Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-12-2021, 09:45 PM   #41
Jon Sarrett

Liked 136 Times in 43 Posts
Default Re: Atlanta dragway

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Good point Jim, ...just like the PHOENIX track,...the WRITING is on the wall...even RAY CHARLES saw this coming....$$$$$$ always wins ....
There was never a real Phoenix track but one that is near and dear to me closed a number of years ago. There was a lot of interesting stuff that caused that one to shut down. I don't think Ray saw either Firebird nor Speedworld shutting down, albeit one was resurrected.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:54 PM   #42
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 503 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
Exactly. If Cromwell has a plan other then to keep sucking a salary while he pushes the nose down, I would love to hear it. People with no heart, vision or passion should never ever be put in a position of leadership. Big mistake.
Cromwell is useless......
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:57 AM   #43
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireofficer74 View Post
What I feel is odd, how does a nonprofit sell real estate at a profit?

Then say they are going to reinvest in other real estate that they own.

What ever happened?
It isn’t a problem to do that. It is the lack of any plan that supports drag racing that is alarming to me. There is no doubt that they have tough decisions to make, but as an association, it should be much more transparent to the members what their plan is.

It would be much more reassuring if they simply identified their national event strategy and just stated which markets they were going to focus on and which ones couldn’t make the cut.

If they don’t or feel they can’t manage tracks any longer, so be it. I just don’t think the leadership has any true understanding of their role as leaders of an association.

If they do, they are not following those principles well.

There is no doubt that there are experienced and knowledgeable employees at NHRA that could help them take their blinders off, but the executive leadership must not support an open forum internally.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:06 AM   #44
Nick Heath

Liked 497 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
Exactly. If Cromwell has a plan other then to keep sucking a salary while he pushes the nose down, I would love to hear it. People with no heart, vision or passion should never ever be put in a position of leadership. Big mistake.
Jim, this is one of the best posts of the year. As sad as it is, I think you nailed it, and I couldn't agree more.
Nick Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:51 AM   #45
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

If you look around, there are way too many organizations granted non profit protections. The IRS is so under staffed they can not regulate these folks properly. Another NHRA member and myself looked at this over the years and even hired a lawyer to look at the NHRA. We couldn’t get the IRS interested in doing any kind of investigation or audit, even though the attorney thought they were operating in a manner that violated their non profit charter. When we, the members gave up our voting rights we ceded power to the management. What all these non profits do is pay out their profits to executives in large salaries.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #46
Fireofficer74

Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts

So what do they sell next, Gainesville Dragway to make room for student housing?

Sounds like they are a for profit corporation.

Unless they build a new track in the Atlanta area.

Which isn't happening.

Down here there was thought to sell the union hall, there was a near riot during the meeting over the tax ramifications.

Last edited by Fireofficer74; 04-13-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Fireofficer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:01 PM   #47
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,637 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireofficer74 View Post
So what do they sell next, Gainesville Dragway to make room for student housing?

Sounds like they are a for profit corporation.

Unless they build a new track in the Atlanta area.

Which isn't happening.

Down here there was thought to sell the union hall, there was a near riot during the meeting over the tax ramifications.

Actually they stated that they were going to take some of the revenue from the sale to upgrade Gainesville Raceway. Not sure if that is still the plan. I am sure the execs will pocket a good bit of that money. Its sad that we cant get better management of NHRA
Old 04-13-2021, 12:32 PM   #48
pmrphil

Liked 250 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
Actually they stated that they were going to take some of the revenue from the sale to upgrade Gainesville Raceway. Not sure if that is still the plan. I am sure the execs will pocket a good bit of that money. Its sad that we cant get better management of NHRA
And the key word in the statement is "some". Think about that.
Liked
Old 04-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #49
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts

People need to remember Non-Profit does not mean they cannot make a profit. They have to or they will go out of business just like any organization. They are in their rights to take the money from the sale and invest it back into the organization. They are also allowed to keep a fund/carry over money for the future.
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:18 PM   #50
matt82114

Liked 117 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by novassdude View Post
People need to remember Non-Profit does not mean they cannot make a profit. They have to or they will go out of business just like any organization. They are in their rights to take the money from the sale and invest it back into the organization. They are also allowed to keep a fund/carry over money for the future.
Bingo. It's a business, not a charity. NHRA cut a lot of staff in 2020. Per Glen on a conference call, all the execs took a pay cut. Now what that means is not my business. I'm just happy to race.

It's also 1 track gone. A track that is costing more money than it's generating year after year. There's a very good chance NHRA will announce new tracks to host National events in 2022 or 2023.
Calm down. Change is OK. It's not the end of the world. See you in Atlanta.

Matt Hanley
Car Chief
Leverich Racing Top Fuel Dragster
matt82114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked