HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Stockerstang

Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
Default Altitude adjusted tracks

I was wondering how NHRA figures out records set at altitude adjusted tracks. I'm thinking if records set at these tracks are accepted, it must be an accurate formula to employ.
Stockerstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Altitude adjusted tracks

SWAG=Scientific Wild Assed Guess
Old 09-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 803 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rhodes View Post
SWAG=Scientific Wild Assed Guess
I think it was NHRA Darrell Zimmerman that originally used the corrections and the reason was that if there were no corrections at any altitude track a racer would "never" have a chance to set a national record like at below seal level tracks in corrected altitude so in fairness NHRA decided to have the corrections done base on a lot of comparisons . The altitude corrections are right on when corrected to sea level ,if you think it is easy to run at a High altitude track I welcome you to go to Denver and see just how hard it is to make your car run at 9,000 corrected ft ,get in shape cause your body even can't breathe . Ask Bobby Warren how hard it is to run on the Hill at Denver . He knows as he as ran there a lot . I remember in the late 70s or early 80;s not sure when Bobby was at Denver and he ask Herman Chapman how to make his car run at this altitude , I seemed to recall Bobby changed just about everything in his to car ,not much helped . Now there is great air at Denver just like when there is below sea level air at sea level tracks FYI The Correction are dead on NHRA did Good

Last edited by Don Kennedy; 09-26-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Don Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kennedy View Post
I think it was NHRA Darrell Zimmerman that originally used the corrections and the reason was that if there were no corrections at any altitude track a racer would "never" have a chance to set a national record like at below seal level tracks in corrected altitude so in fairness NHRA decided to have the corrections done base on a lot of comparisons . The altitude corrections are right on when corrected to sea level ,if you think it is easy to run at a High altitude track I welcome you to go to Denver and see just how hard it is to make your car run at 9,000 corrected ft ,get in shape cause your body even can't breathe . Ask Bobby Warren how hard it is to run on the Hill at Denver . He knows as he as ran there a lot . I remember in the late 70s or early 80;s not sure when Bobby was at Denver and he ask Herman Chapman how to make his car run at this altitude , I seemed to recall Bobby changed just about everything in his to car ,not much helped . Now there is great air at Denver just like when there is below sea level air at seal level tracks FYI The Correction are dead on NHRA did Good
of course we don't get a correction factor when its 4000DA at a track with a real altitude of 6', but when the DA is 3000' at a 5000actual altitude track you can set a record that can't be duplicated. There have been records set at altitude tracks that were wayyy off from what anyone had actually run at a "non factored" track.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 682 Times in 264 Posts

Chad,
That is funny, but it is a little better than a SWAG.
There are formulas.
Have a chat with Patrick Hale.
A while back he had a discussion on the Comp Forum about what and how NHRA implemented their adjusted numbers. If memory doesn't fail me he even had figured out a better, more accurate formula.
Stockerstang,
In my early years I was associated with aviation. The aviation world has some pretty good ways of calculation power loss for altitude. Think what happens when you need full power to take off at an altitude airport. It takes a lot less power to fly in than to fly out.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 803 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rhodes View Post
of course we don't get a correction factor when its 4000DA at a track with a real altitude of 6', but when the DA is 3000' at a 5000actual altitude track you can set a record that can't be duplicated. There have been records set at altitude tracks that were wayyy off from what anyone had actually run at a "non factored" track.
When the air is good at Denver say corrected to around 5,000 ft that is when records are set , now when the air is good at a sea level say 200 feet corrected or better that is when records are set also . I would have to say that most of the time the correction factor is dead on . and as usual any one who wants to Go to A High altitude track to set a record i suspect you should just like when the air is good at a sea level track same Great air different altitude

Last edited by Don Kennedy; 09-26-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Don Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
Stockerstang

Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the info. glad to know calculations NHRA uses are 'dead balls accurate' LOL. Was curious and am happy to know this.
Stockerstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Question Re: Altitude adjusted tracks

No disrespect Don, but I just have to wonder what it is that gives you such a different outlook on life than 99% of the others on this forum? Politics, racing, etc. it doesn't seem to matter. You have an unusual thought process. Not bad, just interestingly unusual. Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
John Kelley

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This is the current correction list..
Some tracks are no longer NHRA...and some are gone..... :-(

http://www.nhra.net/tech_specs/altitude.html
John Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
Tom Meyer

Liked 303 Times in 106 Posts

I have run my super stock car all of this great nation and have set records at both altitude and sea level. When comes down to it it is all about air you get good air in denver you run fast just the same if you get good air at Atco. You still have to have a good car and have your tune right. If I remember right the chart used by nhra was aviation and about power loss due to altitude. The corection factors may be alittle off but remember NHRA is in charge of it and to get them to get it right might take years. All I can say it is close and we that race stock superstock have a lot more things to worry about than this. Tom