As of today, my guess is very few

This is a sad situation for sure
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:46 PM   #22
RNNChrisbarnes

Liked 184 Times in 38 Posts
Default Re: more news from NHRA

http://www.e3xtreme.net/2020-news/20...apers-attached

Court documents are attached to the article.
RNNChrisbarnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:10 PM   #23
rognelson777

Liked 132 Times in 72 Posts

So will NHRA survive? Anybody have a idea of what mello yellow money covered? I hope they have enough revenue from memberships, licensing, chassis certs and divisionals to continue sportsman racing. If not, class racing is dead. Sad
rognelson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:28 PM   #24
Brian Oakes

Liked 398 Times in 110 Posts

Now all you wally hunters, ya should have attended the ClassRacer Natl's last week, and for the rest of ya's that didn't attend, heard Trump might help out, Maybe be he will pay loser money, for the other supporters
Brian Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:28 PM   #25
Chuck Westcott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My understanding is the Coke $$ paid for the Pros and apparently the Heavy Top End Salaries -- as They don't pay entry fees and collect the purses -All Sportsman Paid the entry fees. Sad to read all this for sure !!
Old 09-21-2020, 10:37 PM   #26
B Parker

Liked 2,312 Times in 455 Posts

I'm surprised Mr. Cromwell would even write this. Is he hoping for another Sponsor to read this and step up to replace Coke as you sue them. Your Major Sponsor since 2002. Are you looking for sympathy from your members. The majority being Sportsman Racers. The ones you didn't seem to really have time or money for anymore except for a few National Events. You put the majority of your eggs in a few Sponsors baskets while you chased off so many smaller ones threw the years. Making it so expensive they didn't stay. Most of which paid contingencies to the Sportsman racers. For the last several years it seemed like every few months you added another Executive Position while I for one had hoped we would see one that actually was hired to promote Sportsman Racers. Yes I realize that most of the crowds come to see the Pros but what have you really done to promote Sportsman Racing. You have the greatest traveling car show on earth and you have done nothing to promote this. You seem to have forgotten some simple business rules. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Don't chase off paying customers. Don't forget the road you traveled to get where you are. You may need to travel down that same road again some day. You put yourself into this position and yes I understand about Covid-19. I own a Restaurant. It's been my most profitable year to date. I have always understood I'm in the customer service business and this year I'm getting paid dividends for all the years I treated all my customer like they were the most important one. Barry
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:26 PM   #27
sully3358

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Coca Cola paid $5.7M per year. Roughly 6% of the NHRA’s annual revenue. I found that to be surprisingly low.
sully3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:54 PM   #28
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 652 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully3358 View Post
Coca Cola paid $5.7M per year. Roughly 6% of the NHRA’s annual revenue. I found that to be surprisingly low.
While 5m is alot suing for 6% of your gross sounds like it's not worth it. Surprised someone has not stated Trumps fault. ( insert sarcasm)
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:06 AM   #29
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 456 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully3358 View Post
I saw the same figure as you.....30 million for a 6 year deal. Plus, $2 million a year for enhancements (I hate the word. Lol). Like the Mello Yello experience, shooting t shirts out of the cannon. Semi and personal. So, roughly 36 million for a 6 year deal. Draw your own conclusion as to whether that is a lot of money or not.
My "gut" feeling is that they can work it out, and will. It has been too good of partnership for so long. If you read the law suit, you will notice that Coke made a pretty good offer before walking away. IMO, NHRA has to cut Pro expenses to survive. I read a comment by a fuel racer...."it costs $200,000 for me to race one race. If I win, I only get $50,000"...he is in the wrong business.. I haven't figured the payout plus the end of year payouts for fuel cars, would be easy enough to do.......for sure, the expense has surpassed the value for fuel cars, and if you are drag racing to get rich......try something else. Hope it works out.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:43 AM   #30
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
I find this to be a very poorly thought out move by the NHRA. I really hope that the organization survives.
I hope that NHRA survives this. It seems the leadership is out of touch with their sponsors just like their racers. I find it a little disingenuous to call the sponsor family then sue them. I wonder if they considered pro stock truck racers family.

I do think that there is enough demand among class racers, that class racing can and will live on. The reality is that NHRA has forced class racers to realize that they don’t need NHRA to race on. (Even though I would prefer that). Look at the many associations that are thriving out there. There is a market for class racing if they choose to go after it.

I think NHRA as a whole is great and there are great people there. The leadership at the top don’t impress me though. Their focus has not been on the type of racing that interests me the most.

Last edited by james schaechter; 09-22-2020 at 08:05 AM.
james schaechter is online now   Reply With Quote