Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 11-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #71
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts
Default Re: Not for Nuthin' But Close!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gantz View Post
I'll be honest. I'm a V8, RWD guy. But what you guys are doing here is what Stock is all about!
Ya know, after thinking about this, what are the odds?
A washed-up, loud-mouthed old man who knows nothing about computers teams up with a fresh-faced, wise-*** kid who drives a 5.0 86 Mustang 5 speed with a Holley and they thrash out a totally STOCK, Stock Eliminator car! Wow, a STOCK car in STOCK Eliminator! What a concept! Sounds like a plot for a hit TV show.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #72
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
A washed-up, loud-mouthed old man who knows nothing about computers teams up with a fresh-faced, wise-*** kid who drives a 5.0 86 Mustang 5 speed with a Holley and they thrash out a totally STOCK, Stock Eliminator car! Wow, a STOCK car in STOCK Eliminator! What a concept! Sounds like a plot for a hit TV show.
The Rod Couple
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #73
Doug Hoven

Liked 743 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
It's like a scavenger hunt finding all the nannys. There might be multiple tables throughout controlling the same thing and one may over ride the other. Another thing is to put some good fuel in it and log knock retard, if you see any it's probably false. Start de-sensitizing the knock sensors until it stops pulling timing for no reason.
Before I messed with the minimum spark tables, it was showing a decent amount of spark retard to the point where it was putting the timing back to where it was. With the minimum spark table set to 29 degrees, as soon as you mat the gas, it goes up to 29 degrees and stays there except for the shifts with no knock retard coming up.
Doug Hoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:53 AM   #74
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 704 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
LOVE this thread !
Old 11-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #75
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hoven View Post
Before I messed with the minimum spark tables, it was showing a decent amount of spark retard to the point where it was putting the timing back to where it was. With the minimum spark table set to 29 degrees, as soon as you mat the gas, it goes up to 29 degrees and stays there except for the shifts with no knock retard coming up.
Doug, I haven't used my HPTuners in a few years so I'm having trouble getting into the HPT tune repository. Waiting on e-mails from them on my license to see a stock file for this car, if I can get it I'll take a look to see if I can get more familiar. Good luck on an awesome project.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:27 PM   #76
Tom Meyer

Liked 298 Times in 104 Posts

As with a street car with drivability issues there could be some of the same problems with your car. Sweep testing sensors with a meter could see glitches with your hundred thousand mileage plus car. We have seen small problems with map, tp sensor and knock sensor on the wheel dyno. I will tell you peek HP and torque are at 5500 and drop off big after 6000 due to the intake manifold. Also if you have not pulled the flex off the exhaust manifold you will see that it has a reversion cone at that connection. For some reason this motors do not like much timing. Tom
Old 11-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #77
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Doug and I went to Cecil Co. yesterday for what will probably (not definitely) be our last T&T for the year. There was a good crowd but it wasn't packed and we made 7 runs. Doug tried a bit more timing and it didn't seem to like it so he concentrated on trying to take fuel out. He did switch it over to open loop to start removing fuel. Now, he was taking fuel out just a little bit at a time but the car kept responding. First 3 passes with the air getting warmer and the baro. going down were;
First pass, 15.262 @ 88.23
2nd pass, 15.250 @ 88.73
3rd pass, 15.221 @ 88 90
Doug had to raise the RPM limiter again as the car started bumping into it on the 1-2 shift (more on THAT later).
4th pass, 15.164 @ 89.10 !!!
5th pass, 15.159 @ 89.31 !!!
Now just a little something about the 5th pass, that just happened to be the ONLY pass that Doug has taken in the car. Oh, did I mention that he had a .020 light?
Darned punk kids have no respect for their elders......
6th pass, 15.188 @ 89.11
Last pass, really spun the tires, 15.268 @ 89.11.

Doug brought home my laptop to see if he can post some graphs, he said that I didn't need it anyway. Hmmmm.
Now about the torque management nannys, Doug DID turn them off BUT we are going to have to find some kind of a happy medium between them being completely off and making adjustments to the line pressure graphs. With the torque management off and the line pressure left alone, the trans starts "sliding" into gear instead of crisply shifting. But that's for next time.

Make tech "TECH" again!

Last edited by Billy Nees; 11-29-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:33 PM   #78
Doug Hoven

Liked 743 Times in 144 Posts

Attached is a picture of the main spark table. I only felt the need to modify it from 60 kPa to 100 being that once you go to full throttle the map sensor reads between 98-100. I pretty much copied this table for both high and low octane mode so there is no way the car can change it. The other thing I did was modify the minimum timing table to have a minimum 29 degrees of advance throughout the rpm range. If there are any other tables anyone would like to see, I'll gladly post them on here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cavalier spark table.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	56390  

Last edited by Doug Hoven; 11-29-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Doug Hoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-29-2020, 07:23 PM   #79
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 819 Times in 263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hoven View Post
Attached is a picture of the main spark table. I only felt the need to modify it from 60 kPa to 100 being that once you go to full throttle the map sensor reads between 98-100. I pretty much copied this table for both high and low octane mode so there is no way the car can change it. The other thing I did was modify the minimum timing table to have a minimum 29 degrees of advance throughout the rpm range. If there are any other tables anyone would like to see, I'll gladly post them on here.
What is the compression ratio of this engine? What fuel being used ? Fuel table would be cool.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #80
vic guilmino

Liked 56 Times in 21 Posts

where do you find the minimum timing table