HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-26-2015, 01:40 AM   #1
PontiacManiac
Live Reporter

Liked 24 Times in 1 Post
Default It's not just Pro Stocks Problem....

As all of you know NHRA had their meeting this morning regarding the future of pro stock. While everyone will agree that its time for an upgrade in the class like the changes to EFI.... I can't say that they are attempting to do anything to grow our sport. The sportsman racers have felt it for years. We come to an NHRA race because we want to win some of the most prestigious drag races of all. However, we pay outrageous entry fees, race for little money, get scratched from rounds, pushed to the side....which we might gripe about but at the end of the day it is all worth it to win that Wally. The meaning of that Wally at the end of a Sunday means exactly what Wally Parks wanted it to for us drag racers. It wasn't just meant for the Force family and the Schumachers....it was meant for the Fletcher's, Biondo's, and the Average Joe's too. What I see happening in Pro Stock is just a reflection of how the leaders of NHRA have treated us sportsman racers for years.

Out of the pro stock racers I know... none of them were even asked about what they think would help the class or what they would like to see in the future. Were supposed to believe a press release that says their making efforts to improve our sport and striving towards the future but what about all of us that make up the heart of NHRA.... For example, look at the post from John Gaydosh of face book...

"They are going to kill the little teams like us if you want to see flat hoods and smaller engines go watch super stock or go watch the copo and the Mustang and the chalanger in the factory show down .We like the challenge of trying to go faster with what we have pro stock has evolved in to what it is for a reason. Its the hardest class to compleat in don't complain about a class you don't run in and make changes that you think will make it better with out asking how it affects everybody in the class. I like the change of Turning the cars around and other things but explain to me how this change is going to bring more people to race this class and how this is going to be cheaper for us little guys or anybody else now all the cars are going to be fitted with new front ends and what about the K&N challenge what happens to that sponsor a lot to think about everybody wants to fix something that they don't even spend thier hard earned money on you don't see any of the pro stock drivers complaining about anything but we need more tv time to help promote our sponsors not a split screen with fuel car teams working on their cars show us doing what we do best turn a car around and go and make the best cars out their run fast"

While I personally don't know the answers to fix the class or NHRA... I do know the way it has all been handled is heartbreaking. I feel for the guys who have worked for years with passion for a class they loved, and the ones like Bo who have dreamed of racing such a "drivers" class...all the years of dedication to NHRA didn't matter in the decisions that were made, their opinions didn't matter, their ideas got nothing more than a "next question please" response. I was even told that when Greg Stanfield mentioned raising the purse to help the class with these changes and to help bring in new racers he was told "It is not up for discussion". V. Gains even asked about the future of comp and was told that the sportsman racers are a portion but their not professionals and they don't effect the bottom line.

With all this being said, I ask those of you who love the sport and NHRA like I do... What can we do to fix the problem and take back a sport we love?
PontiacManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts
Default Re: It's not just Pro Stocks Problem....

Unfortunately NHRA quit listening to their most valuable assets long ago, it's racers. With comments like the one about Comp it really shows the ignorance of the leadership, where do they think a lot of the ideas and technology originated to get us to where we are today?

The situation as it stands now reminds me of a drug addict, often they have to hit rock bottom before they turn things around. Let's hope for the future of our sport that NHRA doesn't have to go that far.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Look at the photos of the Div 3 points meet grand stands. If the entries were to decrease....... Lucky most are addicted to attending an NHRA event and have their car already. When more and more guys retire then it might become critical.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #4
PontiacManiac
Live Reporter

Liked 24 Times in 1 Post
Cool Re: It's not just Pro Stocks Problem....

I like how on TV last night our NHRA leaders act like they worked so hard to come up with this decision they made for pro stock. Half of the questions that were asked at the meeting couldn't even be answered because they haven't thought about things far enough ahead yet. Just like they didn't think ahead when the comp numbers started to decrease across the country. If that is Pro Stock's feeder class then what did you think would come next...? They are doing the same thing to top alcohol classes right now... they've been shunned into some weird regional points system and shut out of a lot of national events... Now look at our fuel categories and the car counts. Do you think it hasn't had an effect on those car counts? Rumor has it they had to pay several of the drivers in both categories just to show up and get full fields here in Denver!

You know what it the craziest thing of all in all of this...? Not one person on our team can even point Glen Gray out of a crowd. I am at my 9th National event this season and I can't tell you who our VP of Tech is? That is unacceptable. As a matter of fact I can't tell you what one person on the whole Board of Directors at NHRA looks like. Bo said he couldn't imagine making his business work without meeting his employees and customers. So, how do NHRA High Up's expect to survive without knowing us? Heck, even Henry Ford III has came over to our pits, hung out a minute, and thanked Bo for being a part of the success of the Cobra Jets! Yet our NHRA leaders can't?

I am not ranting to put NHRA down in any way. I believe in what Wally Parks started for all of us but I will not accept it's demise by non-racing leaders that run it like the government. So I challenge all you higher ups at NHRA.... come on out and meet us racers. I promise you'll have more fun in our sportsman pits then you've ever had at a National Event. Then you can walk around the track with a smile instead of a scowl and you'll see the real heart of NHRA. You might even learn something while your at it!
PontiacManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #5
keith ohanesian

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Randi Lyn,
Great post. Ken should have some sort of like button. There really is no way to fix this. The biggest problem is you will never get the 9000 sportsman racers to agree on anything. 2/3rds of them will never put the time in like they say they will. Most will just sit in the trailers and bitch about how things have changed and give into it. Let someone else take the heat for speaking out. Think about everyone you know in this sport and what they do for a living. How succesful they are in the business world. It's crazy how they let themselves get pushed around the way they do just to belong.

So trying to fix this... Unity is the start. Not just Sportsman races but all of you guys and girls. Pro's and sportsman. They keep dividing up the racers. ( pros, alcohol and sportsman) Divide and conquer.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
Harmie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
Unfortunately NHRA quit listening to their most valuable assets long ago, it's racers. With comments like the one about Comp it really shows the ignorance of the leadership, where do they think a lot of the ideas and technology originated to get us to where we are today?

The situation as it stands now reminds me of a drug addict, often they have to hit rock bottom before they turn things around. Let's hope for the future of our sport that NHRA doesn't have to go that far.
Try IHRA they will listen to sportsmen!!!!!
Harmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #7
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 393 Times in 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmie View Post
Try IHRA they will listen to sportsmen!!!!!
IHRA seems to understand Sportsman love the way they crown there champs with a race of the best of the best from each division reminds me of the Jegs All Stars
Old 07-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

I have raced a lot with IHRA and enjoyed every race with them. Unfortunately their schedule didn't work for me this year and I really enjoy 1\4 mile racing better. I'm sure I will be back to IHRA in the near future but there's still something about chasing that Wally.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'll tell you the truth, Pro Stock is boring. All the cars look the same, use the same engine (basically) and take far to long to run. If they insist on running those unidentifiable bodies put them in Comp, make it "all run" situation. It will draw attention to Comp, make Pro Stock compete with other cars besides themselves and make it more interesting to the fans.

Oh, do away with fuel and alcohol cars so the real racers can race.

JimR
Old 07-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #10
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treessavoy View Post
I'll tell you the truth, Pro Stock is boring. All the cars look the same, use the same engine (basically) and take far to long to run. If they insist on running those unidentifiable bodies put them in Comp, make it "all run" situation. It will draw attention to Comp, make Pro Stock compete with other cars besides themselves and make it more interesting to the fans.

Oh, do away with fuel and alcohol cars so the real racers can race.

JimR
The fuel racers really act like they're "the shyt" in drag racing. Personally I wish they would go away for good. Alcohol cars are OK for those who like them...........
Pro Stock really is boring ..............and this from a racer / fan who used to love Pro Stock , but anymore I don't even have much interest. After the Glidden , Johnson , Iaconio and RMS days , it hasn't been the same.
And now the bodies have morphed into Jelly beans.
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote