HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #11
henrys57wagon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: no oil at roller rockers

Thanks all, he has not pulled the engine yet, will update when more is found.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #12
carl hinkson

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
It's not a Bowtie block, is it? Because with those, engine builders have been known to forget to reinstall the galley plug that feeds the cam tunnel, which causes seemingly unexplained, but repeated (until you figure it out) cam bearing and lifter failures, due to lack of oil. Obviously, if the camshaft isn't getting any oil, the pushrods and rocker arms won't, either.
What galley plug are talking about that feeds the cam tunnel ???
carl hinkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #13
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

It's actually a small cup plug (on early Bowties I think it was .500 in diameter, on later blocks, .470. It is pressed in, and is under the rear main. I had an almost season-long problem failing cam bearings and lifters because the engine machinist removed the plug (to bottle-brush the oil galleys) and forgot to reinstall it. There was very little oil going up-top, and invariably, at least one of the cam bearings would turn. Finally got to the point where I said "No more bearings and camshafts and lifters, because it can't possibly be bad or improperly installed parts...again". We did a deep-dive for weird, uncommon problems and somebody who had experienced the same thing straight-out said "Your engine guy removed the plug and forgot to reinstall it".
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #14
nhramnl

Forgot to mention: it's there because having the plug in allows a wet-sump system to function properly. If you use a dry-sump system, you're supposed to leave it out.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:57 PM   #15
carl hinkson

Quote:
It's actually a small cup plug (on early Bowties I think it was .500 in diameter, on later blocks, .470. It is pressed in, and is under the rear main. I had an almost season-long problem failing cam bearings and lifters because the engine machinist removed the plug (to bottle-brush the oil galleys) and forgot to reinstall it. There was very little oil going up-top, and invariably, at least one of the cam bearings would turn. Finally got to the point where I said "No more bearings and camshafts and lifters, because it can't possibly be bad or improperly installed parts...again". We did a deep-dive for weird, uncommon problems and somebody who had experienced the same thing straight-out said "Your engine guy removed the plug and forgot to reinstall it".

You really should look and see how the oiling system works on a SBC if that plug is left out under the rear main cap once the oil filter is full the oil goes the path of less resistance and will by pass the filter.

Here is a thread to verify what I am saying.
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0

Here is a pic of what I am talking about. Its a good idea know what your talking about before posting like that!!

Old 06-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #16
Randall Klein

Liked 317 Times in 66 Posts

Allen Sherman's response was our problem once, cut a groove in lifter body and solved issue....used a Dremel tool and small cutting disk
Randall Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #17
nhramnl

Carl - Let me help you with a couple of things. First, I assume you do some kind of engine work for a living (or at least, as a sideline). If that is so, you should really learn that when a customer or fellow enthusiast tries to help others, but provides incorrect information, you gain absolutely nothing by being an asshole. Second, the information I posted was given to me by a noted (your would recognize his name instantly) race engine builder, so in addition to being so proud that you were able to correct John Lingenfelter (who was also apparently wrong about what happens when the plug is removed and not replaced), you could add this prestigious name to the list... that is, if like you, I was enough of a jerk to embarrass him publicly. And finally, if the plug being left out has absolutely no effect on the life of cam bearings, what do you suppose the engine builder to which I refer ACTUALLY did to eliminate the repeat bearing failure problem? He admitted that he discovered that the plug had been removed and not reinstalled, apologized for the error, and reassembled and dyno'ed the engine at no cost. And I never experienced a cam bearing failure again. So, if you can avoid telling me what an idiot I am, maybe you can help me understand what actually happened. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #18
henrys57wagon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a stock Chevy so I don't know about the plug. Sorry to start a post and have people pissed off at each other.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:43 AM   #19
carl hinkson

Quote:
Carl - Let me help you with a couple of things. First, I assume you do some kind of engine work for a living (or at least, as a sideline). If that is so, you should really learn that when a customer or fellow enthusiast tries to help others, but provides incorrect information, you gain absolutely nothing by being an asshole. Second, the information I posted was given to me by a noted (your would recognize his name instantly) race engine builder, so in addition to being so proud that you were able to correct John Lingenfelter (who was also apparently wrong about what happens when the plug is removed and not replaced), you could add this prestigious name to the list... that is, if like you, I was enough of a jerk to embarrass him publicly. And finally, if the plug being left out has absolutely no effect on the life of cam bearings, what do you suppose the engine builder to which I refer ACTUALLY did to eliminate the repeat bearing failure problem? He admitted that he discovered that the plug had been removed and not reinstalled, apologized for the error, and reassembled and dyno'ed the engine at no cost. And I never experienced a cam bearing failure again. So, if you can avoid telling me what an idiot I am, maybe you can help me understand what actually happened. Thanks.
I never said you were an idiot if I did could you please quote that statement as I am not seeing it !!!!!! If I did I will apologize !!!!

I don't do this as a side line I build racing engines for a living for 40 plus years and a complete machine shop including a HAAS 4-axis CNC machining center. Over the years I have had alot of Championship engines and engines that have set National and World records.

MAY I ASK WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING ?????????????????????

As far as assholes go you may want to look in the mirror LOL. I am not the one who posted bogus info here it was you LOL

Once again if you know how the GM oil system works you would realize you don't have a clue what your talking about. Leaving the plug out from under the will just cause unfiltered oil to go through the engine. There is no restriction at all.

I will say GM OEM blocks do have issues with cam tunnels I see it all the time there is a reason GM line bores the cam tunnel with cam bearings in place to make up for there mistakes.

Other issues I have seen is guys will use stock cam bearings where a performance cam bearing should be and most guys don't know the difference.

Don't believe all you hear and read !!! Here is a quote from Mike Lewis and a great guy!!

Quote:
And a great thought it is, been down this road a few times myself :lol:
No disrespect to the late great John Lingenfelter but to me this is another one of those things conjured up without thinking about what is going on & stuck in a book or magazine,,
It gets repeated a zillion time by other magazines, the internet, even GM I believe,,, & becomes "fact"
The only fact about it in my mind is the fact that folks need to stop & think about the information they share before repeating it
There is a fairly high probability some of it could be in error :wink:

Fact
If you leave this plug out you no longer have a filter you have a reservoir of oil under pressure off to the side that once full does nothing

Just my thought for the day :-k
Again know what you talking about and know how engines work so you don't give out bogus information is what I was getting at. Then you started name calling because I found you wrong. LOL Very interesting
Old 06-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #20
nhramnl

Your response says more about you as a person than I ever could.