HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 08-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #21
hookdaddy

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have a shift finger for Jerico?

Mondays a holiday so Jericho don't ship til Tuesday. Just in the interest of accuracy
hookdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #22
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,449 Times in 420 Posts

I've taken all the shift fingers I currently have, as well as the brand new one I just received from Jerico, and my machinist and I did two dye penetrant tests on them and they ALL have cracks, even the brand new one. Evidence of cracks at the bottom base and 1mm up in the flat (where mine keep breaking). These pieces are not being made right from the factory. My machinist believes the heat treat process is not being performed correctly. I am going to have some made out of 4340 steel rather than 8620 and they will hopefully never break again.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #23
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Question Re: Anyone have a shift finger for Jerico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
I've taken all the shift fingers I currently have, as well as the brand new one I just received from Jerico, and my machinist and I did two dye penetrant tests on them and they ALL have cracks, even the brand new one. Evidence of cracks at the bottom base and 1mm up in the flat (where mine keep breaking). These pieces are not being made right from the factory. My machinist believes the heat treat process is not being performed correctly. I am going to have some made out of 4340 steel rather than 8620 and they will hopefully never break again.
Bobby, when my father bought his Jerico 3speed (for a 265 chevy) several years ago. He broke the 3-4 arm off the trans with about 15 runs on it. We thought it was a freak think, this happened at a points race. He bought 2 more arms so he had a spare. Broke it again with about another 10 runs, at a points race again. So we replaced it and went on. I looked at both broken arms and you could see the imperfection in the castings at the point of failure. We spoke with Jerico and at the time he was unaware of it but he wanted to see them. So we sent them back to him. That was that. We thought we were the only ones to have this problem? Guess not. Sorry it is happening to you. Hang in there.

Robert
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #24
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Damn I broke this 3-4 shift finger for the third time in a year. 30 runs on the last one and now this one was on the 17th run.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #25
tony5022

Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts

Hey Bobby,
I broke two in 6 runs at Kearney a couple weeks ago. Scott from Jerico told me that I had to have a bronze bushing or a bushing machined to hold the finger tight again or will keep breaking. I wont be able to test until next year but that is the plan for me right now.

Tony Hernandez
tony5022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #26
CWhitney

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

What parts are you guys braking? Shift fork? Shift finger that actuates the fork? Just curious maybe I should get one of these for the trailer for a spare.
CWhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #27
JHeath

Liked 370 Times in 102 Posts

what is this bronze bushing nonsense?
JHeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #28
mike withers

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Smile Re: Anyone have a shift finger for Jerico?

I also have had problems with Jerico shift fingers. Just has you experienced the crack starts at flat area and metal has a real grainy look(casting). I still have one of their early units and I never broke one in that tranny but have broken two in new unit even with a stop on shifter. Several other jerico users have experienced same problem. There is a quality control isssue.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #29
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWhitney View Post
What parts are you guys braking? Shift fork? Shift finger that actuates the fork? Just curious maybe I should get one of these for the trailer for a spare.
The shift finger, it is what the shift arm straddles on the outside of the case. It is threaded on the outside and it goes from the outside of the case, through the case, and activates the shift fork. I seem to break the 3-4 finger alot. This finger has the most force on it because of the length of the shifter multiplied by the length of the lever (3-4 lever being the longest) must be the most torque on it. They never suggested a bronze bushing to me, they just said to use the clutch to shift.. sure thing buddy.. I miss my nash (three years of trying to break that thing and I couldn't).
Old 11-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #30
Ernie Neal

Liked 301 Times in 73 Posts
Default Jerico finger update needed

My son (David) broke one 3-4 going to 4th in the semi's at the Door Slammers. After looking at our fatiqued finger, seems to me it needs a fillet at the base of the thread where Jerico milled it nice and square (no fillet). Everyone knows that a square cut creates a stress riser. I never broke one but I used the clutch pedal, my son does not.
Jerico, probably not change their process, but maybe the next guy can suggest it being looked into. Of course the shift lever will have to be chamfered to accommodate the fillet. As far as the bronze bushing, my case it real tight almost can't turn the new one once it's installed.

Bobby, If you make your own, you may want to consider this also. You may have customers.

Ernie Neal
SS 354
Ernie Neal is offline   Reply With Quote