HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 11-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
Ron Gusack

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Drum Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mulry View Post
The primary or leading shoe is the shorter shoe and the secondary or trailing shoe is the longer shoe.........
You're right Bob not sure how I did that. I'm thinking 4 longer shoes on the rear.
Ron Gusack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts

I've had good luck with Muscle Car Brakes. They offer a "Brakes-in-a-box" kit for most pre-72 GM, Ford and Mopar vehicles.

http://www.musclecarbrakes.com/index.html

I installed them on my Belair 'wagon with new aftermarket HD drums and have had no issues with staging or stopping.

Lew
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
Mark Lewis

Liked 183 Times in 37 Posts

get the rears lined with a material used for forklifts, I beleive the material was ab or something to that affect. Use on rear and they will hold as well as disc.
Mark
Mark Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
rallye bob

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Silverman View Post
I've had good luck with Muscle Car Brakes. They offer a "Brakes-in-a-box" kit for most pre-72 GM, Ford and Mopar vehicles.

http://www.musclecarbrakes.com/index.html

I installed them on my Belair 'wagon with new aftermarket HD drums and have had no issues with staging or stopping.

Lew
I also use these on my rear drum brakes. I think this is the co. that njk53 was eluding to, in his post........
They work fine for me.........
rallye bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #15
rustang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember one time looking at a company called Praise Dyno Brake that alot of drum brake racers were using. I think they were kevlar or something?

They were pricey but there were guys running deep nines with them with confidence.
rustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:10 AM   #16
rallye bob

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustang View Post
I remember one time looking at a company called Praise Dyno Brake that alot of drum brake racers were using. I think they were kevlar or something?

They were pricey but there were guys running deep nines with them with confidence.
Praise Dyno Brake and Muscle Car Brakes, "Brakes-in-a-box" are one and the same.....
rallye bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #17
Lyn Smith
VIP Member

Liked 841 Times in 156 Posts
Default Re: Praise dyno brakes beware!!!!!

PM me if you are thinking about buying Praise dyno- muscle car brakes.some of us have had problems with their stuff!!
Lyn Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #18
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts
Default Re: Praise dyno brakes beware!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn Smith View Post
PM me if you are thinking about buying Praise dyno- muscle car brakes.some of us have had problems with their stuff!!

X2
That stuff is junk, and the hardware is repackaged autoparts store stuff. I had issues with the shoes cracking. I called up and they told me they were for easy street driving, not racing!! On top of all of that, the stoping power was not as good. I was not happy with my experience using that stuff at all
A very good racer told me that if you buy brand new GM shoes ( for GM cars) and have good uncut drums. ( minimum diameter ) you will have the best holding and stoping power possible out of drums.
My father in law, who was a junior stk racer and super stock racer told me about using brakes made from sintered iron. I have never seen those for sale
Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #19
Dave1695

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Check out Stainless Steel Brake Corp. "ssbrakes.com", they make four piston competition disc brake kits for the early muscle cars. I though drum front brakrs were the only way to get my Stocker to stage properly; changed my mind after installing one of their kit and saved 4 pounds over the OEM drums. Just my two cents!
Dave1695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #20
Dinsdale

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run to Rund View Post
I had good luck with premium ABEX organic linings on stock shoes from Ott's Friction Supply in Oregon, contact:
john andreotti <andreotti@ottsfrictionsupply.com>

I also have a set of the Velvetouch linings I bought 30-some years ago, but they don't work so well until heated up, so the line lock doesn't do much. . .
Had the same problem. Bought several different sets of top qualty shoes and the car wouldn't saty in the burnout box. Finally realized the shoes didn't get hot enough to hold. Have some cheap (look like cardboard) shoes on now and they work fine but fortunately I don run at any real short tracks. Never thought about using 2 larger shoes but might give that a try.