HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-26-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
SlickVic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Goodyear tires in 2008

Heard from a district manager of a tire company, not goodyear, that NHRA is banning goodyear tires in 2008 because of John Force's crash. Seems far fetched to me. Anyone else hear or know of this? Not trying to spread rumors either, just need new tires soon and i don't want to buy goodyears if i can't run them.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
DaveParker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Goodyear tires in 2008

That wouldn't be cool!
Old 10-26-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
Nitro Joe Jackson
VIP Member

Location: Loudonville, Ohio or where ever the Nitro Lounge is parked
Liked 66 Times in 18 Posts
Default Re: Goodyear tires in 2008

no if tire companys was smart they would make NHRA & IHRA take away down force from the nitro cars or tell them to find there own tire company to supply the nitro teams.

The down force is what is blowing these tires.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 250 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickVic View Post
Heard from a district manager of a tire company, not goodyear, that NHRA is banning goodyear tires in 2008 because of John Force's crash. Seems far fetched to me. Anyone else hear or know of this? Not trying to spread rumors either, just need new tires soon and i don't want to buy goodyears if i can't run them.

Sounds like NASCAR that blamed a seat belt breaking for Dale's death.
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
thumbprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to thumbprint
Cool Re: Goodyear tires in 2008

Wow, Thats just more money for Hoosier, most SPORTSMAN run them already. Maybe just what G/Y needs to be shakin' up. Just my opinion.
thumbprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
SlickVic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would love to try some hoosiers but they won't fit. Side walls stick out too far and i would cut them wide open in the burnout. Ran phoenix at first but just like the good years better. Heard firestone has some new tires coming out.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
Sean Ward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Sean Ward

no one but goodyear makes tires for nitro cars
Sean Ward NHRA s/ss/comp#2882
SW4 MOTORSPORTS
Sean Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Ward View Post
no one but goodyear makes tires for nitro cars
Exactly, and that's exactly why this is not true. If NHRA is concerned about safety, there's no way that they're going to ban the ONLY manufacturer that currently makes tires for the fuel cars for another manufacturer that has NO experience making tires for the fuel cars.

I personally don't run Goodyears, so I wouldn't care one way or the other, but over the years NHRA has had a very close working relationship with Goodyear, so if anything is going to change with the tires NHRA allows, I'm sure Goodyear will have the right of first refusal (I'm sure the other tire manufacturers reps can tell you how frustrating that has been for them!)

Now, all that said, that doesn't mean that Goodyear won't pull out of making drag racing tires in 2008. I don't think that's likely either, but nobody can force Goodyear to make tires for drag racing. So, if senior management at Goodyear decides that making drag racing tires isn't worth their investment (e.g. they feel they get a better return making racing tires for NASCAR), then bye-bye Goodyear drag tires. But again, given Goodyear's involvement in drag racing over the years, that seems unlikely to me.

On a slightly different but related note, for those of you that never tried Mickey Thompson tires, they're worth a try. I ran Goodyears for many, many years, and then one day got a smoking deal on a set of M/Ts. Now, unless there are extenuating circumstances, I'll only run M/Ts or Hoosiers. I had to cut my wheelie bars to fit the sidewall of the Hoosiers (funny thing is that I was forced into buying the Hoosiers because I needed tires, M/T wasn't at the track, and Goodyear didn't have any 14x32s on the truck), but the M/Ts fit just as well as the Goodyears.

What I like about the M/Ts (and the Hoosiers) is that I found them to be much more consistent over their lifetime. Where with the Goodyears I would get 40 great runs, and then 40 decent runs, and then 20 - 40 mediocre runs (if I stretched them that far), with the M/Ts (and the Hoosiers) I got 150 good runs. I was literally running my M/Ts on cords, and my 60' times were just as good as they were when they were brand new (seriously...I looked at my log book because I was sure that running them on cords had to be costing me E.T., but it wasn't.) Now, I don't run a real high HP combo, so I won't say that everyone would get the same results, but I was sold.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #9
thumbprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to thumbprint
Cool Re: Goodyear tires in 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Oldfield View Post
Exactly, and that's exactly why this is not true. If NHRA is concerned about safety, there's no way that they're going to ban the ONLY manufacturer that currently makes tires for the fuel cars for another manufacturer that has NO experience making tires for the fuel cars.

I personally don't run Goodyears, so I wouldn't care one way or the other, but over the years NHRA has had a very close working relationship with Goodyear, so if anything is going to change with the tires NHRA allows, I'm sure Goodyear will have the right of first refusal (I'm sure the other tire manufacturers reps can tell you how frustrating that has been for them!)

Now, all that said, that doesn't mean that Goodyear won't pull out of making drag racing tires in 2008. I don't think that's likely either, but nobody can force Goodyear to make tires for drag racing. So, if senior management at Goodyear decides that making drag racing tires isn't worth their investment (e.g. they feel they get a better return making racing tires for NASCAR), then bye-bye Goodyear drag tires. But again, given Goodyear's involvement in drag racing over the years, that seems unlikely to me.

On a slightly different but related note, for those of you that never tried Mickey Thompson tires, they're worth a try. I ran Goodyears for many, many years, and then one day got a smoking deal on a set of M/Ts. Now, unless there are extenuating circumstances, I'll only run M/Ts or Hoosiers. I had to cut my wheelie bars to fit the sidewall of the Hoosiers (funny thing is that I was forced into buying the Hoosiers because I needed tires, M/T wasn't at the track, and Goodyear didn't have any 14x32s on the truck), but the M/Ts fit just as well as the Goodyears.

What I like about the M/Ts (and the Hoosiers) is that I found them to be much more consistent over their lifetime. Where with the Goodyears I would get 40 great runs, and then 40 decent runs, and then 20 - 40 mediocre runs (if I stretched them that far), with the M/Ts (and the Hoosiers) I got 150 good runs. I was literally running my M/Ts on cords, and my 60' times were just as good as they were when they were brand new (seriously...I looked at my log book because I was sure that running them on cords had to be costing me E.T., but it wasn't.) Now, I don't run a real high HP combo, so I won't say that everyone would get the same results, but I was sold.

As it gets colder seems your fingers work better Jason. lol
thumbprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

LOL...Sorry...I guess I was bored last night...