Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-14-2014, 12:42 AM   #11
goinbroke2

Liked 173 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: 8.50 158 stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Curcio View Post
I had a chance to talk with Mr. Fezell at the Maple Grove Nat'l Event. He said his CJ is more aerodynamically stable than his Super Gas car with big tires and a spoiler. "A Cadillac" as he described it.

Yet another reason these cars are worth the money.
He actually meant "like a lincoln" LOL!
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
Superfan1
VIP Member

Liked 2,344 Times in 409 Posts
Smile Re: 8.50 158 stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
I was pitted next to an A/SA new Mustang run by a man who owns a company that works on a lot of those new Mustangs. JDM performance.

His car was very nice....all black and a 5.0 engine...

He went 9.77 I believe on one run....

I assume this was a 4 valve dual overhead cam engine but that is just from looking at the valve covers and front of the engine....and the intake is more of a tunnel ram with a throttle body.....a big one....LOL
That man was Jim D'Amore who owns JDM performance and is one of the nicest guys that you will ever meet.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #13
Jim D'Amore
Sponsor

Liked 65 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfan1 View Post
That man was Jim D'Amore who owns JDM performance and is one of the nicest guys that you will ever meet.
Superfan,

I looked for you on Saturday up by where you were parked. I have something for you, call the shop and ask for my son Jim Jr 732-780-0770. Give him your address and he will ship it to you. I think you'll really like it! I will be out of town for the next few days.

Jim D'Amore
Old 10-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #14
Nick Heath

Liked 497 Times in 114 Posts

I had the chance to talk to Don a couple of years ago at Indy. A great guy who almost always runs it out the back door, whether his he's heading for the wall, heading for the center line, spinning the tires, or on the back bumper. I love watching that car go down the track!

Don has always had one of the fastest CJs in the country, and this record is well deserved. You can tell his team has worked hard on that combination - even though the negativity crowd will try to convince me that nobody with a new car ever does any work on their car - I'm certainly impressed!
Nick Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
Superfan1
VIP Member

Liked 2,344 Times in 409 Posts
Smile Re: 8.50 158 stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Heath View Post
I had the chance to talk to Don a couple of years ago at Indy. A great guy who almost always runs it out the back door, whether his he's heading for the wall, heading for the center line, spinning the tires, or on the back bumper. I love watching that car go down the track!

Don has always had one of the fastest CJs in the country, and this record is well deserved. You can tell his team has worked hard on that combination - even though the negativity crowd will try to convince me that nobody with a new car ever does any work on their car - I'm certainly impressed!
The first time that I spoke to Don was at the Charlotte National Event in 2009, and we have spoken countless times since then. I agree 100% with everything that you said. He and his team work hard and run harder!
Old 10-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #16
FS Fan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
Pro Stockers used to run 8:50's back in the early 1980's !! The cars now are so much faster ... it's hard to comprehend.
First, congrats to Don! Very cool car and it's great to see him out there.

It's interesting to look back at 1980, a turbo 4-cylinder Mustang ran the 1/4 in 18.2 second then, http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...swallow-page-2
Ford Racing just ran a deep 12-second ET with minor mods on a 2015 Mustang turbo 4, I'm betting the car can go 13's bone stock.
Street cars have picked up 5 seconds in 35 model years so race cars picking up several seconds doesn't seem odd. I know it seems like it wasn't that long ago, but....
Also in 1980 Pro Stock was still had some ties to Stock and Super Stock. They looked like real cars and had engine parts that were semi-compatible with street cars. In fact many of the Pro Stock cars from then look like Super Stock cars now. http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-...al-installment
FS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #17
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Normally yes, he already owns the AAA/S record so now he has the AAA/SA record as well....amazing (insert your term here____) to go that fast on a 9 inch tire. Fastest I've been in a door car is 9:20 at 148 and that felt pretty fast on a 14/32 tire.
14/32 tire in stock?
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #18
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Whaley View Post
14/32 tire in stock?
Ford Option...............Just gotta check the right box!
Old 10-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #19
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
Ford Option...............Just gotta check the right box!
It might have been a 9X30 "W" tire?? Lol.... so tread width could have been.....
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #20
Jim D'Amore
Sponsor

Liked 65 Times in 17 Posts

Superfan1,

As everyone knows Don is a stick shift guy, period. For the past year and half I've been trying to talk him into the Automatic. He said "No Way!" He ran an 8.55@160 in Gainesville Nationals at the beginning of the year with the stick. After his surgery following the Gainesville race it got hard for him to pull the shifter with all that Torque. So again I brought up the automatic. Again, He said "No Way!" Well after Bristol I called a good friend of mine, Bob Glidden and his old crew chief and son Billy Glidden to speak with Don about the Automatic. After 2 years of me trying and him saying no way, he gets off the phone with Bob calls me and says put the automatic in it. Even though Bob is not racing anymore he still does a lot to help racers out. Him and Don have spoke after every race since the Automatic went in the car. Between Bob and his son Billy, with Billy Racing NHRA Pro Mod he comes over to speak with Don every event they are at together. Bob spent time with Don at Indy this year as well.

You are another good fan to the sport, I've met you a couple times and I got to spend some time with you at the Dutch Classic. So I'm posting this one thing I am sending you. There is other stuff in the box with it, because you are a Ford Super-Fan!

Click to enlarge the image, autographed by Bob, His Wife Etta, and Billy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6413.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	26218