HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-13-2023, 02:58 PM   #11
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts
Default Re: '70 Nova V/SA to F/SA Makeover

Any updates or plans for the Nova during the off season ?
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-14-2023, 06:38 PM   #12
Doug Hoven

Liked 752 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
Any updates or plans for the Nova during the off season ?
I have a few things in the works for next season. Took the engine out a few weeks ago and tore it down. Was pleased with the condition of all the parts, and hopefully picking the block up soon after getting a fresh hone for next year. Mostly going back together with fresh rings, bearings, gaskets, valve job,etc. I may try a different camshaft. Taking the stock rods out and replacing them with the Crower rods that I originally installed on the first build, with the exception of a replacement rod. That's about it for the engine. Even though it worked fine, I'm going to take the initiative to give the transmission a once over, maybe try and make some small changes to improve what I have. I'm going to replace the original rear monoleaf springs with a good used set of calvert split-monos. I may change out the comp engineering "slide-a-link" bars for some caltracs, but not sure yet. (side note, at the end of the year I had a 1.43 60ft with the current setup) I might change out the original front springs as well to give the front some more energy. I will probably "spiff up" the brake system as well. Front disks are not really in the budget for this year, but a good freshen up of the drums should make the car a bit nicer to drive.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:51 PM   #13
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: '70 Nova V/SA to F/SA Makeover

Great start on your Nova build. I always like reading about projects and how they evolve with time and use. That 60 foot sounds about awesome. The main thing about this project is how it evolves as you continue to use it. That's the fun thing about this sport.Keep it up and see a lot of Win lights!
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-14-2024, 09:11 AM   #14
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,457 Times in 1,958 Posts

Great progress in such a shot time.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-14-2024, 03:37 PM   #15
Doug Hoven

I've come to learn that sometimes ignorance is bliss. When I "threw" my engine back together in July, it was found that my brand new Eagle crank was off .009 in the middle journal due to the spun rod bearing and all that extra heat and friction. Luckily for me there was a steel GM crank that was recently in an engine that ended up expiring due to other issues. Got some .020 under rod and main bearings, which was difficult in a hurry, and slapped it back together after cleaning the "trash" out of the block the best we could. Well, I decided that I would have the crank balanced before putting it back together this year. Set up the bob weights, and found that the way I was running the crank was 80 grams underbalanced. Funny enough the engine didn't vibrate one bit the way it was. At that point I decided that I wasn't going to put that kind of effort and money in a 50 year old crankshaft, and "sprung" for another cast Eagle crank like I had initially.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:09 AM   #16
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 395 Times in 182 Posts

What made you wanna change from V/SA to F/SA ?
Old 03-08-2024, 12:25 PM   #17
Doug Hoven

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover44 View Post
What made you wanna change from V/SA to F/SA ?
I sort of got bored of it after a while. After driving a few 10 second cars I got the "bug" to go fast. I sort of ran out of patience for the 6 cylinder. I threw everything that I could, almost the kitchen sink, well in this case, the toolbox, and nothing I did really made the car any faster than it was when it was last ran 10+ years prior. Solid lifters, more modern camshaft grind, roller rockers, radial tires, 7in. converter(yea that definitely didn't work). The only thing I achieved that made the car faster was getting some "welfare" from the good people at NHRA. With my "improvements" I managed to run the best mph the car owner had ever seen by a decent margin, but my cam killed the 60ft, so it ended up being no better for ET. One thing I would've liked to try was a 3 speed over the power glide that was in the car. The 2.74 low may have helped gain back the 60ft I lost with my "big" cam. It may find it's way back into the car some day for laughs, but not right now. Would only take a rear tire change and changing around a few wires.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:49 PM   #18
Doug Hoven

Well I've made some headway over the past few weeks. Decided to spend my spring break from school working on my engine. Had some pretty late nights and early mornings, but it got done. In the end, I got it together, it sounded good on the "ear dyno," and ran decent on the engine dyno. I spent the entirety of my Saturday this past weekend "spiffing up" the drum brakes on the car. I was luckily able to find a poor soul about 5 minutes from me, up the road from ETown, that was able to cut my drums for me on short notice. Also taught myself the long lost art of rebuilding a wheel cylinder when one was a little weepy, and couldn't get a new one that day. However, the local Autozone did have a rebuild kit, as well as a reasonably priced wheel cylinder/master cylinder hone. I then spent my Easter morning wiring in a new fuse block to replace the "old school" glass fuses as well as creating a combination water pump/fan switch with a double pole switch and a diode. Hopefully by the end of next weekend I will have a running and driving car and can test all of my new(well some only new to me) parts on the "E.T. dyno."