Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 07-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #11
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts
Default Re: Turbo 350 or 400 trans cooler lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinchips View Post
Is a cooler necessary in a glide bracket car?
I would, especially valuable in the later rounds to protect trans.
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:46 AM   #12
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,628 Times in 502 Posts

Most in stock and Super stock don't use them is they are not effective. The cooler is used for such a short time during the run. The cooler only works when the engine is running and you have fluid circulating through the cooler and air running over the finned surface. Most run a deep pan with larger volume of oil. I have a powerglide and have never used a cooler. Never an issue with the trans from temp related issues. A few years ago we had a double race at an IHRA open. I won the first race and went to the final in the second race plus a couple of qualifying passes. No issues with the trans that day. The car was dead on consistent all day.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #13
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

I could never fully fathom the theory of a deep pan myself. Just a larger volume of fluid that once hot, remains hot...probably takes a tad longer to get hot is all.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #14
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

The reason for a factory deep pan is to provide a greater volume for the oil to expand in to . The factory dipstick is re-calibrated so the fill volume is the same . This is done mostly for trucks, where the trans temperature runs hotter . If you put a deep pan on the trans, and use a dipstick for a shallow pan , you will have extra oil in the trans and when it gets hot , it will expand up into the rotating parts . This will cause the oil to get whipped up into what will almost look like a milkshake , and cause all kinds of problems , like oil to come out the breather . If you run a deeper pan it there to get the oil away from the rotating parts .
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #15
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3011 View Post
The reason for a factory deep pan is to provide a greater volume for the oil to expand in to . The factory dipstick is re-calibrated so the fill volume is the same . This is done mostly for trucks, where the trans temperature runs hotter . If you put a deep pan on the trans, and use a dipstick for a shallow pan , you will have extra oil in the trans and when it gets hot , it will expand up into the rotating parts . This will cause the oil to get whipped up into what will almost look like a milkshake , and cause all kinds of problems , like oil to come out the breather . If you run a deeper pan it there to get the oil away from the rotating parts .
I run mine where I can just see the fluid on the tip of the stick. I also have a finned pan that helps radiate some of the heat away. On a hot day you can put a fan to blow air under the car and across the fins to help a bit with cooling.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #16
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Maybe I'm just hard headed, but most of that just doesnt make sense to me. Regardless of how much fluid you carry it will eventually get hot...a few extra quarts would just extend that time a bit. As far as keeping the level away from rotating parts...what parts? Half of the fluid is held in circuits anyway. I would love someone to explain exactly why there is a benefit to running a deeper transmission pan.

Thus far the only logical reason for a deeper pan I have heard to date is to keep the filter submerged during hard accelleration...not sure how big a problem that is with factory depth pans.

Another oddity...here is a TCI pan that doesnt even allow a longer filter/spacers -

Last edited by HandOverFist; 07-25-2016 at 02:12 PM.
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #17
Lou Jeffery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Maybe I'm just hard headed, but most of that just doesnt make sense to me. Regardless of how much fluid you carry it will eventually get hot...a few extra quarts would just extend that time a bit. As far as keeping the level away from rotating parts...what parts? Half of the fluid is held in circuits anyway. I would love someone to explain exactly why there is a benefit to running a deeper transmission pan.

Thus far the only logical reason for a deeper pan I have heard to date is to keep the filter submerged during hard accelleration...not sure how big a problem that is with factory depth pans.

Another oddity...here is a TCI pan that doesnt even allow a longer filter/spacers -

I think ss3011 gave a clear reason for a deep pan. If you can imagine the input shaft and the output shaft of your transmission they both rotate on the centerline or axis. All parts attached to either of those rotate with little clearance to the housing at near engine speed. If the fluid expands into their area it causes a pumping action which hurts efficiency and aerates the fluid. Aerated fluid does not cool well and the air bubbles are compressible causing pump inefficiency. Deep pans that are aluminum castings can also add some rigidness to the housing.
Lou Jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:35 PM   #18
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Jeffery View Post
I think ss3011 gave a clear reason for a deep pan. If you can imagine the input shaft and the output shaft of your transmission they both rotate on the centerline or axis. All parts attached to either of those rotate with little clearance to the housing at near engine speed. If the fluid expands into their area it causes a pumping action which hurts efficiency and aerates the fluid. Aerated fluid does not cool well and the air bubbles are compressible causing pump inefficiency. Deep pans that are aluminum castings can also add some rigidness to the housing.
If that be true why did the transmission manufacturer's not envision that scenario? Also, why do many cars on the track not using deep pans not have complaints? Do you believe our transmissions get hotter than say those towing on the road or everyday use?

Last edited by HandOverFist; 07-25-2016 at 02:37 PM.
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #19
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

One advantage to the cast aluminum pan is the pan rail is much more ridged and you will get a better seal at the gasket than an old stamped steel pan. The deep pans that I have bought all came with the filter extension to get the filter into the bottom of the pan. Its not a huge advantage but not a bad way to go if you need a new pan.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:20 PM   #20
Lou Jeffery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When considering why a manufacturer does or does not do something you have to consider the time frame. Aluminum Powerglides were built from 1963 - 1973 when efficiency was not high on the list, Along with most popular three speed automatics. All modern automatic transmissions use deeper pans or a dry sump system to improve fuel economy. If you want to take advantage of some efficiency great! If not that is great too.
Lou Jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote