HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #21
TOSTO RACING

Liked 477 Times in 139 Posts
Default Re: What class is my 98 LT1 FBird?

I was also wondering about classes as I see it the only year you can run an ss camaro is 99?? I wonder why that is?

They made them 98 to 02??

I'll be running C/S this year this year and can't wait!!

Last edited by TOSTO RACING; 12-13-2007 at 08:32 PM.
TOSTO RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #22
Woodro Josey

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Jack, in 1998 i never thought there would be an issue or i would have gotten one!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:41 PM   #23
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodro Josey View Post
Jack for those that did not read my post a while back. There was some 98 Firebirds up at the proving ground with LT1 engines, i know, i was there and saw them with my own eyes, There was 6 of them testing because i tried to get one, and i had to build my own!
Woodro is correct...there were always many strange prototype cars at the proving grounds. Many of these cars were available for sale to the public or given to racers after they got flogged to death. If you lived in Arizona and went to Firebird on Wednesday evenings, many times you could see prototype GM or Chrysler cars at the track getting flogged by engineers.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:46 AM   #24
Evan Smith

Liked 94 Times in 4 Posts

Ed,

I've never seen an aluminum spool or gun-drilled axles with scalloped flanges from the factory either, but I bet most fast Stockers have them. So, it's OK to seriously lighten all the parts that spin, thus reducing rotating weight and improving performance, and it's OK to build your own housing with any axle tubes you want, or to whatever length you want (just look at some cars and you see what I'm talking about), get real?

Robert,

My post was not meant to discredit your car, only to point out the facts. I don't really care either way, I'm just tired of Hawk taking heat for his combbination when there are dozens of cars with stuff that wasn't even close to being available from the factory.

Woody,

I've been to the Ford proving grounds many times and seen wild combinations of cars and trucks, one being a Ford GT engine (550 HP V8) in an F-250, but that doesn't make it legal to run one in Stock. We also tested a '92 Camaro with all the '93 equipment. It was a Chevrolet prototype and we had it at our office for evaluation.

Evan
Old 12-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #25
Robert Pare Racing

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

It's all cool man, I was speaking generally, as in, I'm not even a mechanically inclined kinda of racer. It really could have a Ford engine in it, and I might not know the difference. I'm just a bracket racer trying to figure out what class this thing is in, so I don't show up one day looking like an idiot.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #26
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Smith View Post
Ed,

I've never seen an aluminum spool or gun-drilled axles with scalloped flanges from the factory either, but I bet most fast Stockers have them. So, it's OK to seriously lighten all the parts that spin, thus reducing rotating weight and improving performance, and it's OK to build your own housing with any axle tubes you want, or to whatever length you want (just look at some cars and you see what I'm talking about), get real?

Robert,

My post was not meant to discredit your car, only to point out the facts. I don't really care either way, I'm just tired of Hawk taking heat for his combbination when there are dozens of cars with stuff that wasn't even close to being available from the factory.

Woody,

I've been to the Ford proving grounds many times and seen wild combinations of cars and trucks, one being a Ford GT engine (550 HP V8) in an F-250, but that doesn't make it legal to run one in Stock. We also tested a '92 Camaro with all the '93 equipment. It was a Chevrolet prototype and we had it at our office for evaluation.

Evan
Evan, you are right in regards the rear end and people taking shots at Hawk. My opinion is that if the combination is in the books, NHRA has accepted the combination and deemed it legal. Contrary to the old days that you had to buy all the spec sheets, nowadays, everything is online.

In lieu of spending lots of time typing slander and slamming others on this forum, they should spend the time looking at the different combinations available like others do and taking advantage of what is available ... or ... writing to NHRA.

The problem is that there are many that want to race in the class, not spend the money or effort and go fast. Going fast requires being smart on the combination you pick, putting the hard work and effort, and spending $$$.

The reality is that there are so many combinations that have been flogged to death and if you want to race iwth these combinations, you need to spend the money. Example: 1968-1970 BBC Camaro and Novas, LT1 and LS1 Camaros and Firebirds, 1969-1971 Mopar 440-6, and many others.

That is why you have to give kudos to guys like Bob, Neil Smedley, Mark Yacavone and others that are great on picking overlooked car combinations, building them, going fast and getting other people's feathers ruffled up!!! ...and they still get bitched at too...
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #27
Woodro Josey

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Evan, you know as well as i do, it's all about paper work! Bill Hawk proved that several years ago, and congrats to him!