Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-29-2023, 02:06 PM   #41
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 503 Posts
Default Re: Jr Dragsters At Divisionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160_v2 View Post
You say this while giving no thought to the possibility that a car set up ideally for the .90 classes is not the same as an ideal bracket setup for the same car.

Ed's assessment of the mentality of many S/SS racers toward the other classes (many; not all) is spot-on.
I have no issues with the ,90 classes. I have several friends that run there. There is a big difference between the engines in the two classes. The guy that does my machine work also builds quite a few ,90 engines and I have seen how they are built. Big Heavy rotating assembly built for longevity. My SS engine is just the opposite small light crankshaft, rods and pistons. Built for optimal power and high rpm. That is why most of us don’t bracket race our cars.
Old 11-29-2023, 02:36 PM   #42
Lenny5160_v2

Liked 156 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
I have no issues with the ,90 classes. I have several friends that run there. There is a big difference between the engines in the two classes. The guy that does my machine work also builds quite a few ,90 engines and I have seen how they are built. Big Heavy rotating assembly built for longevity. My SS engine is just the opposite small light crankshaft, rods and pistons. Built for optimal power and high rpm. That is why most of us don’t bracket race our cars.
I understand why a S/SS racer wouldn't go bracket racing. The issue is your assumption that the .90 racers more easily can, or consider it an equally appetizing substitute.
Liked
Old 11-29-2023, 05:49 PM   #43
Dan Bennett

Liked 353 Times in 78 Posts

I'm going to make a comment which some racers here won't like.
I spent hours looking at a monitor which displayed the timing clocks. For some reason, I got in the habit of watching the time duration from one pair to another. The super classes took - by far - the most time for any non-pro category.

Lots of professional sports have seen the problem and introduced clocks of some sort. If the same thing were introduced to staging (with different standards for classes that need more time and those who don't) there would be plenty of unused time to run even a very large field of juniors.

I realize that the racers have developed a process but imo because of monkey see, monkey do. A large part of their routine serves no real purpose but "the fast guys do it". And yes, even the class I spent most time in - Pro Stock. There is no need for that wheelie bar check and adjustment on the line. I'm expecting micrometers to start getting used.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 06:15 PM   #44
goinbroke2

Liked 174 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bennett View Post
I'm going to make a comment which some racers here won't like.
I spent hours looking at a monitor which displayed the timing clocks. For some reason, I got in the habit of watching the time duration from one pair to another. The super classes took - by far - the most time for any non-pro category.

Lots of professional sports have seen the problem and introduced clocks of some sort. If the same thing were introduced to staging (with different standards for classes that need more time and those who don't) there would be plenty of unused time to run even a very large field of juniors.

I realize that the racers have developed a process but imo because of monkey see, monkey do. A large part of their routine serves no real purpose but "the fast guys do it". And yes, even the class I spent most time in - Pro Stock. There is no need for that wheelie bar check and adjustment on the line. I'm expecting micrometers to start getting used.
You mean I don't need 45 guys at the line, backing me up, slapping the car, giving thumbs up for no apparent reason....oh wait, that's no prep...lol
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-29-2023, 07:58 PM   #45
Mike Schwartz

Liked 192 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stasko View Post
The top 10 points earners in S/SS last year ran more races than a regular local bracket racer did for points. The average in the National Top 10 is 12-14 races. I checked three tracks, with three different sanctions, and two ran 10 points races, while one ran 11...
I don't know if this applies to your point, but ET racers rarely race only a single track's points races and nothing else. For example, I competed before the era of big-money multi-day bracket races, and I raced up to 40 times in a single year, just hitting all the multiple local tracks weekly, with the rare road trip.
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 02:34 PM   #46
Steve Stasko

Liked 230 Times in 121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schwartz View Post
I competed before the era of big-money multi-day bracket races, and I raced up to 40 times in a single year
How many of those tracks that you ran are still open, and running bracket programs?
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 02:57 PM   #47
57chevy3407

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'd bring my daughters JR, but I would also understand being a support division that due to weather or track conditions we may get bumped.
57chevy3407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-02-2023, 12:32 AM   #48
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,886 Times in 642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schwartz View Post
I don't know if this applies to your point, but ET racers rarely race only a single track's points races and nothing else. For example, I competed before the era of big-money multi-day bracket races, and I raced up to 40 times in a single year, just hitting all the multiple local tracks weekly, with the rare road trip.
Same happens around here, the 3 local tracks which Kinston, Coastal Plains in Jacksonville and Galot have 15 or so points races per season. They very rarely compete against each other on the same weekend and you have many racers around here that run for points at all of them so you're looking at 40 to 45 races per year for some of those racers. Granted not all of them but I can think of 30-40 really hardcore racers that do this many year after year.
Old 12-02-2023, 01:08 AM   #49
Mike Schwartz

Liked 192 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stasko View Post
How many of those tracks that you ran are still open, and running bracket programs?
I was based in north Jersey starting in '76, so three out of the four NJ tracks open at that time have shut down. Many parts of the country weren't blessed with the number of tracks needed to race locally 40 times a year.
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 01:18 PM   #50
mike natoli

Liked 52 Times in 16 Posts

South Mountain will be hosting the DIV 1 Jr. Drag Racing League 2024 Divisional. SPRING THAW

TRI-STATE STOCK/SUPERSTOCK ASSOCIATION + .90 1/8 Mile TNT
PRESENTS FIRST “SPRING THAW” SUNDAY APRIL 14, 2024
GET YOUR 1/8 MILE DATA EARLY TNT
Jr Dragster NHRA DIV 1 HOST TRACK 8/22-24/2024, get the lay of SMR
TEST n TUNE $60 ENTRY FEE/SPECTATOR $15 JR. DRAGSTER $40
CHILDREN UNDER 12 FREE ACCOMPINAED BY ADULT.
GAMBLERS RACE *ADDITIONAL FEE*
ALL STOCK/SUPERSTOCK MUST BEABLE TO DIAL ON OR UNDER NHRA CLASS INDEX’S
.90 INDEX
SUPER STREET 6.90 ET – SUPER GAS 6.30ET-SUPER COMP 5.70ET
No Unmuffled engines STARTED until 10:30 AM
PLEASE BRING RUN CARD WITH YOU TO STAGING LANES
LISTEN FOR ANNOUNCEMENTS ON PA & FM 103.7
Visit our website and on Fb page @ southmountainraceway.com for more details about SMR
Gates open 8:00am 11:00 Time Runs- Eliminations 1:30pm
Saturday and reserved parking available by appointment
Track phone 717-323-0210
PAYOUTS ½ HOUR AFTER FINAL ELIMINATION THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE, WE WILL TRY TO GET YOU HOME AT A REASONABLE HOUR Note
IF A PROBLEM OCCURS WITH YOUR RACE VEHICLE ON THE TRACK. BRING IT TO A SAFE STOP. TOWARDS THE OUTER EDGE OF THE RACING SURFACE. WE WILL COME GET YOU. PLEASE DO NOT END UP ON THE WALL OF SHAME
mike natoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked