Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #411
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: Ford vs Chevy Build-up

Brian -

The only vacuum line I have hooked up on the car is the one you recommended to the fuel pressure regulator.

This sensor I replaced yesterday is the Map, correct?

The Baro is one I have not seen. Where in the engine bay/harness would it be located if in fact it is still present?

Edit : Ok, seems the sensor pictured above is actually a "BAP" sensor. I asked for a Map sensor at the parts store...any difference? At any rate this is the only sensor that resembles this in the engine compartment. Found this link for sensor locations... http://www.cjponyparts.com/tech-fox-body-engine/a/170/

Found this link also... http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=19336.0

Fuel line fittings just arrived and I'm off to re-plumb the system as recommended. I also have a one wire alternator in hand so I can finally stop worrying with the thought of low voltage being a player in all of this.

Last edited by HandOverFist; 05-02-2015 at 12:40 PM.
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #412
black88coupe

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

The BAP/ MAP sensors are pretty much the same thing. On my factory speed density setup a vacuum line attaches to the sensor. When you are running factory Mass Air you would remove the vacuum line from the sensor and just leave the port open. I can't comment on how it is done with an aftermarket setup.
black88coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:23 PM   #413
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Got it pretty much done today. The new Bap sensor shows no change on the screen of the controller...I may at a later date check voltage/Hz readings per Brian to see whats up with it.

I do have a 3-bar MAP sensor that came with the PMS. I think it was used in a blown application. Not sure if it could be used in my case...it would require a harness/connector that I do not have on hand.

Fuel system is now plumbed correctly. I have the regulator set at 36psi...will need to check what it does at WOT. For now the car starts easily and idles well with no loading up.

One wire alternator installed and working wonderfully.

Coolant catch can in place.

Pulled it out on the concrete pad out front to check the brakes/linelock. No hesitation at all when stalled to 2800rpm and stabbed WOT.

Buster, the useless guard dog.

Pinion angle set around 4 degrees. As far as I can tell it's ready for the track as soon as the front-end is aligned. Hope to have the car at Bowling Green next Saturday evening for a shakedown run.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:56 AM   #414
Dave Noll

Liked 219 Times in 105 Posts

Just for reference, the BARO reading in this area (elevation 1050) is about 157Hz. Different area's will vary, higher elevation, lower Hz.

Earlier I wasn't really suggesting locking out the O2 sensors. I just wanted to know if that particular unit had the capability. @ full throttle the stock ECU ignores input from the O2's, uses pre-programmed values until throttle goes under about 80%.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:16 AM   #415
Tony Corley

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Car looks good Rich. It has been a great build to watch, you should be proud.
David, the Anderson Ford PMS he is running is a piggyback system that will allow the factory ecm to do as much or as little as you want. If I remember correctly, it can go into full standalone mode over 2000 rpm, if you want it too. They are a good, simple system to use.
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:03 AM   #416
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Yes, I have standalone activated @ 10 percent TPS and 2500rpm for the fuel and timing tables. I have taken 10 percent fuel away @ idle and zeroed the values @ WOT due to the 24 pound injectors pending wideband readings on the track. The Acell table was a stab in the dark, but my initial programming seems close by yesterday's stabs on the concrete pad.

I did not dabble at all in any of the part throttle settings. My only concern atm is will the engine start easily, idle cleanly and be sufficiently lean at WOT. Btw, I changed out those Southside lift bars for straight lowers for the time being...figured the less I had to deal with getting it down the track to begin with the better. I did put the swaybar back on...will see after the first outing if an airbag in the RR will be needed.

Last edited by HandOverFist; 05-03-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #417
fordteacherguy

Liked 147 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Yes, I have standalone activated @ 10 percent TPS and 2500rpm for the fuel and timing tables. I have taken 10 percent fuel away @ idle and zeroed the values @ WOT due to the 24 pound injectors pending wideband readings on the track. The Acell table was a stab in the dark, but my initial programming seems close by yesterday's stabs on the concrete pad.

I did not dabble at all in any of the part throttle settings. My only concern atm is will the engine start easily, idle cleanly and be sufficiently lean at WOT. Btw, I changed out those Southside lift bars for straight lowers for the time being...figured the less I had to deal with getting it down the track to begin with the better. I did put the swaybar back on...will see after the first outing if an airbag in the RR will be needed.
Rich,

Looks like you are getting in the ballpark..thats the toughest hurdle to get over. Keep the digital factory baro..the analog GM MAP will not work without programming and a harness and it has no advantage to your Baro sensor. If you wish to see if your baro is responding on your controller, take a reading with the key on engine off and apply some vacuum to the baro port with a hand pump and see if the baro changes on your scanner. If it changes ...I guess its working and responding...the HZ check on the sensing wire will tell for sure.

Good luck on the shakedowns...I'd shoot for about a 13:1 A/F to run well, my ET falls off a bunch below 12.8.

Good Luck!
fordteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:13 AM   #418
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Thanks Brian - I need to weld another bung in the collector for the wideband before Saturday for sure. If I understand this PMS correctly when in standalone mode it will try to maintain a 12.8 A/F ratio. I may in the end need to take it out of standalone and manually input data to get it leaner at WOT.

You were correct about the timing advancing wildly under light load...I have seen up to 42 degrees winging the engine at the shop in the controller screen. It would probably be money well spent to invest in some type of recorder to review all parameters with known settings after a blast down the track. Considering this... http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.co...icro-flashacq/

Last edited by HandOverFist; 05-05-2015 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:35 AM   #419
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Loaded for the early morning alignment appointment. Those low profile ramps were the best solution I could come up with to be able to open the door over the trailer fender with this low slung pig. The next time I load I will try elevating just the fronts or rears to see if it clears. I did manage to get the O2 bung installed while on the trailer for the wideband sensor. Initial outing will be with those Goodrich TA radial DOT tires on it...18psi sound about right with a light burnout? If the car shows potential I will order some M/T 26" drag radials.

Last edited by HandOverFist; 05-06-2015 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:21 AM   #420
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

Those ramps look interesting. How tall are they, and where did you buy them?