HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
David 7215

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Gas or Alcohol, Carb or Injection??? Survey says??

Hey all, I've always used a carb on race gas. However, it seems more racers are switching to alcohol in the Super classes. This isn't a tech question, I do understand the differences between the 2. I'm more interested if my perceptions about the shift to alcohol is correct. Thanks for any input.
David 7215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Mike Hedger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Gas or Alcohol, Carb or Injection??? Survey says??

I went to a Carb/Alcohol in My dragster when I built it last year (from gas in the door car I had before) I had a Pro Star 500 Magna Flow electric pump to start with but later put on a belt drive pump and since then it has been great for dialing and you can't get the motor hot even in Texas at 100 degree days. I love it but it has been a little more maintence and oil changes. But all in all I would do it again.

I talked with a local engine builder that runs the TCI/FAST FI and he has seen problems with the EFI on Alcohol with the fuel rails corroding and pluging the injectors then melting pistons. But the same guy loves the Rons mechanical FI on Alcohol.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,650 Times in 504 Posts

Mike and David,

If you haven't had your motor apart since your change to alchohol you will be surprised on the amount of wear you will find in the top of the cylinder bores. You probably will have to bore the block and put new pistons in instead of just the standard freshen up of hone and rings. I have never seen this kind of wear in a gas motor. Good luck

Mike
Old 07-27-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Mike Hedger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I run top lube and have had the engine apart after every season (about 300 runs each) and have 4 years on the pistons and block two of them on alcohol. But I also change the oil every other race, gas ported the pistons and run a low tension ring that is made to run alcohol. I also have freshened about 4 alcohol motors and as long as they run top lube and don't flood them when they crank them to wash all of the oil off the cyl walls they are OK. I have had in the past seen the wear you are talking about but they did not run top lube in the fuel.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
SC1448

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wink Re: Gas or Alcohol, Carb or Injection??? Survey says??

I'm sure using a gasoline primer system would help eliminate that concern too.
-Don
SC1448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I ran alcohol injection for 3 years in my dragster and the same engine is now in a S/G car for the last 2 with very little wear issues. I used Klotz Uplon alcohol fuel lube. The same fuel pump is also in use on this engine and has never developed any problems either. The Klotz additive produced no residue problems like some other brands. Marvel Mystery Oil is also a good product to use if your engine is going to sit for sometime or it you want to dump into the engine after every race......MMO also is what I use during engine assembly on rings and cylinder walls and anything else I want a "light" oil on......Alcohol is defiantely my choice on a bracket or super class car. I preferred the Ron's Terminator setup.....

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 08-09-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote