HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-12-2024, 09:29 PM   #41
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 415 Times in 200 Posts
Default Re: Beware of Summit Branded braided hose!!!

20 years, no leaks, no fitting failures and now retired. That's the performance and duty life you get from American made products and from a leader in the industry. You'll never get that from Chinese JUNK!
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:38 PM   #42
Jim Hawkins

Liked 109 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
If you want a great braided hose designed for motorsports, that will not collapse, that is compatible with all fuels, retains, and does not permeate or leak fuel vapors, I recommend the Goodridge G-Line XF 811 hose. Due to having a full length Teflon liner, therefore, it requires the use of Goodridge fittings also.

Another option is using general aviation steel braided hoses that meet the requirements of MIL-H-83797 or FAA-TSO C53a, Type A such as Aeroquip 601/AE701 hose and it is compatible with AN and MS fittings. A good source for the Aeroquip hose are stores like Aircraft Spruce.

Both of these hoses do not have a shelf life. There are some MIL-SPEC and SAE spec hoses that have a limited life of 10 years.
This hose and fittings look much better for a race car application than the industrial products I am familiar with.
Thanks for the info!
Jim Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:42 PM   #43
CMcAllister

Liked 748 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1legjerry View Post
I use XRP. I bought a Fragola fitting once because i heard good things about them I throw it in the trash as soon as I compared it to a XRP.
I agree, the finish on the Fragola hard parts may not be as nice as some of the others, but, they seem to be equally reliable and have decent IDs, which some don't.

They are a bit more cost effective than most other US made stuff. People have budgets.

They seem to be mostly in stock at the regular places while others have been a bit spotty as far as certain things being available at times. Frustrating when you can't get a particular piece to match what you are already using.

They offer many odd, peculiar, non-standard parts, pieces and configurations which come in handy for particular situations.

Just my observations.
CMcAllister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:25 AM   #44
curtis reed

Liked 89 Times in 50 Posts

I have used some of the Brown and Miller crimped end hoses and you simply will not find a better hose or fitting. Their convoluted PTFE hose will bend smaller radii than any other brand of Teflon lined hose. They are in no way cheap though.

I have also used XRP and although they are a fantastic brand they are a step below in comparison to the Brown and Miller stuff. JMO

https://bmrs.net/
curtis reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-13-2024, 08:52 AM   #45
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,615 Times in 379 Posts

I bought some stainless line kit from Amazon
Same kit summit sells $60 less
Seems like most vendors use China anyway
It is what it is
American is ruined by the big box stores
All in
Old 03-13-2024, 09:28 AM   #46
Michael K

Liked 62 Times in 17 Posts

I've always used steel line as much as possible because I like working with it. I'll need to pay closer attention to the braided flexible connections though. Thanks to the OP for the heads-up.
Michael K is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-13-2024, 09:30 AM   #47
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 415 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis reed View Post
I have also used XRP and although they are a fantastic brand they are a step below in comparison to the Brown and Miller stuff. JMO
there is no equal no mind better than Brown and Miller. XRP is the best option in non crimp AN fittings and hose.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:34 PM   #48
sst7250

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
what brand Al? Most leaks are caused by end user assembly, not failure of the fitting or hose.
Well lets just say I spent many years in the USAF in hydraulics, so the end user is NOT the issue. I hydraulically pressure test every line I make to ensure there are no issues before install, using the correct equipment and procedures.

As foir what brand lets just say it is a very popular brand mentioned here. Bottom line is parts fail, sometimes stuff gets by QC, it happens. I am not looking to throw anyone under the bus.
sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 03:40 PM   #49
Dan Bennett

Liked 359 Times in 82 Posts

It was mentioned upthread that the fuel was the problem. I agree.

Think about it - there are all sorts of grades of fuel, but do you have any idea of what they're made up of? Or because of the universal move to cost cutting if those chemicals have changed over time?

I used to work in an industrial setting working with pumps and piping that carried very nasty liquids, including one that would melt glass. There are a LOT of polymer materials available because different chemicals attack different things. The different versions are made to withstand different things.

So it is not out of the question that the liner breakdown could be eliminated, though it's highly unlikely it ever will be. You have to know what you're working with, and only the fuel suppliers do. They're not going to share their secrets.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 02:18 AM   #50
Tom P

Liked 224 Times in 90 Posts

Rubber inside the hose rots and the braid hides the cracks. I used to get hose free off a friend that worked at a helicopter place. They change the hoses on a scheduled basis.
But five years seems to be all that is safe unless you use Teflon lines. I got a 25 ft roll of 1/2" steel line and -8 fittings from Summit and ran two 12 ft lines from the pump to the regulator up front and a return.
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote