Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default question for welders

The setup;

it is any day of the week. I ready the MIG welder setup and begin to weld. The work goes beautifully, welder setup sounds perfect, weld is laying and penetrating like text book. I can easily see the process and moves along just as expected.

Later I pickup the TIG torch and even though my TIG experience is limited it also goes nicely. Bead looks good, heat signature looks just right.

The MIG machine is a Miller 185 about 15 years old but in excellent condition. I run .030 wire with 75/25 argon co2 mix.

The TIG is a new Miller Dynasty 200 DX with straight argon.

Now, fast forward two days, the machines are set exactly the same, nothing about the machines or setup has been touched.

And I am welding very poorly, MIG is sputtering, burning through, bead stacking up too high, whew, awful sounding and looking. Same with the TIG, looks awful, Tungsten balling up, burning through, etc.

So, my question; it is reasonable to assume the only thing changed is the operator [me] Why does this happen? Do some of you have such an experience?

I have learned that when this happens just forget about welding for the day and do something else. After a few days I can try again and all will work fine.

If I earned my living as a welder I would starve! My welding is personal race car work only.

Any ideas to improve my bad days?
Old 10-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,043 Times in 274 Posts
Default Re: question for welders

Yeah. There's a book sold by most book stores that have an automotive section, it's from HP Books, the author is Richard Finch, I think the current edition is called "High Performance Welding". Buy it, read it, follow it. I don't think I've run up against a welding problem that the book does not provide a solution for.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Dragsinger
VIP Member

if you have had a day at the track when you could do no wrong and everything just feel in place, then the next outing at the same track in the same unchanged car you make every mistake possible, them you understand about my welding issue.

I has been suggested a draft may be upsetting the shielding gas, I will be more sensitive to that possibility.

Bottom line, I "think" some days I simply am not in the proper mind set. However, I understand a full time welder could not allow such wavering of ability. This is my confusion.

It may simply be lack of experience not being able to recognize the problem and compensate for it.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,043 Times in 274 Posts

Health and age can be a problem, not sure how it applies to you.

I know at 51, some days I feel and see better than others. I don't see real changes in my performance at work, other than needing my reading glasses more. But I can see where I could.

If you have high blood pressure, diabetes, or other problems, it can make a big difference. So can your over all mental and physical state.

Welding requires fine motor skills, excellent hand to eye coordination, and clear thinking. Anything that has even a small effect on any of those can have a big effect on welding.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Alan, you may be very close to the root cause. I am 67 and overweight. In addition, my eyesight is a challenge. I have a set of special "up close" glasses I use when welding.

Not being able to clearly see the work may be my biggest issue. I will experiment with better lighting.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
Dragsinger
VIP Member

my original comment was, "what is changing between a good day welding to a day of poor performance"

I think the machines are not changing.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

Gas flow and draft at the shop, mig tips (condition), wire quality and speed, clean filler rod, tungsten diameter and grind...........clean metal, helmet darkness and distance of torch from work.

I know that most of that is obvious, but I've been welding more these days also, and have come to realize that it all matters........especially the last three.

My eye's aren't what they used to be, and I now need reading glasses. I've had to adjust back the darkness on my helmet which scares the hell out me. I've also had to pay special attention to torch distance while keeping the puddle moving at the right speed.

If my welding is poor on any given day, I stop, check everything, re-clean, change amperage and try again on scrap until I get it right.

Keep going, and keep up the good work. Cool build.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the same type of problems and it turned out to be the power coming to the property. At times I found the voltage down to 190volts. It cost me a tv. The PUD ran about 1/2 mile of new wires and poles and put the transformer across the street from me and bought me a new tv. Problems fixed.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
Dragsinger
VIP Member

thinking back the comment about oily/dirty may be my trouble. The tube that gave me trouble was oily and I only did a quick wipe. I will clean and retry.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Keep going, and keep up the good work. Cool build.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank You, I am having fun and it frustrates me when me work does not look good. And even more important if strength may be compromised.