HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-23-2014, 01:43 AM   #1
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cool Erica pulls out of Sonoma & Seattle

Saw the article on DRC. Apparently the game plan wasn't to run the complete schedule, so they're heading back home to get ready for the countdown. I know Pro Stock isn't what it used to be, but I still wanted to see that car run up here,, especially if the conditions were going to be favorable for quick runs. Good luck to her and the team,,, I loved the way she spanked Connolly when he rolled in and double bulbed her.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:16 AM   #2
Mike Schwartz

Liked 189 Times in 64 Posts
Default Re: Erica pulls out of Sonoma & Seattle

NHRA sets the rules, and the Elite team is working them to their advantage as a underfunded team. NHRA was so afraid of someone blowing up the points chase before the end of the year that they instituted the Countdown to tighten things up.

Now, once you earned a unshakable spot in it, why continue to spend money to maintain your position? Regroup, test, hunt for sponsors and come back fresh for the last 10 races. I just hope NHRA doesn't institute a mid-season rule change to punish them.
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

I don't like the countdown,it has cost some racers a championship that should have been theirs,if you can dominate the season and have such a lead nobody can catch you you deserve to be champ.

In this case I'm glad someone has found a way to hopefully take advantage of the countdown, Erica has proven herself,she has hung in there and worked at getting good.

Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schwartz View Post
NHRA sets the rules, and the Elite team is working them to their advantage as a underfunded team. NHRA was so afraid of someone blowing up the points chase before the end of the year that they instituted the Countdown to tighten things up.

Now, once you earned a unshakable spot in it, why continue to spend money to maintain your position? Regroup, test, hunt for sponsors and come back fresh for the last 10 races. I just hope NHRA doesn't institute a mid-season rule change to punish them.
Maybe she should continue to race because she's a professional and has a responsibility to her fans to show up and run?

She hasn't run the NorthWest Nationals since she won the race a few years ago. I just can't respect a "Pro" class driver who picks and chooses races to run.

A true Pro racer will campaign an out classed car that qualifies in the bottom of the pack and draws a killer first round matchup but still show for every race on the circuit. Talkin' about Larry Morgan, but you should have guessed that.

We need more ladies in PS. EE can't be the only female gear banger out there. Angie Smith in a door slammer? How about that Swedish gal from PSM?

Dale
Old 07-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
5919 SSKA

Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts

It's the fault of the NHRA Countdown, not EE...or anyone else in the future that will skip a race or two for logistics and budget reasons.

Purses sure as hell are not going up from the Sportsman ranks on up to Pro Classes. Yet, travel costs and cars/parts are. This is a business. Any smart owner can see that if they can get in the NHRA countdown, skip a few race's to save budget...and work on the car's & race's that will count towards an NHRA Championship, that is in the best interest of the Team.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Maybe you would want ton pick up the tab for them running those races? Or, maybe finding them a big sponsor to fund it? Elite Motorsports is not their sponsor. That is the Freeman's, the owners. Working stiffs racing on their own dime, doing their own engines, etc. Am I the only one impressed by that?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,225 Times in 594 Posts

There are a couple of things that are very apparent about Erica's team. First - is what they have accomplished on THEIR OWN DIME. Sure they have some backing, but not nearly enough. Second - why hasn't someone with deep pockets stepped up and backed this team. Look at what they have done and they said that they weren't going to run the whole season. I believe they are as amazed at what they have done as anyone. I truly think that team has what it takes to win the Championship. Look out for the future - GO ERICA and team.

Even Bob Glidden has called her to congratulate her, and he is still the best in my book.

Last edited by Carguy49; 07-23-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Carguy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

I may be a lone detractor here, but I still question her commitment to the Pro level of the sport. She did skip Chicago last year to run someone's Pro Mod (Ricky Smith?} for fun.

People who don't follow entry lists pay high ticket prices to see these top flight drivers and cars and expect them to be in the field. A lot of spectators wouldn't be very happy to fight the traffic and find John Force, Robert Height or Doug Kalitta took the race off because they had a nice point lead.

As it stands now, NHRA can't fill a 16 car PS qualifying field with real qualifying. Can't find 20 competitive cars to fight for those spots on race day so we have the Ford and Pontiac cars being wiped in the first round just to fill the slots. My hat's off to those drivers for just having the nerve to show up at the track against the MOPARS and ELITE motors cars.

She's popular with the fans and has a very strong car but still can't find a consistent full ride sponsor. Why is this? Last year when her car seemed to have a different color scene at every race, any public discussion on ESPN regarding sponsorship seemed to revolve around her saying she needs a sponsor to give her money to keep racing. That's always the bottom line, but a team leader just doesn't say that in public. If I were a potential sponsor I would be looking for a team that would represent my product or service with pride rather than just take my money and run. Lucas Oil backs several racers who don't have winning records because they are individuals that the company wants representing them at the track. I think Erica has a ways to go in this area.

Call me an independent thinker.

Dale
Old 07-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

Read a pro stock thread the other day and a few of the pro stock guys posted on it saying it cost 70,000.00 plus per race to field a car. That's why car counts are down and teams are skipping races. I'm sure that's why Greg Stanfield has missed so many races this year. That's insane how much it costs. I don't know how anyone does it.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
Superfan1
VIP Member

Liked 2,344 Times in 409 Posts
Smile Re: Erica pulls out of Sonoma & Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy49 View Post
There are a couple of things that are very apparent about Erica's team. First - is what they have accomplished on THEIR OWN DIME. Sure they have some backing, but not nearly enough. Second - why hasn't someone with deep pockets stepped up and backed this team. Look at what they have done and they said that they weren't going to run the whole season. I believe they are as amazed at what they have done as anyone. I truly think that team has what it takes to win the Championship. Look out for the future - GO ERICA and team.

Even Bob Glidden has called her to congratulate her, and he is still the best in my book.
X2 - especially the part about Bob Glidden!