HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-31-2015, 09:29 PM   #31

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Rockers for stock Eliminator 5.0 SBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
If I was determined to go that route I would can the conversion and just have the pedestal bases machined down for standard screw-in studs. http://www.mediafire.com/view/mq88m1...M-6564-All.pdf

That would be a valid DQ.

As per the 2013 nhra rule book, (the latest one I have), section 10A page 3, stock class rules..............cylinder heads...........quote "Any evidence of modifications from the original castings will be grounds for DQ"..........here comes the good part............quote "as determined by nhra in nhra's sole and absolute discretion"

Any lawyers in the house?? What does "sole and absolute discretion" mean??

I had several 5.0 class racers tell me to wack the pedestals for studs. So I asked Bruce one year at Somona. His answer............"absolutely no"

I run the oem rocker, fulcrum and bolt with a shimmed lifter, works just fine.
Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by 7423; 05-31-2015 at 09:31 PM.
7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:06 PM   #32
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7423 View Post

As per the 2013 nhra rule book, (the latest one I have), section 10A page 3, stock class rules..............cylinder heads...........quote "Any evidence of modifications from the original castings will be grounds for DQ"..........here comes the good part............quote "as determined by nhra in nhra's sole and absolute discretion"

I had several 5.0 class racers tell me to wack the pedestals for studs. So I asked Bruce one year at Somona. His answer............"absolutely no"

Your mileage may vary.
Granted...I use pedestal mount myself. My point was "if" someone were determined to go with studs I would absolutely forgo that conversion crap for a conventional stud arrangement.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:07 PM   #33
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7423 View Post

Your mileage may vary.
Don't see how, Charlie.
They're talking about port modifications.
Screw in studs have been legal since forever. When they start DQing Chevies and early Pontiacs, then I'd worry about that rule.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:18 AM   #34
Tony Corley

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

The rules seem pretty cut and dry to me. They state pedestal mount must remain pedestal mount, and stud mount must remain stud mount. If it was a pressed in stud, then replacing with a screw in stud would still be legal, because it would still use the same style of rocker arm mounting.
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:03 AM   #35
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 57 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Corley View Post
The rules seem pretty cut and dry to me. They state pedestal mount must remain pedestal mount, and stud mount must remain stud mount. If it was a pressed in stud, then replacing with a screw in stud would still be legal, because it would still use the same style of rocker arm mounting.
I agree.

Slickfoot, are you breaking the 5/15 pedestal rockers? Is that the issue?
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #36
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

I believe the OP is in the midst of a build and just trying to clarify the rules.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #37
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts

The reason this rule is clear as mud is because many people across the country are getting different answers from their tech guys...

it was legal in the PAST to cut off the pedestals and make it a stud mount. You had to make it work with stock parts which was very doable on the E7 head as we did it. When they changed the rule to allow the aftermarket rocker arms this became illegal. The rule clearly states that if it was pedestal it has to remain pedestal. if it was stud it has to be stud and if it was shaft it hast to be shaft.. there is no way to misinterpret the rule the way it is written..

The biggest issue is people have gotten away with having a different style rocker setup for so long no one went back and changed their setup when the rule changed. And I would venture to guess that people that "have had it this way for years... why is it illegal now?" have gotten away with it in tear down. Why is that fair to the new guy that now has to follow the new rule? Luckily it looks like I got a set of the rocker arms the OP is looking for before Ford racing stop making them. otherwise I'd be in the same ****ty place he is.

BTW we have a set of heads the we had about $2000 in that are now illegal the way the rule is written.. guess what, we took them off the car cause it's ILLEGAL.

I wish I had some ides for the OP as to what to do. Was actually going to be in the market for another set soon and this will make things difficult.

Brad
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #38

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

After 4 pages of comments and thoughts from various racers, we have about a 50-50 split in opinions. We can all read English but here lies the problem. The nhra gospel does not spell out an answer in English. Their ruling is covered under that verse "sole and absolute discretion" . Have you ever noticed how often that phrase is used in the rule book? East coast rules, west coast rules, this techs rules, that techs opinions........all "absolute discretion".

That being said, I was very happy to witness a tech official (thump) the side of my battery during fuel check this past weekend at Fontana. Maybe there is hope.....................
7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #39
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 57 Times in 27 Posts

Don't the Ford Racing rockers the OP was looking for have to be shimmed as well?
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #40
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,494 Times in 426 Posts

I just saw a machined pedestal turned screw-in stud equipped with roller rockers and guideplates set the record last week and pass teardown. I was very happy for them, they are my friends and we helped them in the teardown but I kinda gulped when I saw the heads and got really nervous for them but it was not questioned at all. All the other aspects of the head and block were checked and passed.