Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #51
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts
Default Re: Ss/x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Miller Jr View Post
Frank Jordan SS/X , He had some neat stories about that car, would have been cool to race in that era.
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:55 PM   #52
Bob Park

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Cool Re: Ss/x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhofer View Post
I found some old pictures your 1972. The brown two door wagon I was talking about looks like a 1956( so probably a 265 CI) but I can't tell for sure since I only have a small portion of the car in the picture. The name on the side is " Slater & Packered" I think and it has " Points Champion" Toronto International Raceway on the side. I can't scan the photo but I hope this helps
Dave
I built that 57 wagon in 1967 and sold it to Bob Slater after I got married in 69'. It was a 265 cu in with a 3 spd stick. I still have all my paper work from back them somewhere. In 72' he broke his leg in a car accident and called me to drive it. We won 19 out of 26 eliminators that year. It would run a .10th under anywhere and the only guy to beat me if it didn't break a trans or clutch was the late Joe Kenney at a now long gone track called Golden Horeshoe Dragway outside Toronto Ontario.. The guys who raced then still call me the cheater or the leaker for using a removable plug from the rear of the carb in 2nd gear. NHRA outlawed the vacuum leak in Aug of 72'. I gave the car and the money it won back to Slater that fall and never saw or heard about it again..
Old 07-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #53
dhofer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Park View Post
I built that 57 wagon in 1967 and sold it to Bob Slater after I got married in 69'. It was a 265 cu in with a 3 spd stick. I still have all my paper work from back them somewhere. In 72' he broke his leg in a car accident and called me to drive it. We won 19 out of 26 eliminators that year. It would run a .10th under anywhere and the only guy to beat me if it didn't break a trans or clutch was the late Joe Kenney at a now long gone track called Golden Horeshoe Dragway outside Toronto Ontario.. The guys who raced then still call me the cheater or the leaker for using a removable plug from the rear of the carb in 2nd gear. NHRA outlawed the vacuum leak in Aug of 72'. I gave the car and the money it won back to Slater that fall and never saw or heard about it again..
Thanks for sharing the story of the 57 wagon. it brings back a ton of good memories of racing back then. They never had a problem with car counts then. The pits were always full.
Dave
dhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #54

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

“As far as who the "hitters" were in SS/X...Kronenbitter would be top spot with the "Bits-n-Pieces car.”

“Vacuum leaks were hard to stop back in those days on those Rochester 2 barrels”

These thread comments have brought back many memories. My brother and I ran SS/X in a '60 Chevy, 283/3 speed stick in the '72 season, attending the 72 Indy Nationals only to get "caught up" in vacuum leak deal. The Bits-N-Pieces car was pitted near us and offered a couple shifter side plate linkages after breaking. http://talbotracingteam.wink.ws/indy%20letter.htm

We never did qualify, but it was an experience that turned us to Brackets the next season!
Ralph T.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	indy nats letter1972.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	29943  

Last edited by 1720; 08-04-2015 at 08:46 AM. Reason: adding details
1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #55
dhofer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1720 View Post

“As far as who the "hitters" were in SS/X...Kronenbitter would be top spot with the "Bits-n-Pieces car.”

“Vacuum leaks were hard to stop back in those days on those Rochester 2 barrels”

These thread comments have brought back many memories. My brother and I ran SS/X in a '60 Chevy, 283/3 speed stick in the '72 season, attending the 72 Indy Nationals only to get "caught up" in vacuum leak deal. The Bits-N-Pieces car was pitted near us and offered a couple shifter side plate linkages after breaking. http://talbotracingteam.wink.ws/indy%20letter.htm

We never did qualify, but it was an experience that turned us to Brackets the next season!
Ralph T.

Ralph
We also attended Indy 72. Our SS/W car was also "caught up" in the "carb leaking" mess and we also didn't qualify. We did have the fastest "W" car there but got beat on a hole shot. Given a heads up on the rule change I know we could have gotten to the record with a cam and gear change. I remember your letter to the editor well since all the cars had to run on the records and they were all set the same way. You did a great job of expressing the frustration of all the "X & W" competitors that made the trip to Indy and were blindsided by the rule change. In "W" we weren't in as bad of shape since the min. was never broken but still a hard number to hit.
Originally we just didn't tighten the carb down tight and that worked pretty well. Later we tried different things. The car ran best when we drilled and tapped the underside of each intake runner in the intake manifold and installed a carb. jet I can't remember what size but the air came from the breather tube at the back on the motor, the carb jetting was adjusted accordingly to match the increased air flow. In any case the motor really responded to this and the car flew.
Dave
dhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #56
mtkawboy

Liked 54 Times in 18 Posts

The leaks never stopped, they just became a bit more sophisticated, I was there, P/S 59 Biscayne 283/185 4 speed. Was it wrong, yes, I guess it was but if every car that cheated a little got tossed there would be no one there to race.
mtkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #57
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked