cooler in a stock eliminator car. Why shouldn't we use one? Thank
you in advance.
Bob H/SA
DIV3CR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
Woodfin

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts
Default Re: TH350 trans cooler

In my opinion and experience, there is nothing wrong, no harm done by having a trans cooler.

Again, in my opinion and experience, the harm happens with an overheated trans in the late rounds.

This feedback comes for many years of bracket racing and winning the final where the last 3 or so rounds come quickly.

I continue to say "in my experience" deal is, I always expect to be in the final and have equipment that can do so.

Consider Jeff Verdi who won the Vegas Million with a door car, I figger that car has a trans cooler.

OK, OK, rant over, sorry, no offence meant and I hope none taken. If there is a solid, documented reason not to have a trans cooler I will eat crow.

Yet will continue to have a trans cooler
Woodfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #3
Dave Gantz

Liked 219 Times in 114 Posts

My partner and I couldn't agree on whether or not to use a cooler on our 727. We compromised by using a deep pan with cooling tubes (air) running fore and aft in it. Like this one, but I can't remember exactly. It was 20 years ago. http://www.parrautomotive.com/index....302/prd302.htm
We never burned it up, and went a few rounds a few times. (Dialing seemed not to be affected by heat.) Who knows if it was effective?
Someone just mentioned on here somewhere about ATF temp affecting stall speed. Never thought about that one. Interesting.

Last edited by Dave Gantz; 07-22-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
Eman

Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts

I don't run a stocker, but I've always run a cooler on my bracket car. On a stocker maybe eliminate it for weight savings. I run a large B&M cooler and used teflon lined steel braided 6AN hoses. I took the last trans out after 15 years of abuse. Never had a problem, just went to a Trans brake unit I had. Some years 250+ passes changing the fluid and filter every year. I'll keep using a cooler.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #5
njk53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually, an auxiliary transmission oil cooler really isn't needed. We run an in-radiator tank transmission cooler in our stocker for one reason. The engine will reject heat into the cooling system much faster than the transmission will into an auxiliary cooler by itself. That being said, the transmission will heat up to operating temperature much faster because the water/coolant from the engine washes over the in tank cooler heating the transmission oil faster. Also, if the situation were ever to occur that the need for a cooler is required, the in-tank transmission oil cooler is a more efficient cooler than an auxiliary type.