HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
Brad Hawk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Question '70-71 Mopar 440-6 / Hemi Stocker oil pan & volume

What oil pans do the '70-71 A-C/S 426 Hemi and 440-6 cars use? I know the '70-71 OEM pan was a 6-qt (w/ filter?) model. Do Stock Eliminator cars use the repro pan like Mopar Performance and some other places sell? Are the baffles modified (extended or?) , or do the rules mandate using an unmodified pan? Since I use the MP repro pan w/ my 10-second street/strip Challenger, I'm curious if there are any typical mods done to improve oil control.

Also, with 5 qts in the pan and 1 in the filter, my OEM 440 dipstick shows "full" w/ my repro pan, so that's as much as I've ever run in it. However, I know people using this pan who run 6 + 1 in the filter. Does that raise the level in the pan enough to cause any windage issues, even w/ a louvered tray?

FWIW, the "5 + 1" approach showed steady oil pressure from 3500-7000 RPM on the dyno. Also, I haven't been aware of any pressure fluctuation issues on the track, either, but I still wanted to ask about running the extra quart.

Thanks!
Brad Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
Moparteacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: '70-71 Mopar 440-6 / Hemi Stocker oil pan & volume

I think you'll find you neither need nor want 6 quarts of oil, even if the pan holds it. I suspect you'll find a windage tray and crank scraper with less than 5 quarts will give good results.

I'm running the MP pan on my 383. Well......not really running, more like the oil is sitting in the pan, the pan is in the car, and the car is in the garage waiting to be finished.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
Chris DeGidio

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: '70-71 Mopar 440-6 / Hemi Stocker oil pan & volume

Brad, I sent you a PM about this and then I thought of something else.Dave Dudek or Joel Nystrom uses that same pan as you on their Hemi FAST cars.One of them baffled it and had pictures of it on Moparts,you might want to look at it there.I'm sure it was Dave's post with the pictures.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
Brad Hawk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: '70-71 Mopar 440-6 / Hemi Stocker oil pan & volume

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't considering running any less than the current 6 quarts (total) , but was simply wondering if I should be running any additional oil if the system could handle it. Sounds like what I've been doing is OK.

Re: the F.A.S.T. cars' oil pans... I'll have to go digging around on Moparts to look for the picture mentioned. I actually saw Dudek and some of the other F.A.S.T. Mopars at MIR a couple of weeks back (event rained out, unfortunately) and it didn't occur to me to ask about this.
Brad Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote