Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #21
jarn05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: What's up with comp ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Are the hood scoop cars running Super Stock fast enough for Comp? I always figured most were running Super Stock because they weren't really fast enough for Comp. Comp is getting very expensive.
Exactly why mine is in s/s and not comp . If the had the time to be at the track every week flogging the death out of it maybe but I race 3-5 times per year
jarn05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #22
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod butcher View Post
The low car counts might be the cost factor? A small block comp motor is in excess of $80,000 for a good one. Add the car, trans, convertor a couple gear sets and spares and your $300,000. lighter, to start.
This is what I was referring to in my earlier post, the cost is got to be astronomical to run a real competitive car.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:02 AM   #23
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,448 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkawboy View Post
Div 6 at Acton Mt this weekend drew 6 in Comp
Just looking at that.
The number 5 doesn't seem so far fetched all of a sudden.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:20 AM   #24
Stock 608

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worner View Post
How can you blame a car count on the fuel?
I am not blaming just the fuel, just stating that it's one of the contributing factors. I run comp and the fuel is def not the same. We haven't had a chance to figure it out since we've been dealing with other issues. Comp has many problems but the cost is probably the main one. Why do we do it? Probably the same reason every racer races because we love it. The challenge of making changes every run to try and pick up small amount. Comp is near the end and I can only see a few more years max. What will we do then, I guess take up fishing.

Last edited by Stock 608; 06-29-2015 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Spelling
Stock 608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #25
boostedf22c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

D3 comp participation seems to be pretty good
boostedf22c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #26
Don Eckel 111

Liked 69 Times in 12 Posts

IMO, the cost of building and maintaining a car and the economy are two of the main contributing factors. The cost of parts and maintenance is self explanatory and have gone up substantially in recent years. But the economy is two fold. Those with regular jobs who were on the edge of competing(or at least competing more often) based on finances, have cut back or parked completely. It becomes much tougher to take time off when work is slimmer. I've found that even those who used to come to the track to help crew can't do it as often for the same reasons. Also consider, in a slow economy, even though they may be better off financially than independent workers, business owners may need to spend more time at the business to make sure it stays afloat. I don't know of anyone personally who has stayed home because of the new fuel.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:18 PM   #27
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've heard that some D1 comp racers are not fond of LVD. We've had good success at that track-I think one of our cars has won 3 times in the last 5 years. Plus the LVD event is soon after two national events and right before another national event that a lot of D1 racers go to. I know that by the time the Epping points race is over, our team will have been to six races in seven weeks. The dedication of Al Ackerman to comp is something to admire. The fact that he builds the engines in my car is the reason I can afford to race comp. I can also tell you that our comp cars probably don't cost as much as a lot (think all the new stockers and SS, perhaps some of the hood scoop SS, plus a lot of TS and may even some TD) of cars out there.

Last edited by david ring; 06-29-2015 at 05:25 PM.
david ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #28
rognelson777

Liked 132 Times in 72 Posts

There is a competitive H/EA comp car for sale on inside comp, aragona car

If you want to try the water, call frank

http://www.insidecompracing.com/showthread.php?t=10804
rognelson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:20 AM   #29
Michael Compton

Liked 59 Times in 12 Posts

As one of the "hood scoop" cars, I can say that I run SS because my car is not even close to competitive in Comp. My issue is not horsepower but chassis. My dad and I basically make the same horsepower but he has a purpose built super modified chassis which makes his car 10 times more competitive than mine. I, on the other hand, have tried adapting a purpose built GT car into a modified class with some success but cannot compete with the new style Cobalts and Cavaliers.

Personally, I would run Comp all day long if I could. I love racing SS as much as anyone but love the thought of no break-out that much more. Unfortunately, unless I switch cars, I am stuck in SS.

Michael
Michael Compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:36 AM   #30
Rusty Davenport

Liked 100 Times in 26 Posts

I am not seeing the new breed of racers wanting to really "think"----I am not seeing the new breed of fan that wants to "think"----this a gross underestimated requirement for class racing and ESPECIALLY comp eliminator. Pardon me for having a reality check but so goes a lot of things around us today.