Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 07-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts
Default Re: Ss/x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy49 View Post
According to what I can find (1972 and 73 rule book) it was 21.00 and over. Was the class only for a couple of years? Or was it more than that?
Just a couple of years. By 1974 SS/U was the lowest class at 18 lbs. Probably politics was at work to get rid of the lower classes. It wasn't because of lack of participation because there were 7 cars in SS/X at Indy in 1973.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #12
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,225 Times in 594 Posts

That's what I was thinking, but couldn't confirm.

By the way, your site classracerinfo is awesome and very easy to use. I have told friends about it and have used it myself for information.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:42 PM   #13
Chuck Norton

Liked 69 Times in 15 Posts

Here's an example of the '60 2bbl combination.

c
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ryan-Hedworth '55 wagon.jpg
Views:	969
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	29687  
Old 07-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #14
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Remember Dwight Cox (Stuttgart Arkansas) running one of these (blue)back in the day.
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #15
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
. Probably politics was at work to get rid of the lower classes.
I would say you are correct, Dwight.
You couldn't have the 14 second 2bbl Chevies beating the factory supported Chrysler Hemi teams now ,could you?

[

[

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 07-18-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #16
Kevin Love

Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

That Black 60 Chevy # 1834 was run by myself and my brother when I was 15.
Had a friend drive it as I wasn't old enough for a licence. That car broke transmissions
and twisted more axles than you would believe as we couldn't afford good parts.
Turned me off stick cars forever!!
Old 07-18-2015, 11:06 PM   #17
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,585 Times in 1,280 Posts
Default Re: Ss/x/ chuck Norton. Photos

Chuck, you sure captured a lot of history in that photo from Harrison County Dragway. Before that 60 Chevy relocated to the louisville,ky. area it was raced by Gregg Luneack in Michigan. It is now owned by Joe Smith somewhere in the northeast. I have lost track of joe in the last few years.The55 wagon was owned by Pat Ryan who later bought the Checkerboard car from Val Hedwoth . The checkerboard car now resides in Hopkinsville, ky. And hasn't been seen at a racetrack in decades. The driver of the 55 wagon in the picture is Shay Smith. After the towing accident and death of one of the Neja brothers, shay drove to California and bought a 57 wagon from the surviving brother. ( sorry I can't recall his first name) . Shay flat towed the car back to Louisville and the car still races two or three times a year , always at the Bowling Green reunion race.The 57 wagon to this day s painted Red with white stripes on the roof. That track, Harrison County Dragway was the first drag strip that I ever went to. On a Sunday afternoon Good Ole Captain Jack asked me if I would like to go watch him race and the rest is ...shall we say history...Ironically one of the first cars that I witnessed going down the track was a 66 nova that belonged to Buddy Hughes....wow chuck, You sure brought back a lot of memories with that one photo. THANKS.......M.J.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #18
Jerry Terry

Liked 447 Times in 132 Posts

The pictures did bring back memories, also spent some time at the Harrison track with Mr Odie Isom. He had a few of those oldsmobiles man what a great time I had couldnt ask for better memories, Thanks Mr Isom and thanks for the SS/X thread. Keep the pics and stories coming. I know you have some MJ.
Jerry
Jerry Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #19
Chuck Norton

Liked 69 Times in 15 Posts
Default Re: Ss/x/ chuck Norton. Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Chuck, you sure captured a lot of history in that photo from Harrison County Dragway. Before that 60 Chevy relocated to the louisville,ky. area it was raced by Gregg Luneack in Michigan. It is now owned by Joe Smith somewhere in the northeast. I have lost track of joe in the last few years.The55 wagon was owned by Pat Ryan who later bought the Checkerboard car from Val Hedwoth . The checkerboard car now resides in Hopkinsville, ky. And hasn't been seen at a racetrack in decades. The driver of the 55 wagon in the picture is Shay Smith. After the towing accident and death of one of the Neja brothers, shay drove to California and bought a 57 wagon from the surviving brother. ( sorry I can't recall his first name) . Shay flat towed the car back to Louisville and the car still races two or three times a year , always at the Bowling Green reunion race.The 57 wagon to this day s painted Red with white stripes on the roof. That track, Harrison County Dragway was the first drag strip that I ever went to. On a Sunday afternoon Good Ole Captain Jack asked me if I would like to go watch him race and the rest is ...shall we say history...Ironically one of the first cars that I witnessed going down the track was a 66 nova that belonged to Buddy Hughes....wow chuck, You sure brought back a lot of memories with that one photo. THANKS.......M.J.
The '55 wagon was the one that Pat Ryan bought from Val. Val drove the wagon and a couple of other cars ('55 4-door and '56 2-door wagon) while winning the Division 7 Stock Championship in '71, then switched it to SS/V and won the Super Stock Championship with it in '72. He sold the '55 to Ryan and delivered it to him just after the U.S. Nationals in '72.

c
Old 07-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #20
Painter

Liked 161 Times in 45 Posts

Pat may have bought the checkerboard car from val, but it was or had been Tim Neja's car. Tim was killed in the towing accident. There were two cars painted almost the same, lettering slightly different. Tim's brother Tom has faithfully restored the other car. It is gorgeous. And yes the other one is resting, i visit it when in Hopkinsville. Made a lot of laps in that old car, saw a lot of win lights. Great ol car.
Painter is offline   Reply With Quote