. Most people also prefer not to run behind the kerosene foggers. And as soon as the new wears off those exhibition cars, they'll have to buy in something else to take their place.

The solution is a better run show, which will draw both more racers and more spectators. Then promote it better.

Without buying in other acts, they can also put on gambler's races and combo races, they could have Top Stock and Top Super Stock as well.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #25
cudadoug

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL TAYLOR View Post
WOW, 5,000 in the stands? Gotta be a worlds record for a Divisional. Hope it's accurate, most encouraging thing I've heard lately for Sportsman Racing!
Quote from above: Also have jets, nostalgia funny cars and wheelstanders, plus fireworks

There's your 5000 people right there. It is NO WAY from NHRA Sportsman racing believe me!
cudadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #26
Don Whitmore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I was younger (many moons ago), one thing everyone seemed to enjoy (and look forward to) was 'match racing.'

When Bill 'da Grump' Jenkins would come to my local track (Edgewater, Cincy, OH) to race Sox and Martin or when the 'Chi-Town Hustler' would show up to race the 'Blue Max' people would get to the track at 1:00pm in the afternoon, just to see these guys roll-in and set up. I know I did.

Has NHRA handcuffed the pros with so many national events, they can never 'match race' anymore? Would something like this spice-up a Divisional and attract fans?

I know I miss it. Just sayin'....

Don
Don Whitmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #27
Steve Sullivan

Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Several things are hurting attendance.

Sadly, this country no longer has a large car culture as it once had. You'd be surprised how many people working in the offices of major automotive corporations either use public transportation, or ride bicycles to work. That is a horrible thing for the car culture. The car is no longer the source of pride it once was, nor the object of affection. For most, it is merely a conveyance.

The economy has a large effect. One big part of this is how hard different forms of entertainment compete for business. There was a time when the average person could afford to go out to eat, go to a movie, and go watch a couple of days of racing, and not burn his entire paycheck. This is no longer the case.

Finally, much of the group that "leads" our sport, especially with regard to putting on a race and promoting it, are doing a poor job. Our sport is, in most cases, doing a terrible job of competing for the entertainment dollars of potential fans. From lack of promotion and advertising, to poor scheduling, and right down to putting on a weak show, they're doing nothing to give fans a reason to show up. There are a few exceptions, but as a rule, they're just not getting the job done.
Alan you are correct on all three counts. This past weekend's LDRS Points Meet at Columbus was pitiful in it's execution, in the condition of the facility, and the so called "show" that drew about 5 people. It makes it all the more poignant after attending the recent LDRS at Norwalk. I admit Summit Motorsports Park is an anomaly among drag strip facilities. But that doesn't excuse the National Trails staff from grass not being mowed in the pit areas (that get used every year the points meet is held here), pot holes in the middle of return roads deep enough to bend a wheel, or just a general indifference to their CUSTOMERS. The prevailing attitude seems to be "we got the track surface in great shape, what else do you need?" As I said, pitiful.
I found this promo on Norwalk's Facebook page (I think) awhile back.. It speaks volumes of how these folks continue to successfully garner support for their track. Go to their website www.summitmotorsportspark.com and check out the updated version. Sounds like some folks over 55 with race cars are going to have a lot of fun September 27-28th in northern Ohio. Hell, perhaps all of us fossils with Stock/Superstockers should ask for our own eliminator at this race. What say you Mr. Bader? LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FogeyFued.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	24846  
Steve Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #28
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

I love going to the Divisional 1 races, my suggestion since there is no fan except us old timers, why not make it free, charge $10 bucks for parking, and make it on you food and beer sales, where can you go and be entertained all day, see some great action for such a low cost. I was at a Camping KOA where they once had many full-time resident and now they have hardly anyone in their parks, same problem there, overcharging their full-time tenants at $3.500 for the season, instead of lowering their prices and having the place full bringing in income they're wondering what happened? Business 101 if your charge too much for your goods and no ones buys them, it means you're too expensive and not competitive. Why not allow tuners at Divisional's, they would bring a large crowd of young people to the stands, no reason not to have them at this level, just imagine the new blood coming into our sport, forget the Unleash program NHRA tried to institute, it was just window dressing. I talked to Div 1Director Lang about allowing a Showroom stock class at divisional(for new Cars) there's is no new idea coming from Glendora. Remember that Honda Civics are our Camaro's and 55,56,57 Chev of our times so make room for them or our sport will die with us Baby Boomers. Claude Ruel
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #29
official22yrs

Liked 723 Times in 97 Posts

I remember back when I was a drag racing official, we had over 15,000 people show up for our points meet, this was in the late 90's.
Darrell Zimmerman said no way, you'll maybe get a thousand people, if your luck. To have this it was $10,000 plus NHRA gets the gate fees, the drag racer fees...only money you make are from your food sale and gifts.
PS we got them back at there own game....we gave out over 10,000 free tickets, and if they buy a bottle water for a buck...$$$ for us.
official22yrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #30
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

There is no need for more classes at LODRS races.

Have the facility, especially the track, in great shape.

Treat the racers and the spectators like you want to be treated, remember they are paying customers.

Run the program in a well organized, well thought out, orderly fashion.

Charge reasonable prices.

Do a decent job promoting and advertising.

That's it.

It isn't nuclear physics, or brain surgery, it is simply common sense and good business sense.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people want to make this into something it isn't.